Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 08-19-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Did my first ever 25 man raid ever!

Did my first ever raid, Gruuls Lair, and we killed the fcuker!!!

And with my noob S1 pvp gear I still came 11th in DPS.

Raiding's pretty cool, actually. As long as you have a good bunch of guys with you. I may be inclined to allocate about 30% of my WoW time to raiding instead of PvP.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Did my first ever 25 man raid ever!

LOL just realised this is a piss easy raid, but it was fun anyway for a first time.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
Lavindathar
Harper

Grats!

Gruul was never originally that easy, but it is the easiest of the 25 main raids.

Bear in mind, Gruul was designed to be ran after Karazhan, progress wise. So it was originally completeled by guilds with 25 people in half epic/half blues, grow 16-18 was the norm.

And High King Maulgaur was a very tricky fight at the start, especially the initial pull.

Now just start running Karazhan every week, get some PvE epics over your S1 Epics, and you'll get further and further. Keep running Gruul and Maggy as well, to collect PvE gear.

Then you can move on
Old 08-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm running Kara for the first time tonight as well, so wish me luck.

We wiped more on High King actually than Gronn. Couple of times our healers died, another time our mage tank died. It was so satisfying to finally put him down.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Ran Kara for the first time tonight and we cleared the following:

- Attumen
- Moroes
- Maiden of Virtue
- Wizard of OZ (Dorothy etc)
- Curator
- Shade of Aran
- Chess Event
- the satyr looking guy who sacrifices you
- Malchezzar

No wipes except on Netherspite where we wiped once and called it a night as it was 1am. Got a couple of nice epics that my guild was kind enough to let me have (because they've been farming and nobody wanted them lol). Came 3rd in DPS behind our hunter GM and a lock.

I'm finding it pretty fun! It's not as boring as I thought it would be. Good alternative to PvP.

Last edited by Memnoch; 08-21-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavindathar View Post
Grats!

Gruul was never originally that easy, but it is the easiest of the 25 main raids.

Bear in mind, Gruul was designed to be ran after Karazhan, progress wise. So it was originally completeled by guilds with 25 people in half epic/half blues, grow 16-18 was the norm.

And High King Maulgaur was a very tricky fight at the start, especially the initial pull.

Now just start running Karazhan every week, get some PvE epics over your S1 Epics, and you'll get further and further. Keep running Gruul and Maggy as well, to collect PvE gear.

Then you can move on
Lavvy, how hard is Magtheridon compared to Gruul/Kara? I want to sign up for it as we have a run on Monday.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
Zink Whistlefly

I don't know what it is about raiding, but I still haven't run Kara or any 25 man raids on my rogue yet!

There must be a good 20 odd badges there from that run Mem! How long does a kara clear usually take? Time is usually the issue for me, as I "dip in and out" of WoW for an hour or so a night (longer at weekends). I really want to give it a shot though before WoTLK comes out.
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
Lavindathar
Harper

If we take our mains, we clear kara in like 1hr 30mins, at most. A brand new kara guild, all greens and blues will take 3-4hrs. My alt did it today in less than 2hrs.

But we never do that, as we are a bit beyond Kara gear .

And Kara = 22 badges with every boss.

Mem, link some of your new stuff

And tbh, Magtheridon is now easier than Gruul. It was nerfed so badly with regards to the cube clicking (you used to get a debuff so the same person couldn't click twice in a row). Now the same person can click his cube the whole fight.

You will be fine mem, especially as a rogue. Ranged DPS click, all you have to do is DPS.

But you will have no issues, we regularly Pug Magtheridon and Gruul, and ive ran each one multiple times on my alts...both on my warrior and my shaman. And my Shaman has only been 70 for 2 weeks.

Just go do it, have fun, and get some PvE loot.

PvP is fun when you have 20mins spare, PvE is fun constantly.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Zink Whistlefly

Jeepers 1 hour 30 mins sounds crazy for 22 badges

I'll have to give it a shot then. Long bank holiday weekend ahead for us brits

BTW I have never seen so much activity in this forum until today - yay!
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink Whistlefly View Post
I don't know what it is about raiding, but I still haven't run Kara or any 25 man raids on my rogue yet!

There must be a good 20 odd badges there from that run Mem! How long does a kara clear usually take? Time is usually the issue for me, as I "dip in and out" of WoW for an hour or so a night (longer at weekends). I really want to give it a shot though before WoTLK comes out.
Took about 3 hours till we downed Malchezzar (with no wipes other than Netherspite when we called it quits). I think I ended with 20 badges or something. I was new but the other guys running had been doing it for a while so they knew all the strategies etc. Our GM was awesome on vent, he gave clear instructions that even I could understand, having never done the instance.

The Gruuls one took quicker, obviously only two boss fights - what took so long was getting ourselves organised, waiting for people etc.

Doing it again tonight - actually I have a question. I'm going with a different raid leader and group (same guild) tonight, does this mean that the instance will be "new" to me again? Because apparently we'll be finishing Netherspite and Nightbane with my other group (same guild) on Sunday.

Last edited by Memnoch; 08-21-2008 at 01:21 PM.