Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 12-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
The.Relics Avatar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Firstly, am I correct in assuming that the character in the intro movie fighting the shadow thing is a Warlock?
And are the shards that we are looking for pieces of the shattered sword?

Now about the class. I notice that the Warlock is listed as an evil character.
Does the Warlock suffer penalties or loss of abilities if they stray into good or lawful alignment as the Barbarian or Black Guard do for example?

Has anyone played this class?
If so, what do you think of it?

[ 12-19-2006, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: The.Relics Avatar ]
The.Relics Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

What exactly is a Warlock, anyway? I never heard about one, except as a Prestige Class, before this one in NWN2. What is he? What does he do? What are his stats and abilities?
Old 12-19-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
Zebodog

The Warlock can also any Chaotic, not just evil.

I've recently hit LVL16 in Act 3 with a CN Warlock. I'm finding the character to be very plain and one dimensional for the last few levels. Not very flexible. Unfortunately the game seems to hand out alignment shifts in a very odd manner? I've selected dialogue decisions that should clearly result in a specific swing, but it doesn't so roleplaying CN is challenging without causing alignment changes. Not sure what happens if you stray outside of those restrictions though.

I guess you'll have to keep playing the game to find out what the shards are. It's a pretty decent storyline once it gets going. [img]smile.gif[/img]
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Thank you Zebodog. Yes, I posted before I had a chance to read the manual thoroughly on the Warlock, it looked like it might be interesting to play. But if it suffers penalties or loses abilities with alignment changes toward good, it wouldn't work out for me.
I was looking to break out of my Baldurs Gate Kensai/NWN Monk routine and try something different.
The.Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Good point. I was reading up about alignment shifts and it seems that the only alignment that will take severe penalties is Lawful Good. The farther you move away from it the less severe the penalty. So that might be why you didn't notice any drastic change on some of the choices you made.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:24 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I started off a warlock character but had trouble playing him - I didn't know whether to use him as a ranged backup character or a melee (light) tank. He wasn't as powerful an offensive spellcaster as a sorcerer, but not as useful a back-up spellcaster as a wizard.

I gave up on him and started off with another, but I reckon he'd have been useful if I'd doubleclassed him as a rogue and used some of those non-offensive invocations (the dex enhancing one, the invisibility one, etc).

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Thanks Memnoch. My Monk always ends having to be a medium Tank to help protect my casters, and I noticed in NWN2 that enemies will break off from tank battles and go after archers and casters who are hitting them. I was kind of hoping that a Warlock would be a good combination of some fun mild offensive/defensive spellcasting and medium tanking if necessary. But from what you and Zebodog have to say, I'm not sure if it is well suited for the role I would need it to play.
Plus my Monk has such fantastic saves, it is hard to want to break from that when my other party members keep getting diseased, poisoned, and other misc., maladies around me.