Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-25-2004, 03:38 AM   #1
Jorath Calar
Harper

Well, I've been using Firefox 0.9 for about 2 months now, I like it very much and have almost completly dumped IE. But there is one thing that bugs me, it seems slow... at least slower than IE. This is especially evident on Forum sites were I can sometimes scroll down faster than the pages loads, and on pages with many huge pictures it seems to take forever to load.

Mind you, I have ADSL which is pretty fast and I don't get the hang ups when using IE.
I still take Security over speed though, I was just wondering if others had the same trouble or knew any tips on how to fix it... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2004, 04:51 AM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I'm guessing it's because it's checking every images and cookies to see if it's on your security list.

It happen to me sometimes too, but I don't mind it, since it's still loading pretty fast.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:49 AM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Hm.. regardless of loading times, the lack of spyware related pop-ups still makes Firefox considerably faster in my eyes
Old 09-25-2004, 06:15 AM   #4
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I used to use IE, but now I've got Firefox, its good, but sometimes as you said scrolling down big topics takes time, you'll get a few posts down, wait, and then the page gets bigger. It isn't exactly slow, but IE is faster in that instance.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:34 AM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Well I am also using Firefox and I love it. It's pretty fast but sometimes it gets a little slower then IE. But still MF is better then IE IMO.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:42 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

It's slightly slower but I'd rather have my Firefox window slower because all my tabs are there and have my whole PC slow because I've got too many IE windows open.

Old 09-25-2004, 08:15 AM   #7
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

i have an overclocked AMD 2800+ with a gig of dual channel ddr 400 and firefox as a program actually runs slowly, it takes AGES to load, and is slow at browsing, it selectively works on some pages and not others, and is genrally unreliable. I also dislike tabed browsing immensley.
IE is faster and more efficent, i'd take speed over security in a heartbeat, besides it isn't that unsecure especially with win xp sp2 installed.
Don't choose firefox just because it's not made by microsoft, choose it for other reasons, IE's a good enough browser, don't change if you don't have to.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:34 AM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Remember that M$ wants you to like IE, that's why it's INGEGRATED into the OS. Firfox is a stand alone, and has to code match, just like any other program other than M$.
Make sure you have the newest version. 0.9.3 that's available.
IE code = load what is available, and let the user figure it out.
Firefox code = Check it twice before loading, don't load something the user doesn't want.

The flip side is, what may take a moment or two longer to laod, you don't waste on closing pop-up ads.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:49 AM   #9
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
Remember that M$ wants you to like IE, that's why it's INGEGRATED into the OS. Firfox is a stand alone, and has to code match, just like any other program other than M$.
Make sure you have the newest version. 0.9.3 that's available.
IE code = load what is available, and let the user figure it out.
Firefox code = Check it twice before loading, don't load something the user doesn't want.

The flip side is, what may take a moment or two longer to laod, you don't waste on closing pop-up ads.
so they want you to like it, is that saying mozlla doesn't want you to like it's product? and in xp service pack 2 you can choose a non default browser such as firefox, and why would i want the code double checked, why would i want something slower, and sp2 has an inbuilt popup killer, or you could run an independent popup killer if you're not using xp. So for me i have a fast browser which saves time and i don't close popups anyway, so even better.

I'm adament in my like of IE, especially the latest serviced version
Old 09-25-2004, 09:57 AM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
i have an overclocked AMD 2800+ with a gig of dual channel ddr 400 and firefox as a program actually runs slowly, it takes AGES to load, and is slow at browsing, it selectively works on some pages and not others, and is genrally unreliable. I also dislike tabed browsing immensley.
IE is faster and more efficent, i'd take speed over security in a heartbeat, besides it isn't that unsecure especially with win xp sp2 installed.
Don't choose firefox just because it's not made by microsoft, choose it for other reasons, IE's a good enough browser, don't change if you don't have to.
Very interesting concept. An overclocked medium range machine actually under performs my daughters web surfer. I threw together an old 233, 64MB ram, gen 1 x86 series for her. She has high speed internet, and surfs right along with the rest of us. It handles all those 'girl' games well, and word processes just as fast as she can type.

Like you say, "IE's a good enough browser" AMD 2800 is a good enough porcessor, why overclock? Could it be we all want what WE want, and not what *THEY* think we want? Or, is there a hidden agenda with your stock portfolio?

If you trust M$ to take care of *YOUR* security while on the net, you might want to receheck their history. Why do you think every OS has needed an SP, and why is it always M$ has the hits from the net? When's the last time you heard of Mozilla/Firefox being brought down? I'll take a slightly slower, but safer browser any day. Reason 1, it ain't from M$, so it's likliness to get attacked is like nill. Reason 2, it ain't from M$.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.