Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2001, 02:06 AM   #1
Sylent

Does anyone else get this?
sometimes I will go to a place, and think, geez, this reminds me of something I might see in a game...
I recently went on a hike, to a small mountain range... two nights, camping in tents...
It was cool, I had to cook and maintain health, and stuff like that.
as I walked through some of the lovely area's I was struck by the thought that some of these places looked really cool. I used to watch shows like Xena warrior princess, or hurcules, because I liked the scenery, I would really like to see that sort of thing.
It seems to me sometimes, that all of the nice places in the world are being destroyed by "Human Development (moving forward)" or whatever.
It is really nice, and refreshing to see something nice in nature...
I dont know about anyone else out there, but I get a real feeling of magik, when I play baldurs gate...
Does anyone else really like the music from BG1?

PS... I feel like a freak, but I dont really care!

Old 02-02-2001, 02:18 AM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

I definitely agree with you regarding "human development", sustainable development is the key to preserve the environment for the future generations. Unfortunating, the value of environmental goods are very difficult to quantify, and many people are very short-sighted. Greed and selfishness of our species have already caused many other species to extinct or die slowly and painfully..... *sign*

I guess the least we can do is to do our part.....

P.S. I know what some of you are thinking, but I do not play as a druid!! And actually I like the main theme song of BGII or the romance song of Viconia. But the music of Icewind Dale is also superb.
Old 02-02-2001, 03:56 AM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I'm very much a 'greenie' at heart Sylent. I love creation and it's splendour.
It's a tragedy that all the sustainable societies that seemed to respect the land were wiped out or conquered by the growth societies that plundered it. I recently took a boat across Pitwater to a National Park in Sydney's far north and sat on the beach looking up at the trees shading the beach and thought... we had paradise. We had it all the time.

How many of us dream of lying on a traffic island in the middle of a highway to 'get away from it all'?
Old 02-02-2001, 04:50 AM   #4
Sylent

I didn't expect much response on this, but anyway...
I am no greeny, but I do find it a bit of a helpless situation, the environmental F***ing up that is happening.
I actually got the music from candlekeep (bg1) off napster (whole different issue), because it was good to remind me of the fun I had playing it
I am not devoted to my computer or anything, but I really enjoy playing Fantasy RPG, as well as post-nuclear RPG... It is a good escape from normality
V-Tec huh... I am learning to drive in a morris Mini! what fun it is.

Traffic Islands suck

Old 02-02-2001, 05:06 AM   #5
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

hmm... yeah i kinda agree on what is happening right now to the world... although these "growths" in the economy is good... i just keep wonderin... the cities would just keep expanding, and the farmers would be forced to cut trees to farm food in the ever growin population... now if that happens... so on and so forth... what would happen to the world... it would totally be consumed by cities and farms... no more forest... i know its sad that the statement "survival of the fittest" is what i say ... but its all so true.. being a cityfolk, i hardly ever get out to the province and enjoy any nature trips... and its all so polluted in the city... since where i live in "Manila" is considered to be one of the most dirtiest city in the world...with all the smog, pollution and everything... yech!!

sheesh.... the one place i can truly imagine splendor with nature is finding a grove... with a ...a... errr... pond (but something bigger.. sorry i forgot the word)... and also there is a waterfall... that is strong enough for a nice shower but weak enough that you dont get crushed... the water crystal clear and crystal clean.. around 10-15 ft deep... with smooth stones... the birds and other forest noises surround you... and you dont have to worry about anything ... and just swim lazily ... and oh yeah... you can drink the waterfall since its so clean... and a few feet away, the trees will give way to a fantastic view of everything (mountains..etc)... now thats what i want to have when i grow up... if i ever find one such as im thinking right now... sheesh...

i have another one.. but i might bore you ... so never mind ...
Old 02-02-2001, 05:18 AM   #6
Sylent

Sounds really nice!
I was actually in a place (where I said I went camping) and after a really hot day walking for ages, and just generally being hot, there was a river, where we stayed.
Anyway, I went for a quick swim in it, and drank the water, and it was really great.
I think that water would have to be warmish.
It would be nice to grow up, and live in a place like this, but sadly what you say is true, "survival of the fittest", people may oppose this growth, but they are mostly too small in number to topple the "Giants" of human growth.
I have a friend who lived in manilla, but he migrated/moved (whatever it is) to aus, and is doing really well!

And by the way, you aren't boring me...

Old 02-02-2001, 07:28 AM   #7
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

hmm... sorry if it took so long to reply but im really kinda busy... now that im not... i just wanna say ... LUCKY YOU... being a cityboy, im so envious...

a friend you say... Memnoch was a Manila Boy (i think ... oh well i just know he came from my country ) ...

anyway.. thanks for listening... here is another one .... (one i just want to have also but in the dream may it only become my reality)

acres and acres of open grassland... with a beautiful but powerful stallion im riding.. i thunder accross the open field free from worries that im not going to be hit by a branch of a tree (happened once though ) ... i have a stable nearby and all the land i see is mine to ride about with my trusty speed... but after a few miles... i enter a forest and enter the cool path... and soon i come accross a wide stretch of river (or lake) wherein i can drink, fish and once i filled my belly i would go in for a nice snooze... sheesh ... fantasies would be nice...

hmm... since im posting my fantasy place here... anyone who is reading here would like to post one also about thier own reallife fantasy place in this world??
Old 02-02-2001, 07:40 AM   #8
Armisael

Sitting on a deckchair along a tropical beach - a cool martini and a warm woman, and maybe some whipped cream... ahh.

Old 02-02-2001, 07:47 AM   #9
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well Sylent, have to agree, during my military service during summer I spend some time in the woods of southern Sweden and well, would there be an elven forrest anywhere that should be it, and I´m no real greenie either but I do care about the ecology system and hate poluters, oiltankers and all thoose fossil companies cause there are much better and cheaper but there will be some initial costs..
Well i wont get started ...

If you want to see something beatiful come and visit me in the summer time and take a hike up to the northern parts, magnificent!
Well you don´have to go that far nortg, you can go south too..

About the music, I like it i think it is great to play too.
Old 02-02-2001, 07:54 AM   #10
fighter-thief

well as for me
in Lexington Kentucky there is a castle for sale that i would pass on my way from Ft.Campbell to west virginia and i would love if it was mine it's the only castle i ever saw and if it was mine i would envite and fund you all to come to the castle warming party