Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2003, 09:51 AM   #1
free
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hi all...

The other day, i read something about the game WIZARDS AND WARRIORS, something that got me to wondering what this games was like, so i dug deep into my closet and got out my copy that sat near the bottom of a pile of "el-cheapo" used games.

I read some reviews...
I was struck by what someone wrote....

"I stepped out of the town and got immediately WHAMMED by six Trolls and was
wiped out immediately...my sword was useless, as my three fighter's swords always missed their targets.....this here game is OFF my computer just like that!!"

yeah. me too, on my very first venture out of the town gate.
[this game seems actually to be a "ROGUE GAME", like Demise or even Diablo!
---interesting concept, this: that Wizards and warriors IS a Rogue game!]

After my second reload, to re-enter the outside, to immediately see four or six trolls come at me, again, i suddenly see what the game developers meant by their words ..."active timephased turn based"!
A realtime encounter, but that the monsters have each just one hit, then they stop and wait for YOU to use your gamecharacters
in this first person fight.

of COURSE
my two warrior's swords always missed....

*you* *have* *to* *walk* *up* *TO* *the* *monster* , with your sword
in order to hit it!!!!

That critic did not perservere enough!
too too many game critics seem to only review just the first ten minutes of a game and then they write it off! yes, they might indeed have 59 other games and a deadline too....but what a dis-service to US!

Because *this* critic thought that a sword always hits, like in most other games, he assumes that this must be so in all games: there ARE programers that "do it right"!!

just like that mysterious "jerking forwards" when i pick up the spoils, after killing these trolls!
[yes they went down easy, me with "level zero", at the very start of the game,
at "normal" difficuly setting, when i do it right!!] .
Yes, I would "jerk forwards" as i clicked onto the fallen arrows and the bows, lying on the ground. a bug?!
good grief NO! in most games there is no jerk forwards, but in real life, one DOES run up to an object in order to pick it up!!

...yes, i might play this one for awhile...
freestone
Old 10-09-2003, 10:22 AM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome among us. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Nice to have you with us. We hope you will stay awhile and share your stories with us.

It is my belief you will find W&W an incredible game compared to its age.

Also I believe you will find this an excellent forum with many wonderful people posting. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2003, 10:41 AM   #3
free
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by bsftcs:
Welcome among us. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Nice to have you with us. We hope you will stay awhile and share your stories with us.

It is my belief you will find W&W an incredible game compared to its age.

Also I believe you will find this an excellent forum with many wonderful people posting. [img]smile.gif[/img]
yes I thank you happywave!

Yes, i got outside for the very first time, yesterday. Looks "dated", but of course it IS an older game, but i feel that this was done on purpose.

I could have either gone the "just one or two character" route, or used them all, but while i like the idea of just one or two to level up quicker, i felt that i really NEED the Whiski night-vision...the rougue trap opener...the priest healer!
so...I just have 5 characters....one warrior is enough, plus the wizard, of course!

warrior..."whiski" warrior...rouge..priest...wizard

I also found that if a "backed out" of each character creation and "redid" that character, I found that the stats are RE-ROLLED! thus I made five of each type
and then chose the very best one: there was *quite* a difference in the rolls!

Interesting sounds, why i could actually RECOGNIZE the species of "locust" that sounds in the background, a southern us species of "locust"!

a small nitpick: the quest windows scroll by so fast that the words disapear, so that the feeling tone of the questgiving is a bit lost as i have to keep track!
but then i see later that the conversation is saved elsewheres...

just how LONG is this game? I read somewheres..."200 hours"..another gives
"100" hours! I do not judge a game by its length, but i am alwasy curious, and also as to What I Am getting into!

thanks...freestone
Old 10-09-2003, 10:48 AM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

In the lower right corner of the conversation and message window there is a small skull. If you press that skull and continue to press you can use the mouse to scroll back through the messages that have been written in the window in the recent past. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2003, 11:14 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

First, welcome to the boards, freestone. May your journeys in the Gael Serran leave your foes bleeding, your friends smiling, and your reputation shining.

Now... ROTFLLAO!

Quote:
Originally posted by free:
*you* *have* *to* *walk* *up* *TO* *the* *monster* , with your sword
in order to hit it!!!!
Good on you! It is a fun game, and one that can be replayed often. The opening is challenging, but it shouldn't be a cakewalk, should it?

The amount of time you can play is probably limitless. I've been playing for several years now, and keep replaying with different parties and options. There are no right or wrong ways to play the game -- only choices.

So have fun, keep us posted on how you're going, and show those know-nothing critics some what-for
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 01:23 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, free!!!

I have long learned to ignore most reviewers or at the very least take their reviews with a huge grain of salt. One of my friends used to write for Computer Gaming World. She was no longer with them when W&W came out but had an online game magazine for a while and published her review of W&W there. It was not kind. I talked to her on the phone around Christmas after the release of W&W and since we end up talking almost completely about games, we eventually got around to talking about W&W. In her review, she had slammed the game but in our conversation I could tell that she actually ended up having a lot of fun with the game. Perhaps if she had waited longer, played the game longer before writing her review it might have been a lot more favorable.
Those of us who have played this game repeatedly know very well that there are bugs and things that could have been improved. Given that they rushed this game to market and were not able to complete it as they had hoped/planned they managed to provide a very enjoyable game that has withstood replaying a lot better than many games that were not fashioned under the same handicaps.

It is always a good idea to give a game a chance, a decent chance to show you what it really has. If it still isn't your cup of tea, you can ditch it and find something that is.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 10:39 PM   #7
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Welcome to the boards, Free!

It might be worth your while checking out the best tips thread. Many a handy hint in there!

I assume this is your first run through of the game?

Just so you know, I dislike those game reviewers as well!

If you've got a question, feel free to ask!

Cheers,

Moiraine Sedai
Old 10-13-2003, 04:09 AM   #8
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
hi all...

The other day, i read something about the game WIZARDS AND WARRIORS, something that got me to wondering what this games was like, so i dug deep into my closet and got out my copy that sat near the bottom of a pile of "el-cheapo" used games.

I read some reviews...
I was struck by what someone wrote....

"I stepped out of the town and got immediately WHAMMED by six Trolls and was
wiped out immediately...my sword was useless, as my three fighter's swords always missed their targets.....this here game is OFF my computer just like that!!"

What's wrong with rogue games like Demise? To me, Demise is personally one of my favorite games, if not my favorite game that I've ever played. I've got well over 600 hours of game play on it and have not even started getting bored. Rogue games aren't necessarily bad...

BTW, I think I'm kinda misunderstanding you and mixing up what you think and what the review said, but whatever

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 10:45 AM   #9
free
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
quote:
hi all...

What's wrong with rogue games like Demise? To me, Demise is personally one of my favorite games, if not my favorite game that I've ever played. I've got well over 600 hours of game play on it and have not even started getting bored. Rogue games aren't necessarily bad...

BTW, I think I'm kinda misunderstanding you and mixing up what you think and what the review said, but whatever
[/QUOTE]well Hi!

I MEANT that compliment to be a good compliment, about Rogue games!!!!
I sort of put that comment to be "adversorial" as i do not feel that may would think of WIZARDS and Warriors *that* way!! So i gave my slant.

I *have* DEMISE on my hard drive!!

it is game #5...so to speak, that i will play soon....including Diablo II[Lords}
and NWN and Mw!!
yes I like that concept of diablo and Demise.

say, do you have a playstation?!
there is a game called
AZURE DREAMS
that *is* just like these games, a rogue game. i have it too...

as you can see, i like rogue games too....

I will die of old age before i ever get to play them all, from my Tower room, in Gerogia belle apts...the "old folks home"
I am 62!

freestone
Old 10-13-2003, 10:27 PM   #10
macoati
Manshoon

Ahhh... Free! Of course you'll live to play them all!!!

May we all be so young at heart when we reach that young age [img]smile.gif[/img] (I be 35)