Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default This city deserves a better class of criminal...

Quote:
THREE RIVERS, Mich. (AP) -- Police in Michigan have arrested a man who they say tried to steal posters and other items related to the new Batman movie from a cinema lobby while dressed up as the Joker.
full article through the link. (well actually the link apparently no longer led to where it used to, so I removed it. Cerek posted the complete story on page 3)

Sad thing is, he was old enough to know better

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 07-31-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: This city deserves a better class of criminal...

LOL! Love it.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

What an idiot. Pulling a stupid prank that leads to felony charges. Welcome to the Real World, doofus.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Wow, ..little passion creeping in there Cerek?

Of course, I do agree.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

One of my favorite lines from Rush...

"When we are young,
learning that we're only immortal
for a limited time...."

Three Rivers is just a bit south of here... hopefully it doesn't rub off or migrate north
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
Wow, ..little passion creeping in there Cerek?

Of course, I do agree.
This 20-year old is facing felony charges because he thought it would be "cool" to act like the Joker. Unfortunately, in the USA, conviction of a felony offense automatically imposes several restrictions on the individual.

For example - if convicted - some of the restrictions this person will face include:

1. Losing his right to vote or ever hold public office.
2. Losing the right to leave the country or state of residence.
3. Losing the right to own a firearm.
4. Losing the right to be certified in several different fields of employment, including (but not limited to) attorney, electrician, plumber, contractor, doctor, nurse, physical therapy, and even insurance salesman.
5. Being denied housing in various apartment complexes (varies among different housing units).

Years ago, I read about a judge handing down sentencing on two juveniles who had decided to steal a car one weekend and go for a joyride. Of course, it didn't take long for them to get caught. After finding the juveniles guilty, the judge read a list of the things they would no longer be allowed to do because of their felony conviction. He summed it up by expressing disappointment and sorrow that their lives would be so much more limited now because of one bad decision made at a young age. The same thing applies to this boy. That is why I can't see anything humorous or amusing in this story.

He is 20 years old and has severely limited his options in life through one act of stupidity. He may eventually overcome the restrictions placed on his life. Not all of the consequences listed are permanent. But he will face an uphill battle and no matter what he accomplishes, the stigma of the felony conviction will always be hanging around in the background. The other possibility is that he won't overcome the obstacles he has now placed in his life and will spiral down into a series of continued hardships because of his actions. All because he didn't take the time to consider the real life consequences of acting like a character in a movie.

I do feel sorry for him, but he brought it on himself.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

And I feel like the guy was just doing a little RPing
Old 07-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
And I feel like the guy was just doing a little RPing
A little RPing with some very serious real life consequences. Hence my comment, "Welcome to the Real World".

This is one problem with movies, games and TV shows. They don't reflect the actual consequences characters face for the actions they take, so kids think they can do what they want and not get in trouble. Unfortunately, that is NOT the way it works in real life.

This "joker" may have considered his actions to be a harmless prank, but he attempted to steal items that didn't belong to him and damaged or destroyed some in the process. That is not harmless nor is it a prank. As he discovered, it is a felony offense that carries very serious consequences. Worst case scenario is that he could possibly spend 2-3 years of his life in a federal prison because of his "RPing". Prisons don't separate prisoners based on the severity of their crimes. They don't have a wing for "young kids who did something stupid" and another wing for "hardcore murderers". They all go in together.

As I said before, there is nothing funny, humorous, amusing or clever about his actions. And what he did is certainly nothing to admire or LOL about.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

In your opinion, of course. I find it funny, as did the OP. Sometimes you have to sit back and not take things so seriously, I mean come on, he wasn't slitting people's lips with a knife like in the movie. He dressed up as a character, stole some posters, all the while in joker getup, which was indeed an obvious prank. Was he an idiot to push it? Yes. But I doubt that he will go down for this, I wouldn't prosecute someone that is in fact, promoting my movie even if it was a stupid thing to do. I can bet that the people at DC comics got a good chuckle out of this. Even if he is prosecuted and jailed (which he will most likely just be fined) I will still shake my head and laugh as will countless others.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm in between. I do find it to be somewhat funny and humorous, but like Cerek said, he's crossed a major adult line that will stick with him for years. That whole "cause and effect" thing is one that challenges many people today... many people of all ages.

And it's not the movie studio that's going to be prosecuting. It will be the movie theatre (thank you for destroying my decorations? I don't think so) or the city itself. The movie company is about as far removed from this action as the providers of water to irrigate fields are from that scalding hot coffee at McDonalds... a different planet entirely.

I will also shake my head and probably laugh, but inside that head, thoughts will be going "gods, don't let my kids be this stupid"....
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote