Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2001, 06:27 PM   #1
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Good ethical debate: what is the bible?

In my opinion, the bible is nothing but a Novel. Mind you, it does have very good life principles and sets ethical standards. However, it can be a very dangerous book especially if taken litterally or if it's given a higher meaning.

What are your thoughts on the subject?
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 06:32 PM   #2
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

To my mind, there are some very good ethical and idealistic principles in th bible. HOWEVER, they tend to get buried under other, less important stuff. I believe the bible is not just "a" novel, but is made up of several books in each of which different people showed their ideals of life (if this doesnt make too much sense remember its almost one oclock in the morning). Some of it is useful, some isnt. Im not very religious in case you hadnt noticed
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 08:26 PM   #3
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

I think the book definitly has some good ethical and moral ideads but on the whole is a load of BS.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
AzureWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 08:26 PM   #4
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Oh my... could be stirring up a gigantic hornets nest here

Seriously, I'll try and be brief. What is the Bible? Yes, it will be very interesting to see how people answer, because the thing about the bible (being the most popular book on the planet) is that everyone has a different take on it.

To many, many people the bible is nothing. A meaningless collection of irrelevant stories and forgotten proverbs. Some people display this as indifference, some by active opposition.

Others find it an interesting read. Like Kaz says, there are arguably some very good ethical principles and firm ideals within. However, you may find as many of these as you do contradictions (from the large contrast between new and old testament to the little bits of conflicting dogma that crop up here and there).

I have to take much of the bible figuratively for the sake of my sanity. The bible tells me that the world was created in 7 days. Science tells me that the world was created in millions of years. I trust science, but I can reconcile it with the bible, reasoning that it is a figurative tale. Many of the other events described in the bible, particularly some of the stuff in the new testament can be taken more at face value, perhaps.

In the end, I would be inclined to say the Bible is much more then a story book, yet I am sceptical as to the accuracy of much of it's content. How can a book complied over thousands of years and written by so many different people be trusted for it's accuracy?

Then again, how can we ignore a book compiled over thousands of years, and written by so many different people?

[This message has been edited by Sharpedge (edited 08-21-2001).]
Sharpedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 08:49 PM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanamur:
Good ethical debate: what is the bible?

In my opinion, the bible is nothing but a Novel. Mind you, it does have very good life principles and sets ethical standards. However, it can be a very dangerous book especially if taken litterally or if it's given a higher meaning.

What are your thoughts on the subject?
I'm bemused as to your definition of a novel mate. Do we call a collection of Yeats poetry a novel? How about a philisophical work by Jung? Are the proverbs of Confucious considered a novel? What about a letter? Is that a novel? A collection of letters. Are they lumped together and called a novel?

Your description proclaims your ignorance of that which you dismiss so flippantly. Dangerous if taken literally? Yes that's right people would start not reacting to violence with violence, would leave part of their profits for the poor, would treat everyone how they would want to be treated. That would be so dangerous wouldn't it? Much better to live in this dog eat dog world with no hope, no knowledge of a God of love who desires communication and relationship, no indication of a more harmonious way of living. Let's keep, on warring, hating, retaliating and self centred living and all the other parts of human nature we love.

But whatever you do don't read the "novel" before you criticise it will you?

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 08-21-2001).]
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 08:57 PM   #6
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I'm bemused as to your definition of a novel mate. Do we call a collection of Yeats poetry a novel? How about a philisophical work by Jung? Are the proverbs of Confucious considered a novel? What about a letter? Is that a novel? A collection of letters. Are they lumped together and called a novel?

Your description proclaims your ignorance of that which you dismiss so flippantly. Dangerous if taken literally? Yes that's right people would start not reacting to violence with violence, would leave part of their profits for the poor, would treat everyone how they would want to be treated. That would be so dangerous wouldn't it? Much better to live in this dog eat dog world with no hope, no knowledge of a God of love who desires communication and relationship, no indication of a more harmonious way of living. Let's keep, on warring, hating, retaliating and self centred living and all the other parts of human nature we love.

Yorick, if you ever lead some kind riots or movement. i will be a religious freak and follow you
250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 09:31 PM   #7
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Quote:

couldnt have possibly said it better myself

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.
SSJ4Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 10:10 PM   #8
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:

Right on Yorick! You speak/write so well. I couldn't have summed it half as well. I encourage everyone here to set down and read it, even if you find yourself not agreeing with it. I think most here would find something that they can agree with, within its pages.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?
Sir Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 11:20 PM   #9
G'kar

Who's to say whats been embellished, or even added completely. (fiction) How have different languages effected translations. What egotistical religious or political leaders authorized a new translation for their own ends. (king james for example)
I always take a bag of salt with the Bible, I need that many grains.

One of the most provocative ways to look at the bible is to study the ancient civilizations that the stories from it are based on. Only archeological finds in the last 100 year have revealed the histories of our ancient cultures, starting with the Sumerian. Zacharia Sitchen wrote a series of books titled "The Earth Chronicals". In which he reveals alternate "interpretations" based on the evidence left behind by the cultures that first recorded those stories. What a different picture those paint.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:25 PM   #10
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

The bible is a collection of 66 little books, mostly written by different people who mainly claim to have been inspired by god. It was written during the period 1513 BC to 98 AD. And it is remarkably consistent. The bible account of creation is the closest thing to scientific truth you will find in any religion (apart from the time period of 7 days), and the bible is the only religious book that stated the earth was globe hanging upon nothing. It also contains a set of rules for human living that is unsurpassed anywhere.

It also contains some pretty apalling historical accounts and prophecies.
And if christians had ever actually followed the teachings of Jesus instead of going in the diametrically opposite direction, this world would be fantastic. Sadly, nobody wants to...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 08-21-2001).]
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote