Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-07-2001, 05:49 PM   #1
Blackwolf
Dungeon Master

I don`t remember Mindflayers being this bad...

My party just got back from killing Firky the dragon. There was myself, a level 10/12 fighter/thief, Keldorn, Anomen, Minsc, Jaheira and Aerie. All of us were well-equipped, Keldorn had the Holy Avenger sword, I used the dragon sword and shield I found in Firky`s dungeon and Balduran armour from the bonus merchants (my AC was -8).

In the sewers on my way to the Eyeless Cult, I happened across a secret door that led to a handful of Mindflayers who literally wiped out my party in seconds. I admit that I was feeling cocky after killing Firky, but this was just silly.

I reloaded the game, tanked up on defensive magics and tried again. Killed one (1) flayer before getting trashed again. And again and again and...

Any survival tips for this section?
Old 10-07-2001, 05:58 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Chaotic commands will stop them from stunning you. Use ranged weapons, esp if your intelligence is low, because they drain intelligence and when you reach zero, you're dead. I usually go in with 2 or 3 people with chaotic commandsand haste, and leave everyone else in another room, then draw the mindflayers out one by one.

------------------

Goddess of Undress
Co-owner of the Evil Petting Zoo and Sorceress of the HADB
OLD COOTS eye candy and Disrobed Division of the ORT
And her sidekick Pink

"High hopes...an endless river...forever and ever"
Old 10-07-2001, 06:24 PM   #3
Kezardin
Elminster

Blackwolf,

try to give at every member of your party at least +2 missile weapons (for example sling of everard, sling of seeking, elven court bow) teamed up with +1 or +2 ammunition. Often you can whack flayers before they get close.

If Anomen (or any cleric, really) is 15th level summon skeleton warriors which can turn the flayers into floppers

Have any character in hand to hand combat with the flayers put potions of genius in one of their quick use slots - drink as needed to counter any INT drain caused by the flayers.

Kez
Old 10-07-2001, 06:48 PM   #4
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

I wondered why they killed all my characters (bar me cause I ran away only to get killed by some gollems). I didn't know they drained int. Oh well. I'm a cleric now I'll summon some skellingtons. Thanks Kezardin.

Warby
Old 10-08-2001, 01:16 AM   #5
Blackwolf
Dungeon Master

"Have any character in hand to hand combat with the flayers put potions of genius in one of their quick use slots - drink as needed to counter any INT drain caused by the flayers."

-----

Thanks guys.

My INT must be the problem here. When I created the character, I redistributed some INT to STR and now Blackwolf is strong, but a bit on the thick side.