Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-28-2002, 06:12 AM   #1
Grojlach
Zartan

Raelian leader says cloning first step to immortality

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- The leader of a religious sect that claimed to have created the first human clone Friday called the development "just the first step" toward human immortality through cloning.
Former French journalist Claude Vorilhon, who now calls himself Rael, claims to be a direct descendant of extraterrestrials who created human life on Earth through genetic engineering. A company founded by his followers announced Friday that the first human clone has been born -- a 7-pound baby girl dubbed "Eve."
The announcement was met with skepticism and concern, since other cloned mammals have had serious birth defects or developed health problems later. But in an interview with CNN, Rael dismissed concerns about health problems in cloned animals, saying "I have no doubt the child will be perfectly healthy."
"Everybody in the world now is crazy about what if the child has a problem. What if? I say, what if the child is perfectly healthy and beautiful? I think opponents to cloning are more afraid of that than of the faults," he said.
Brigitte Boisselier, the chief executive officer of the Raelian-founded company Clonaid, said Eve was created using DNA from the mother's skin cells and is a genetic twin of her mother, a 31-year-old American citizen.
"The best proof that we can have is probably the grandmother, who said she looked just like the mother," Boisselier announced Friday at a news conference in Florida.

Group aims for adult clones
The Raelians eventually hope to develop adult clones into which humans could transfer their brains, Rael said.
"Cloning a baby is just the first step. For me, it's not so important," he said. "It's a good step, but my ultimate goal is to give humanity eternal life through cloning."
Boisselier said the cloned child was born Thursday at 11:55 a.m. in an undisclosed country. A group of independent scientists has been chosen by freelance journalist and physicist Dr. Michael Guillen to verify that Eve is the first human clone.
"I have accepted on two conditions: that the invitation be given with no strings attached whatsoever and that the tests be conducted by a group of independent world-class experts," Guillen said.
Results are expected in eight to nine days, Boisselier said.

Wave of condemnation
Friday's announcement prompted a wave of condemnation from scientists -- including one who leads a rival cloning project -- as well as religious organizations and the White House.
"Without any scientific data, one has to be very, very skeptical," said Dr. Robert Lanza, the head of medical and scientific development for the private genetic research firm Advanced Cell Technologies.
"This is a group again that has no scientific track record, never published a single scientific paper in this area," Lanza said.
"They have no research experience in this area. In fact, they have never even cloned a mouse or a rabbit."
White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan said President Bush "believes like most Americans that human cloning is deeply concerning, and he strongly supports legislation banning human cloning."
In January, the National Academy of Sciences recommend a ban on human cloning, but only four states -- California, Michigan, Louisiana and Rhode Island -- ban any type of cloning research.
The Food and Drug Administration claims it has jurisdiction over human cloning based on the Public Health Service and Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. It claims it would regulate the cloning process like a drug.
University of Wisconsin bioethicist Alta Charo called the announcement "an irresponsible example of medical grandstanding."

'An irresponsible experiment'
"I'm not persuaded that it has occurred," she said. "If it has occurred it is an irresponsible experiment on human beings before you have proof on other animals to determine if it is safe, and the first and most important principle of medical ethics is that you do not do harm."
Dr. Panos Zavos, the leader of another effort to clone humans, said Boisselier failed to provide any evidence of her claim.
"No events, no evidence, no signs of anything of that sort as far as delivery of a baby -- it's nothing but words," he said.
Zavos, a former University of Kentucky professor, also has announced plans to clone a human but has yet to successfully create an embryo. And Italian doctor Severino Antinori has said several times in recent months that a woman was carrying a human clone, which would be born in January.
"I think, frankly, that we are dealing with a group here that was trying to beat the competition," University of Pennsylvania bioethicist Glenn McGee said. "There is a pretty good-sized group of not-so-credible scientists trying to make Mini-Me, and one said he would make a clone my mid-January. Clonaid had one last shot, and they tried to take it."
The Christian Coalition condemned the announcement in a press release Friday, saying it, too, will push for a law banning human cloning.

Christian Coalition: 'an aberration'
"The cloning of human embryos for the purpose of performing destructive research and experimentation, such as that which just occurred today of 'Baby Eve,' is an aberration. It shows a total lack of respect for life and must be prevented," said Roberta Combs, president of the Christian Coalition of America.
To make a clone, scientists first take an egg and remove all of its genetic material. Then the nucleus of a cell -- any cell in the body -- is taken from the individual to be cloned and inserted into the hollowed-out egg.
The cell is then given a jolt of electricity or put in a chemical bath to activate cell division -- essentially tricking the cell into doing what a fertilized egg would normally do. Then the embryo is implanted into a woman's uterus who carries the baby to term.
Boisselier said Eve was the result of one of 10 implantations done by Clonaid: Five babies were spontaneously terminated during the first few weeks of pregnancy, she said.
"It's very important to remember we are talking about a baby," she said. "She is not a monster or some result of something that is disgusting. She is a very healthy baby with very happy parents."
Boisselier said the next clone is expected to be born next week in northern Europe, and three other cloned human babies should be born by early February.

Source: CNN
Old 12-28-2002, 07:02 AM   #2
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

*shrugs*. Guess you've gotta clone something. The temptation is just too much to resist.

*clone me. cloooooooone me. Just to see what happens. You know you want to.*
Old 12-28-2002, 01:49 PM   #3
Sythe
Ra

How many of you are for or against human cloning. I am very very against for a wole lot of resons first ITS NOT NATRUAL! Itd sorta create more problems I understand with endangered animals but people that just goes off the jimminy Jang How.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:56 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

I havent seen anything anywhere that indicates that this group is capable of cloning. And they claim a 50% success rate when every other article Ive read on the subject is closer to 1%. I doubt this is a real clone, buit I could be wrong.

Also Ive read *nothing* to indicate that the health problems usualy associated with clones - premature old age, congenital defects, etc - have been solved.

As far as cloning adults to transplant brains into them - pure SciFi.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:17 PM   #5
Gammit
Elminster

and just to think, genetically-speaking (yes, the processes are different), all identical twins are clones. Kinda puts the damper on the entire "it's new/unnatural" argument, huh?
Old 12-28-2002, 09:53 PM   #6
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

Homer "Hold me."
Wiggum"Only if you hold me."
Old 12-28-2002, 10:57 PM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

Why is are all the major channels reporting on this news. It is fit for a tabloid.

The cult's name- Ralien- sounds like a Southpark dreamed-up one, to make fun of cults. Not to mention Cloneaid??? Just add water and sugar, Presto-You have a clone!

One should not discredit the archeological data that suggests ancient extra-terrestrial contact with Earth because of a wacko's hallucination concerning the download of ones mind into a new body. Puhleeeease!

I am not against researching human cloning. The potential long-term benefits outwiegh the initial risk.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:17 PM   #8
D W Washburn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What were those plants called that replicated humans and then tried to kill the originals out after they were hatched/? Just wondering. Clones will never equal souls but only twins. DW
Old 12-29-2002, 05:56 AM   #9
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
[b]Group aims for adult clones
The Raelians eventually hope to develop adult clones into which humans could transfer their brains, Rael said.
Now thats a waste of time, your brain decays as much as the rest of your body does.

Aside from that, some of the top scientists around the world have been working on cloning for several years. The very few successful attempts have always resulted in an animal which has some type of deformity.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 12-29-2002, 07:48 AM   #10
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I personnaly don't see what is wrong with the idea of human cloning, and besides I doubt these people could do it anyway.