Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-18-2001, 01:48 AM   #1
LSRVIKING
The Magister

Is Haer'dalis any good? I need another decent fighter for my party thats not of good alignment.

My party is
Me - Chaotic Evil Invoker
Korgan
Yoshimo
Jaheria
Edwin
Old 08-18-2001, 02:12 AM   #2
Mordar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would not recommend Haer'dalis, he IS more a fighter like bard, but why not take a good figther and replace him with Sarevok in ToB? You can do a quest for Haer'Dalis anyway and he doesn't have to join your group. I didn't take him, but it could be fun for a while. But as a bard (blade kit) he has little lore and his songs don't become better.

So, if you have Jaheira, take for instance Valygar as sort of a fighter (stalker kit) and give him two proficiency with weapon style. Not everybody has to be evil. Or do take Minsc. He's strong. Although I prefer Viconia over Jaheira. She advances much faster as a pure cleric. Give here gauntlets of ogre strength, some real armor and crom feyr. Oh, and her special abilities are deadly as well.
Old 08-18-2001, 10:11 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

HaerDalis will be much better in ToB, so if you want someone different and are planning to segue into ToB then he's not as useless an investment as before. It just takes a very long time for his value to appreciate.

------------------
Old 08-23-2001, 11:44 AM   #4
NiamhFoxling
Dungeon Master

I'm rather fond of Haer..though admittedly it took me a while to really make him useful for my party. I definately prefer his responses and voice to a lot of the other NPC's, which is a cheezy reason to pick him, but I'm a cheezy sort of person.

I gave him a ring of regeneration later in the game, and basically use him as backup for my front-liners more than a front liner himself. With improved invisibility, he's a right sneaky fellow, and also, he IS the best pickpocket NPC out there. I had him picking shadow thieves' pockets, and got some nifty items off them.

I just have him scoot around the fringes of a fight, and lend his blades and spells to another party member who's getting hit hard. Also, he's now my magic-breacher. I couldn't find any offensive spells I really liked for him, so he's the one who uses 'breach' 'pierce magic', etc on the bad guys while Aerie and Imoen smite them from a distance. The spells seem to have success more for him than for the girls too, but maybe that's just me.

------------------
Playing the cutest li'l Chaotic characters since 1996.
Old 08-23-2001, 11:49 AM   #5
HooC
The Magister

This not a reply to question, but I use team

Me (Elf Kensai)
Minsc
Keldorn
Jan Jansen
Yoshimo
Aerie

Haer'Dalis is a lethal fighter when you have +3 Melodic Chain Mail and Ring of Protection of so. Reason why I don't use Haer'Dalis is that my Elf Kensai is better than haer'dalis (at least I think so).
Old 08-23-2001, 12:16 PM   #6
starloc
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have read mixed reviews of HD and I am currently playing with him in a purely evil party. I have found up until now,(he is 17th level) that he is at best a backup mage and a very poor fighter. I know he has good AC with stoneskin etc. but he just does not seem to deal out enough damage. I am still keeping him around though because I have had him for the whole game and he puts up with my extremely low rep. of 2. Anyway, I don't think that I will use him again after I beat the game with this party.

------------------
"Cry Havok, and let loose the dogs of war!"
Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare
Old 08-23-2001, 02:33 PM   #7
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
HaerDalis will be much better in ToB, so if you want someone different and are planning to segue into ToB then he's not as useless an investment as before. It just takes a very long time for his value to appreciate.

Is this some sort of a hint Memnoch??

------------------
In the foul darkness one figure will emerge to save the world from evil and despair.... Light flashes as his sword comes down, and thunder rolls through the sky when he points his sword up to heaven to signal his victory....People whisper his name as he walks by, evil tries to hide as they sense his presence nearby.... His name? Link......
Old 08-23-2001, 02:35 PM   #8
NiamhFoxling
Dungeon Master

As to HD not doing enough damage, there's several belts and gauntlets through the game that up strength. I believe I have the girdle of Hill Giant strength on him, and when he hits something, he hits it HARD.

------------------
Playing the cutest li'l Chaotic characters since 1996.
Old 08-23-2001, 05:43 PM   #9
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
The problem with Haer'Dalis is his very poor thaco, especially since he dual wields. But I have him in my group and with the celestial fury and the equalizer he does okay. As for his lore, by 14th level he had about 95, which really is enough, and spells, a few extra magic missiles never hurt.
Old 08-23-2001, 05:57 PM   #10
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

Welcome, Aelia Jusa, to the IW. Does that name have a deeper meaning?
SPOILER
I would not recommend HD in case you want to start a romance with Aerie. He´ll fall in love with her, too and wants to have a duel fight with the pc. That´s one of the romance scripts which sucks extremely.

------------------
Calvin the bold the malt beer lord is in!