Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2003, 12:39 PM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
May I kill Varlag, can I please, pretty please?

That's right only right choices and no wrong answers... *cough cough* or was that lots of choices and wrong answers?

Bungleau, you make a fine maxim with this game for my experience of it so far, in that there are lots of possible choices yet no seemingly wrong ones. But ethically somehow I find evaluations for my actions inevitable.

It is a strange kind of alter-egoism is it not? Since playing Ultima IV, there has never been a game which has made me so much more conscious of different morality issues within a role playing experience. That game was a serious wake up call to conscience and a shake up to the philosophical foundations of my being! Twas brilliant stuff.
Not many games have done this since for me and somehow I always compare them to those insightful experiences.

With W&W I am alot more enthused about its comedic aspects and instead thus far, have often only superficially doubted whether I should take a particular course of action. (I.E Killing all Stouts, Killing Scanthril and Raskallion unprovoked, trying to kill D'Soto's ghost, trying to steal back Kerrielle's Necklace whilst gratuitiously copping a feel, etc etc etc.
Its sort of amotivational in a way to many aspirations towards becoming a 'hero' sometimes. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

This is not a criticism per se, more of an observation of the light hearted whimsinness of the game's mechanics, part of the reason I like it I think! Its a nice break from my expectations.

So errr, yeah can I kill him? Can I can I?
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 01:28 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Varlag? Vargul? Whatever his name is, you can kill him. Doesn't affect your game in the slightest (unless he's the bartender, in which case you want to get some Boogre Brew beforehand).

We (as in the collective consciousness that marks the Ironworks Forums' elite intelligentsia, or said another way, the people who agree with me [img]smile.gif[/img] ), believe that had the game not been rushed out, there would have been real significance to your actions. If you broke the Mavin Oath, if you killed certain powerful and ancient woodland NPCs, if you acted out of character, then there would have been some repercussions to your moves. Unfortunately, they had to rush the game to market, and those kinds of things got dropped. I agree with you -- the world reacting to your actions is part of the fun of gaming.

So, until we get to the next game, you can pretty much do what you want. Just make sure you've completed all quests and activities related to a particular NPC or race... it'd be hard to complete the "Stout Clan Invitation" quest if there ain't no more stouts
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 05:16 PM   #3
bsftcs
Red Dragon

As Bungleau stated, you can safely kill Vargul, Malgrim, and all the others. Be aware, however, that once you kill Blubarb you no longer have access to an unlimited amount of boogre brew.

The boogre brew can cure the poison from the pit crawler's fang, but so can the usual spells and potions. The brew is also needed as offerings to the Idol of Bongu which can provide some pretty hefty traits. Boogre brew can also help you gaining access to the Stout Mines since it can be used to bribe Signeur Pastollio.

Also you need Pries'kiel'a to open a door for you, but then again: Killing the trigger triggers the action, so I suppose you can also kill her when you meet her.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:31 PM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Varlag? Vargul? Whatever his name is, you can kill him. Doesn't affect your game in the slightest (unless he's the bartender, in which case you want to get some Boogre Brew beforehand).
Tsk tsk. Bunglaeu, Bungleau, Bungleau. [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] Kill Vargul?

Cerebrodragon, no you may NOT kill Vargul! The boogre is an endangered species you know! If any such actions are taken the BF (Boogre Foundation©) will be very displeased and take immediate action against the treacherous adventurers committing such vile acts! Mark my words!

[ 10-09-2003, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 10:32 PM   #5
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

I, too, am shocked that you would prey upon innocent creatures such as boogres! Well, maybe they aren't .... but...

If you want something fun to kill, go chase some Jungle Lilies!

Now that's fun!

If you want to, you can kill him, but lock your doors at night, because Willow MIGHT JUST BE OUT THERE WITH AN AXE

Moiraine Sedai
Old 10-09-2003, 11:28 PM   #6
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
The deed is done!

*ducks a throwing axe of boogre vigilance from WillowIX*

[img]graemlins/fight.gif[/img]
I wanted to give Vargul a chance, I really did! I thought that perhaps after the curse had been lifted, he wouldn't be so errm, boogre-ish and that his demeanour might change. But Nooooo....he had to push it with the tinker put downs and so he didn't see what was coming for him. Apparently he liked fighting, so at least he went down doing something he loved. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I decided to spare Malgrim for his cutesiness. I just wanted to tickle him under the chin. Normally such sugary displays of nicey-ness is aggravating, but from such a beast as Mal, it was sort of touching in a Boogre-ey kind of tinker way.

I had to resist kiling the lady Boogre you give Grunaxe's ring to (Pres?) as her reticence even after the curse was lifted was a bit odd. (no speak now hmm hmm)

As to the Jungle lillies, my initial confrontation with them gave me such a feeling of claustrophobia and fear! But about half way through my roamings down here, I acquired the rather potent Firestorm spell which reminds me of Meteor Shower from M&M's 6-8. Its potential for devestation was amazing! Thus I only went toe to toe with the Lillies once near Grunaxe's ghost, Firestorm was just that effective against them! Nothing like a good weedkiller!

Well, I think I might see if I can find the pub and some Boogre Brew I've been reading about! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Cerebrodragon
*Sprints away into the night from the approaching Boogre Foundation guards*.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Old 10-10-2003, 12:13 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I thought you might pop out to save the Boogres, Willow... glad to see you're still kicking [img]smile.gif[/img]

A couple of old threads came to mind...

The Save Sebastio Society

Willow's very first Boogre post (:awww

Join the Royal Order of Allies Saving The Boogres Ere Extinctus Fugit now and get a free Roast Beef sandwich! Or should I say... ROAST BEEF?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 04:25 PM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Ahh yes Roast Beef. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] Perhaps it's time to copyright and trademark that name for our foundation. The Save Sebastio society are nothing more than PR-hogs though. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Cerebro, I'll quote the famous words of Wyvern "At least he is alive in my game".

[ 10-10-2003, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 03:53 AM   #9
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

"There's nothing more buggered, boogred with goo"
"Than to stand near a bar, of a pub with no brew!"

I've been doing a desperate hunt for the infamously titled "boogre brew", but are as yet, unsuccesful. I've searched repeatedly near the bar area, to which no boogre can be found except for the odd grunt now and again. Perhaps my murderous ways have come to back to haunt me? Or mayhaps the societal foundation for the protection of boogre's has absconded all the brew! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
In any case, help twould be much appreciated.

I read in some archived threads that there were two flasks of it found near the flaming Idol, but all investigations around it and in my inventory have been thus far in vain! Just in case I still had them but couldn't identify them, I tried using every single potion or flask on the idol. No luck. Obtaining this mystical brew is the last mini-adventure I have before dallying forth into the dreaded Dragon Spire! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'd actually read those threads before Bungleau, very very amusing stuff. Esepcially those wacky acronyms. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
I look forward to meeting Sebastio to make my own mind up on his infamous loquacity!

Cheers,
CerebroDragon
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Old 10-11-2003, 04:45 AM   #10
elkston
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
" [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
I look forward to meeting Sebastio to make my own mind up on his infamous loquacity!

Cheers,
CerebroDragon
You see, there was once this wizard named Mada Mabig...