Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-19-2004, 03:17 PM   #21
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Bah, don't get me started with Giga-Byte!

One of my biggest complain about Giga-Byte is their stupid GA-5AA series of motherboard.

That piece of junk (motherboard) had endless troubles with my old Riva TNT2 video card. According to Giga-Byte, the problem lies within the ALI chipset and they have several versions of firmware updates which is supposed to "fix" the problem.

I downloaded and upgraded my ROM several times and my TNT2 still hangs while running some of 3D games, especially Diablo II and on several occasions, Half-Life and etc. Giga-Byte! BOOOOOOOO!

At the end, I saved up my money and get myself a total new system. I promised myself never to use AMD and Giga-Byte ever since.

[ 01-19-2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 01-20-2004, 08:39 AM   #22
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin2000:
Bah, don't get me started with Giga-Byte!

One of my biggest complain about Giga-Byte is their stupid GA-5AA series of motherboard.

That piece of junk (motherboard) had endless troubles with my old Riva TNT2 video card. According to Giga-Byte, the problem lies within the ALI chipset and they have several versions of firmware updates which is supposed to "fix" the problem.

I downloaded and upgraded my ROM several times and my TNT2 still hangs while running some of 3D games, especially Diablo II and on several occasions, Half-Life and etc. Giga-Byte! BOOOOOOOO!

At the end, I saved up my money and get myself a total new system. I promised myself never to use AMD and Giga-Byte ever since.
What do you think about MSI or ASUS instead?
Old 01-20-2004, 11:49 AM   #23
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Does anyone care to comment on a rumor I heard that Asus runs better with Athlon?
Old 01-20-2004, 12:02 PM   #24
andrewas
Harper

With modern CPUs, you can't run a AMD chip on the same board as an Intel chip, the chipsets are designed for one or the other. So it dosent make any sense to say that an ASUS board will run better with an Athlon.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:50 PM   #25
Thoran
Galvatron

Over the years I've heard a LOT of people say "this mobo manufacturer sucks" or "that one is the best", etc...

The truth IMO is that you need to evaluate on a motherboard by motherboard basis. Just because the Gigabyte mobo that was available back when the TNT2 was out was a problem doesn't mean much when you're talking about their new boards.

You might say that it sets a prescedent of problems, unreliability, etc... well to that I would say that almost ALL mobo makers have had some duds.

Performance wise the major brand mobo's are almost always within a percent or two of eachother. Get a board that has the features you want at the price you want. Make it a well known brand (I've run Asus, ABIT, Gigabyte, MSI, Intel, etc...) or even one of the not so well known brands (I've got an old ECS board that's run continuously for 2 years or so, and that brand has a crappy rep. I also have a Soltek board that failed in 14 months... and they had a great rep)

[ 01-20-2004, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Old 01-21-2004, 01:14 AM   #26
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
What do you think about MSI or ASUS instead?
If you have the time, browse several hardware forums and read about the users' complains, that will give you the general idea which manufacturer sucks.

I don't know about MSI, but generally speaking, ASUS boards are okay.

I would advice you to go to The Firing Squad. They have good selections of hardware reviews for mobo and graphic cards.

Quote:
Over the years I've heard a LOT of people say "this mobo manufacturer sucks" or "that one is the best", etc...

The truth IMO is that you need to evaluate on a motherboard by motherboard basis. Just because the Gigabyte mobo that was available back when the TNT2 was out was a problem doesn't mean much when you're talking about their new boards.

You might say that it sets a prescedent of problems, unreliability, etc... well to that I would say that almost ALL mobo makers have had some duds.

Performance wise the major brand mobo's are almost always within a percent or two of eachother. Get a board that has the features you want at the price you want. Make it a well known brand (I've run Asus, ABIT, Gigabyte, MSI, Intel, etc...) or even one of the not so well known brands (I've got an old ECS board that's run continuously for 2 years or so, and that brand has a crappy rep. I also have a Soltek board that failed in 14 months... and they had a great rep)
Well, at least they should have came clean and admit that they screw up big time instead of "upgraded to version x firmware to fix this problem", which does not do anything at all. Just put a bloody note on the mobo's information page warning people that it is not compatible with x model of hardware.

I don't mind that some mobo can't work with certain hardware, but JUST be honest and not to try to hide the fact. It took me 30 minutes going through Giga-Byte's web site just to find a "hidden" FAQ about the GA-5AA's "possible" compatibility with TNT2. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!