Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Target
Red Dragon

Default Wiz 8 and Windows 7

Hi,
Just got a new laptop running windows 7. Can I install Wiz8 and will it play?
Thanks

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Wiz 8 and Windows 7

Most likely yes. Compatibility isn't that much of an issue anymore, with XP doing all the groundwork, Win 7 can run almost anything one way or another.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Target
Red Dragon

I think it installed alright, but it won't run.
I double click on the icon to run it, and just get a little box appear in the middle of the screen which says "one moment please". But nothing ever happens.
Any one got any ideas?

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Right-click the shortcut and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility". Work from there. I can't imagine Win 7 won't run it. I've run old Win 95 programs and games on 7 with a little compatibility tweaking.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

A quick search turned these up. People are running it on Win 7 fine, while some are having issues due to configuration.

http://vnboards.ign.com/official_wiz...25/r113892976/

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/wizar...737&pid=374906

If all else fails, this caught my eye

Quote:
Nevermind. I just ran the Wizardry 8 3D setup file and selected the 1366 x 768 resolution and it works like a champ! Completely forgot that program existed.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Target
Red Dragon

Thanks very much Spirit! Tried the "Troubleshoot Compatibility", not sure if that worked or not, but somehow I've got it working yeay!!!
Usually when I start playing this great game the hardest part is always choosing the party...after trying to get the game working I'd better choose a good one!! ha ha

Old 02-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Wiz 8 and Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target View Post
Thanks very much Spirit! Tried the "Troubleshoot Compatibility", not sure if that worked or not, but somehow I've got it working yeay!!!
Usually when I start playing this great game the hardest part is always choosing the party...after trying to get the game working I'd better choose a good one!! ha ha
Yeah it should be fine now. Win 7 is so nifty that usually this is all you need to do. "Troubleshoot Compatibility" will try various emulations of previous OS's, then save the setting for future use. But it does this so swiftly and seamlessly that we are sometimes unsure of what fixed it.

I can safely say it was that. From now on, it should just work properly as 7 has detected those settings as the optimum. Sometimes, it will ask you if the program installed or ran properly - always tell the truth here, because this way it learns what worked for you and what didn't and will use that when you try something similiar again.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
Target
Red Dragon

sweet, its a cleave bit of kit, most unlike microsoft being so helpful!! ha ha.

I've also downloaded flamestrikes mod so looking forward to playing that, only played original and deathstalkers so this is hopefully another good one.

But what party...might try and take peeps out of other rpgs,
Fighter, Cloud (FF7) with a big sword.
Vyse, Samuari, (skies of Acaridia)
etc
could be fun!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #9
Target
Red Dragon

Just wondering if anyone around have played through Flamestrikes final mod and if they had any good suggestions for classes / races to take?
Cheers.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #10
Target
Red Dragon

Are there no Wiz 8 players left? What is the world becomming...