Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2003, 01:14 AM   #11
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Desuma I'm gonna hope the Baldurdash fix pack works over this little full-plate backstab thing?
Nope, I'm afraid it doesn't. If you have a thief who can also wear the heavier armors, either through being multi-/dual class or having UAI, it can be done. Have your thief carry the heavy armor in his inventory and hide in shadows. Sneak up behind your target and pause the game. Go to the inventory screen and put on the platemail (or whatever). As long as combat has not been initiated the game will let you do this. Then go back to the game screen. You are still in stealth mode and can backstab! True, this is extremely cheesy, but I love the mental image of a thief "silently" putting on full plate while his poor victim doesn't even notice what's going on behind him!
Old 04-11-2003, 03:45 AM   #12
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

I never could picture a Half Orc backstabbing.

I could however picture a stealthy Half Orc coming up behind somebody and bashing somebody's skull to meaty bits with the pommel of his sword or a nice heavy club. Ouchie!

I had a Gnomish Cleric Thief in PnP that used an enchanted iron frying pan given to him by the Hearthmistress. I never could understand how he could backstab with that, but, he dealt some brutal crushing blows. He was a fine cook, an inventor of cookware, and used his thieving skills to steal cooking gadgets from rival Gnomes. He had a Frying Pan of Bashing, a Fork of Fear, and a Spoon of Eye Gouging. (Custom item.. when used, said Gnome would leap up into the face of the enemy. On a successful attack, victim must save vs death at a big penalty or lose an eye)
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 08:22 PM   #13
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Butterfingers, your gnome sounds like a chef of many talents I wish that I'd had him as one of my chefs about a year ago when the KFA was open for business at IW. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2003, 10:11 AM   #14
StarVid
Elminster

You can backstab while sanctuaried, right?
Old 04-12-2003, 11:00 AM   #15
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

You shouldn't be able to. The instant you make an attack the Sanctuary immediately goes down.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:21 PM   #16
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Sanctuary only lasts while you are non violent.

A Cleric Thief has some unusual abilities. Like free potions of Master Thievery. Casting DUHM can improve your thieving skills considerably. A Thief's poor THAC0 is fixed by the variety of Cleric spells that not only add THAC0, but, also make sure that maximum damage is done per strike.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 04:34 PM   #17
StarVid
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Desuma Malevois:
You shouldn't be able to. The instant you make an attack the Sanctuary immediately goes down.
Right, but considering it functions just like an invisibility spell, it technically should work, right? I'm just wondering if anyone has actually tested this. Considering how many 1st level spell memorizations the cleric gets, this would be a pretty powerful tactic.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:45 PM   #18
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by StarVid:
Quote:
Originally posted by Desuma Malevois:
Right, but considering it functions just like an invisibility spell, it technically should work, right? I'm just wondering if anyone has actually tested this. Considering how many 1st level spell memorizations the cleric gets, this would be a pretty powerful tactic.[/QUOTE]I have tested it, and it doesn't work. Something that does work, however, is putting up a Blade Barrier followed by Sanctuary. Then just walk into your opponents without attacking them. Of course, a regular cleric can do this too......
Old 04-14-2003, 07:14 PM   #19
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Ahh....but does casting Assassination break Sanctuary?