Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2001, 01:00 PM   #1
mdalos
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Can anyone tell me how to get the skill to start identifying things? I am spending all my money on stupid identifying and am not able to buy things.
mdalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 01:02 PM   #2
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Become a warlock and then put more points on identify . . . check out the best tips thread. Also, if you identify something in that character's inventory, you identify ALL of the swords in that characters Inventory. So put all the swords in one character's backpack, all the potions in the others, etc ,etc.

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner
What is this, the Spanish Inquisition?
Ironworks Answer Man
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 01:14 PM   #3
mdalos
Elite Waterdeep Guard

is that the only way? i was hoping not to become a warlock until i had maxed out my sun and stone spells.
mdalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 01:19 PM   #4
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

The key here is to gain the Ancient Lore trait and then the Artifact skill.

To gain Ancient Lore:
1- Become a Warlock
2- Complete the 2nd or 3rd quest of the Temple and train to acquire it (500gp)

For the skill:
You can train for it at your local Temple or Magic Guild after you've obtained Ancient Lore and a certain guild level (2 or 3, I don't remember)

In the interim, make sure you keep at least on identified potion, axe, knife, dart, arrow, gem in your inventory. That way, when you pick them up, they will automaticaly be ID.

Have fun and good luck with the game.
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 01:23 PM   #5
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by mdalos:
is that the only way? i was hoping not to become a warlock until i had maxed out my sun and stone spells.
Depends on your planed progression. Usually, I do the following:

Wizard (max Stone, Sun lvl 3[gain illuminate])
Warlock (max Fiend)
Bard-Monk (max Moon)
Samourai (max Sun)
Ninja (back to Moon to get the rest)

I personnaly think that you limit yourself keeping your Wizard to max Sun but I could be wrong. Remember, have fun, that's the important part

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 05-15-2001).]
Old 05-15-2001, 01:24 PM   #6
Traute
The Magister

>is that the only way? i was hoping not to become a warlock until i had maxed out my sun and stone spells. <

Anyone whose lvl 3 Wizard or Priest Guild member can buy Ancient Lore, and after getting this, the Artifact skill. The fastest way is the Priest Guild at Ishad N'Ha. Do the Mekdawa potion quest, turn it in and get the Donate 500 gold quest, pay the gold and get the Ring of Saints quest. Shouldn't take you too long.
BTW you can and should get all your chars in all of the guilds by training by training for bridging professions. Essential for building a powerful party.
Traute
Traute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 01:27 PM   #7
realbinky
Elminster

Also, get the merchant skill if it comes up, you can identify for less (with that character) and sell for more.
realbinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 02:54 PM   #8
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by realbinky:
Also, get the merchant skill if it comes up, you can identify for less (with that character) and sell for more.
That's gonna come up WAY later. I don't think the ID will be an issue for him by that time.

Old 05-17-2001, 03:35 PM   #9
Snoekie
Dungeon Master

I got some questions about this subject as well:

1. Before you can get the ID skill yourself, is going to a shop really the only way to get it done?

2. Is it worth the money to ID every item? All swords/shields/potions I´v found so far look the same and after ID´ing them they ARE the same
Hmmmnokay, I´m haven´t even finished the crypt yet so perhaps I can´t really tell yet...

3. Without making use of the Inn Gold bug, isn´t it going to take a *very* long time untill all my warriors/priests and wizards are rich enough to get into a guild?

4. How about just selling the loot that looks the same anyway without ID´ing it first? Would I really miss out on something special? It feels like such a waste spending all that gold on something that might be something crappy. Better to buy armor or weapons or should I save it all up for Guild memberships?

5. What are next weeks lotto numbers? Ok, skip that last one

Snoekie.
Snoekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 04:01 PM   #10
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Hi Snoekie,

1- Yes, until you get the Artifact skill, shops are the only way to get your inventory IDed.

2- Don't spend money IDing all items. Check to make sure you got more than one. If not, don't ID it. Once you ID one, all the others that your character is carrying at that time will also be ID.

3- Money: ***Spoiler*** go talk to Gorthius, he's the thief on the South Eastern side of Valeia, ask him about H'Thark. He'll give you some lockpick. Reload until you get 3. Go sell them (you can keep one if you want). That's gonna give you 2250 gp (1500 if you keep one)

4- Save for guild membership. You can get all your equipment on the go. The great advantage of ID is that once you ID, it sells for usually 2x as much. Since to ID it you need the base selling price of the item, ID become productive if you have 2 or more of the same object.

5- Wish I knew... I could retire early, buy a small plane and do mercy flights for people in need of medical services