Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2002, 03:55 AM   #1
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Manshoon

Half Orc Barbarian
20 16 18 10 6 4
Concentration 2
Wilderness Lore 4
Great Sword

Plan: Pure Barbarian Bonus Points Are going all to STR, Will learn Mostly Combat Feat!

Shield Dwarf Fighter
18 14 20 10 8 6
Concentration
Axe
Power Attack

Plan: Like Barbarian - Maybe 2 Axes soon, Heavy Armor

Thiefling Rogue
16 20 14 14 6 8
Disarm 4
Hide 4
Move 4
Open 4
Search 4
Use Devices 4
Dodge

Plan Thief, Disarmer, Backstabber ...

Human Battleguard
16 10 16 4 18 12
*didn't know*

Thiefling Wizard
14 16 16 20 6 6
Alchemy 4
Concentration 4
Hide 2
Knowledge 4
Move 2
Spellcraft 4
Penetration
Penetration

Thiefling Rogue /Fighter 18 12 14 12 8 14
Bluff 4
Diplomacy 4
Intimity 4
Concentration 2
Use Device 4
Merchant

Plan: Interactor - Heavy Armor soon!!

the last one is my 'Paladin' he interacts with all Persons (Thief Skill Bonus)

Whats the Problem:
I'm now Level 4-5 and can barely survive 2 Battles - i'm now at the Goblin Fortress - Difficult Settings are Medium
What goes Wrong - Can anybody points out a mistake ?

What are u Charater Stats ?
Old 09-09-2002, 04:13 AM   #2
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

My party is in another post. I mauled through chapters 1, 2 and 3 without problem.

The problem I see in your party is a waaay too low wisdom on your tanks, they will get held, confused, charmed, dominated and controlled so often you'll despair.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:13 AM   #3
Vornae
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The goblin fortest was a slow one for me but that was cause I was having the same problem of barely surveing two battles as well. what i ended up doing was after every major battle going back to the ranger at the bottem SW corner and resting and saving and then going back for the next part of the fight. The biggest part of the that fight ofr me was not letting the shamans get to those bloody drums.

Vornae
Vornae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 03:12 PM   #4
ratchild
Manshoon

The goblin fortress is probably the single hardest area of the game i've run into so far. (course, i'm only in chapter 2 or 3) Your party is pretty average, but if you're in the mood for restarting, you might want to take fewer Tieflings your first time around, as the level penalty hurts, especially on spellcaster types.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:10 PM   #5
Baldassare
Dungeon Master

I used haste and some speedy characters to get to the drums first. The last thing you need is enemies popping up every 2 seconds.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:39 AM   #6
Vornae
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Or if you have a druid and rogue you can use the rogue to scout out the drums and try to get the druid close enough to cast their thorn plant spell( not sure of name). The drums take dmg form the plants and the shamans will not go near them. Shrug just another suggetion.

Vornae
Vornae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 01:18 AM   #7
Darth Vader
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would also sujest a druid and or cleric after all every assault squad needs a medic.

[ 09-11-2002, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Darth Vader ]
Old 09-11-2002, 07:13 AM   #8
Hawklyn Starblade
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well my party is 2 Rangers 1 Fighter 1 Theif 1 Palidan & 1 Cleric..

And I only had a little trouble with the ice trolls comein out when i try and rest considering you have to hit 10+ just to hurt them and they do so much damage. So I guess you should restart But your group I would like to test myself after I beat the goblin caves myself...
Hope your group work out.

And I have had my fighter and the 2 rangers go and destroy the drums while my cleric throws her magical returning hammer and my thief throws his magical returning axe and the paly swings his masterwork bastersword at the goblins that come near the thief or cleric & after the camp is dead I took all there stuff Saved then tryed resting... If the first rest didnt work I loaded and tryed again thats how I got past the fights.

I only had to restart once because of a bug my characters had but luckily I had enother Save befor the bug.

{Hawklyn Starblade}

[ 09-11-2002, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Hawklyn Starblade ]
Hawklyn Starblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 08:37 AM   #9
DraconisRex

Well, I can see some problems. They aren't serious, but they are problems.

1. It looks like you're relying on offense vis-a-vis defense for melee combat purposes. (Two-handed weapons vs weapon + shield.) If you're fighting four goblins, you may save one, possibly two MR due to the extra damage. But, you're going to be hit quite a few more times.
2. You're light on healing power, having just one cleric, no paladin, no druid.
3. You're light on hit points with two rogues and two mages.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 11:51 AM   #10
Magness
Quintesson

Another thing.

It may not be "role-playing", but I always make certain that all party members are able to engage with ranged weapons. You'll take less damage in the long run if you can take down some enemy melee fighters before they can get "up close and personal". Also, if you run into some spell casters, you're wasting time trying to run to them. It's better fire off a volley of missiles ASAP. You may disrupt their spells. You may also take some down. Never overlook ranged weapons.

Also, to my surprise, I've discovered that 3rd ed DnD rules now allow wizards and clerics to use weapons that they weren't allowed in the ADnD rules. Now, I have my cleric armed with the best (currently available) crossbow and she rocks. I switched her sling to my dwarven tank, so that he can use it with a shield. His hammer (or axe) is still his primary weapon, but being able to wield a sling/shield allows him to be a little better protected if he really need to keep slinging.

One note, while there are plenty of good darts out there, be leary about using them because they are much shorter ranged than bows or xbows or slings. My wizard was using all the +1 darts that I picked up for a while, until I realized that every time without fail, the wizard had to charge forward, in front of my tanks, to get in dart range. This was unacceptable. Back to the sling. I do keep a returning dart around for the wizard, just in case I run out of ammo.

FYI, my party (in marching order) is as follows:

TANK: Aasimar paladin (f): long sword, mace, xbow
TANK: Dwarven fighter (m): hammer, axe, sling, throwing hammers
SNIPER & #2 MAGE: Elven Bard (m): short sword, bow
SNIPER & ROGUE: Human Rogue (f): dagger, bow
#1 MAGE: Elven Wizard (m): staff, sling, returning dart
MEDIC & 3rd TANK: Human Cleric (f): mace, xbow

I think that I have a nice mix of capabilities in this party.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote