Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-22-2004, 06:03 PM   #11
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

That was a quick game, only 20 mins. Don't look at me, last time I played chess I was about 12. But I'll take any of you on at badminton
Old 05-22-2004, 06:09 PM   #12
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
40 minutes actually, Vasez. Oh and bring it on anytime . Even though I've never played badminton in my life, I'll take you on anyday [img]tongue.gif[/img] . How about an online tennis game? Man, I'm just asking to get owned, aren't I?
Old 05-22-2004, 06:41 PM   #13
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Oh yeah, sorry I looked at the time of the post saying "good game" instead of the one above it, silly me. You've never played badminton, and I've been playing 3 times a week for 5 years, should be a fair game bring it on dude!!! hehe
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-22-2004, 06:57 PM   #14
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Hmmm... I'm trying to find a free online multiplayer tennis game. HAven't has a lot of luck so far. Tell me if you stumble across one, Vaskez - Prepare to own me! Mwa ha ha ha!
Old 05-22-2004, 10:34 PM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The winner in chess is the person who makes the next-to-last mistake. Try to be that person.

Experience is what wins the game, and in chess, experience is being able to look several moves ahead to determine what will happen. If I move here, and he moves, there, I have to move here, and...

Reading chess books will help, provided you look at the various openings and counters. That's called gaining experience without playing -- others have started the games and identified the likely outcomes and variations in the game. By recognizing one early on, you can play into it or out of it.

And whenever possible, play people better than you. Learn from how they beat you, so that you don't get beat the same way again. You only have to go through the four-move checkmate once...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:58 PM   #16
DBear
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:
I need a bit of help for chess... The problem mainly stems from me being unable to move my pieces around effectively. Okay, I start as white doing the usual opening and grabbing control of the middle. However, as the pawns start to occupy and control more and more space, I find myself unable to move or plan anything worthwhile without ending up on the bad side of the exchange, both position and piece wise. Then my opponent just steamrolls over me and combo attacks the middle, bruteforcing his way in and eventually securing a win.

Sounds like you may be making too many pawn moves and neglecting development of your pieces. Can't suggest anything more specific without seeing an example of play.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:35 AM   #17
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

[img]tongue.gif[/img] I'll look into maybe reading a few chess books, but I really don't like doing that. Then I start doing moves just because some guy told me to, without actually knowing why. I always like to know why.

I've been beaten so many different ways taht it's almost impossible to counter every single one of them, but I do my best. Yes, I do look at the games that I lose, and what I find is that the other player generally out-strategizes me. Or I make a boneheaded mistake. No defense against that. =/

DBear, do you play online anywhere? Maybe I could play you and you could give me some tips?
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 05-23-2004, 08:45 AM   #18
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Hoyle has a book on Chess.

It not only teaches you various strategies, but explains them. I read that book when I was 6. By the time I was 12, my father refused to play against me anymore because I could beat him.

I do not have one set 'style' of play because I tend to 'feel out' the person I'm playing against and adjust my style to counter the other person.

Typically, though, first game in, I do a variation of the 'pawn wall' protecting the sides while freeing up the middle to aggressively attack my opponent.

I'm heavy on knight usage and tend to 'castle' whenever possible.

Doesn't always work, but there's what I have to offer.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:32 AM   #19
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaradu:
Hmmm... I'm trying to find a free online multiplayer tennis game. HAven't has a lot of luck so far. Tell me if you stumble across one, Vaskez - Prepare to own me! Mwa ha ha ha!
Hey man, I was talking about REAL sport, not computer games [img]tongue.gif[/img] I didn't say I was good at sports simulations - I prefer the real thing
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-24-2004, 02:56 PM   #20
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Several important things to mention:

1: there are openings when you sacrifice the middle and then attack it. Grunfileds and alekhins defence sre a fine examples of it.

2: Always fight for the middle unless you use one of the openings in (1) (or another with the same motives).

3:you should use pawns for grabbing the middle, they are "cheap" and have a good "exchange value". Pawn for pawn is generally a better choice than pawn for another piece.

4. Highly advisible, is to read theory books. Loads of mistakes are in the opening part. You learn Alekhin's defense, and i gurantee that you will win 80 percent of your games (against non pro).

5. Read tactics books (combinations and so on). When you solve 300 combinations you will stop in 99.99% of the cases to "loose" your queen. And you will never miss your opponent's mistakes of that kind.

I play at yahoo under name of knatanl2000.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!