Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-16-2004, 01:04 PM   #11
Spirits forever

hmm, ross, do you know which Extentions are good, there are soo many XD

and.. well i only used a few last time, but leech isn't made for 1.0.0 (w/e the newest one is)

XD

Old 10-16-2004, 07:00 PM   #12
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

i've been using firefox for a while, the problem is that certain downloads, like yahoo LAUNCH music or whatever its called wont work except with IE. but no pop-ups makes up for it.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:11 PM   #13
silencer
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowball2050:
firefox is great. only downside is that windows thinks iexplorer is better and keeps on yelling at me to change back. yay tabbed browsing
You can disable this in IE's settings.

As for Firefox - it definately is better than IE, but Opera is a valid choice also. One of the things I love about Opera is that it can store history pages in memory (resulting in instantaneous previous page-viewing). The downside to it is that it's only a good choice if you have a significant amount of memory. Besides the fact, I probably would switch to Firefox (it IS faster than Opera) except for the fact I believe the Mozilla core to be untried and only "secure" because of anonymity (but hey, that's just me being paranoid ).
Old 10-16-2004, 07:24 PM   #14
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

armgeddon272 = One kicking the backside sig!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:50 PM   #15
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

Spirits, regarding extensions...
AdBlock is a must, it allows you to block ALL ads on any webpage (yes, including those annoying flash-ads). you can even import filter lists that contain rules to block practicly any adserver you ever come across.
Tabbrowser Extensions adds a ton of options for more efficient tab management and Mouse Gestures can speed up your surfing if you don't have a mouse with extra buttons. Dictionary Search and Allow Right-click are also useful. oh, and Gmail Notifier if you got a Gmail account.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:00 PM   #16
LennonCook
Jack Burton

/)eathkiller: It also isn't nearly as bloated as Opera. It thinks of itself as a browser. Not as a browser, a mail client, an IRC client... it also, in the default theme, obeys system policies in terms of its interface. And to top it all off, it doesn't have a "pay or have your content area limited by an intrusive add" deployment policy...

silencer: Gecko is also secure because Mozilla pays people to tear it to shreds to find security holes that need fixing. And ofcourse because it has a good bug reporting system, and good turnover times (the "shell" bug earlier this year, for example, was fixed within an hour of it being verified a security hole).

frudi_x: Forget Tabbrowser Extensions Completely. Uninstall it, go for less overbloated things. It completely replaces alot of Firefox's functions, including the popup blocker, with extremely inferior, and buggy, versions. It's realy useful features are in the Advanced Options of the branch nightlies. If you use the scrollbuttons on tabs, the Scrollable Tabs extension is what you want. All of TBE's other functions are also duplicated in other Extensions.
The Gmail notifier extension has some benifits, and some drawbacks - it's main drawback being that you have to open Firefox and load your homepage to be able to check if you have any GMail; but also it can't be set as your default mail client. The other way to avoid this is with Google's Gmail Notifier.
The Download Manager Tweak is also quite good.

My current extensions:
Allow Right-Click
BlankLast
BugMeNot
ChatZilla
Download Manager Tweak
EMbuttons
Mouse Gestures
Show Image
Scrollable Tabs

And a custom extension someone on #firefox made for me. I also have a very big userChrome.css file... it is currently hiding all of my menus, stopping text from blinking with the "Blink" tag, forcing my tabs to stay the same width all the time, no matter what, and to remove extra padding on the toolbars.

[ 10-17-2004, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
Old 10-17-2004, 04:56 AM   #17
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Have been using it since version 6.x, back then it was known as firebird. Since I downloaded a working version of Flashgot (Flashget support extension), I have been using Firefox 90% of the time.

My favorite extensions:
All-in-one-gesture (very good)
Disable target for download (slight buggy)
Flashgot (flawless)
Firesomething (fun)
FireFTP (don't really need a FTP client, but got anyway just to try it out... not very powerful)
Paste and Go (very useful for lazy people like me)
Launchy (not bad)
Tabbrowser Extension (slightly bloated but I find it quite handy)

Theme(s):
iCandy Junior 1.5 (FF 1.0 PR compatible version)

Long live Firefox!

[ 10-17-2004, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 10-17-2004, 09:37 AM   #18
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

LennonCook, i'm actuall just in the middle of trying out some alternatives to Tabbrowser Extensions, but i just can't find all the functionality that i'd like from any other combination of extensions. all of them either do stuff that annoys the hell out of me (like Tabbrowser Preferences - keeps opening everything in a new tab, clutters up the tab bar in no-time), or just lack all the features i got used to (taking focus just by hovering your mouse over a tab, reopening closed tabs w/ middleclick, scrolling between tabs with the mouse, specifying what opens in for/background... and tons of other stuff i can't even remember now but just use subconsciously).
i think i'll stick with Tabbrowser Extensions... it's far from perfect, but the only real problem i've had with it is on some pages javascript popups don't work right. i can live with that, just to have all the functions i'm used to [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2004, 10:06 AM   #19
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Sorry to be the dumb guy here... But I honestly don't get extensions.

I am using Firefox, but of course I am not using it to its fullest. Sad. So I asking for advice in this regard... thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2004, 01:49 PM   #20
silencer
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
silencer: Gecko is also secure because Mozilla pays people to tear it to shreds to find security holes that need fixing. And ofcourse because it has a good bug reporting system, and good turnover times (the "shell" bug earlier this year, for example, was fixed within an hour of it being verified a security hole).
I would never post claims unfounded - and hence mine were not. It's been getting a steady plethora of found bugs ever since it has become "the new browser." I've personally crashed it on 5 seperate occasions three weeks ago. However, this is not much of a reason for other people not to use it, I'm simply going to wait a year or two until things start evening out.