Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 12:33 AM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

Well, I've played through twice with KOTOR now (once a LS Soldier 8/Guardian 12 and once a DS Scoundrel 2/Consular 18), and am about halfway between on my most recent game (LS Scoundrel 8/Consular 10 so far). Next game, I am thinking about a bit of a twist, and trying to play a heavily armored jedi instead of using robes. I realize I will miss out on the +6 AC bonus (eventually) for not wearing armor, but it is more of a theme character than anything. Obviously, soldier would be the best class to start with; I think I will make him a DS Soldier/Guardian, though LS might be a better choice looking at some of the powers (Death Field does not work in armor, Heal does). I have the PC version of the game, so I have access to Yavin Station (and all of the powerful but expensive stuff sold there).

How would an armored jedi work as compared to a regular jedi? Specifically:

1. What powers would be best for such a character? Would it be worth taking the Cure/Heal line of powers despite the extra cost for being a dark sider? One thing of note: When I did the DS Consular, I went with Force Domination and did all of the dark side forcing others to do things. This guy I want to be a thug; no persuasion or force persuasion, just threaten/bash others (think half-orc evil barbarian with heavier armor).
  2. Attributes. Usually with a Soldier/Guardian, it works best if you jack up Dexterity. However, that does not work with heavy armor. What would be your suggestion as far as initial attributes and the extra point every 4 levels?
  3. What is good equipment for this guy? I'm already planning to up my melee weapon feats along with lightsaber feats, then take the Baragwin Assault Blade (fully upgraded, that beast is as strong as some of the best upgraded lightsabers in the game, and it is available earlier, too). Any other suggestions?
  4. Skills. Tough area always for a Soldier/Guardian. Usually end up with one point per level. Seems like it has to go into Treat Injury, being DS and all. If I jack Intelligence to 14, where is the best place to put the extra point per level (NOT persuasion)?
Sorry about the long post, but I've just been mulling the idea over in my mind, and want to get a clearer picture before I finish this current game and move on to the next one.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:37 AM   #2
Riftmaker
Elminster

1) I wouldn't know, haven't played a DS yet.

2) Well the two obvious ones would be Strength and Wisdom. After that I'd go Charisma.

3) Problem with melee feats is that they become obsolete once you get a lightsaber. Unless you're planning to dual the Assault Blade and a Lightsabre, I wouldn't really bother. Definitely max out the weapon style you're going to go for. After that, melee weapons if you're gonna use the assault blade and not two lightsabres.

4) WTF is wrong with persuasion? You need it for DS too you know. One of the most important skills out there IMHO anyway. I can't really remember all the skills a Soldier can choose from...I don't think there are that many to begin with anyway.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:47 AM   #3
Nerull
Lord Ao

Actually, since I put the spoiler tag on this thread, let me give you the stats for the (fully upgraded) Assault Blade:

Attack Bonus: +5
Damage: 2-12 Physical + 2-12 Energy + 2-12 Sonic (yes, that's 6-36 damage, of three different types)
Available: after finding 2 star maps

In my DS Consular game, I made Canderous into a melee machine (Zaalbar gets eaten alive later in the game due to lack of defense). I gave him the one blade, then when a second one became available (Suvam replenishes and upgrades his stock twice in the game), I got him a second one. Dual wielding both, he carved apart rancors and dark jedi like they were tissue paper. The only time lightsabers can compare with this is when the last upgrade of stock happens (then two lightsaber crystals become available that turn lightsabers into weapons of the gods). I would end up dual wielding the blade and a lightsaber, at least until those two crystals became available (and that is not until you find all of the star maps).

Actually, my first game (the LS Soldier/Guardian), I spent no points on Persuade or Force Persuasion. Yes, that mean having to do more fighting and less persuading. The reason: character concept. He would bash things rather than talk his way out. With both Consular characters, I maxed out (and for the current game, am maxing out) Persuasion, and using it regularly. The DS that spends nothing on Persuade would be a thug, threatening his way through the galaxy (which is kind of the concept of this guy; he straps on armor, uses some regular weapons, and generally spits in the face of "normal" jedi).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 11-05-2004, 10:37 AM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

In my first game, my jedi was using armors. It worked well, as you as you are a melee one mostly.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:37 PM   #5
Riftmaker
Elminster

Yeah, I know the Warblade is intense. I think I was dualling it with a lightsabre with my LS Soldier -> Guardian.

I understand your point about persuasion now, and it makes sense. Soldiers can get Demolitions can't they? I'd get that, especially for a DS character.

For feats, max out Dual, Max out Melee (seeing as how you'll be using it for most of the game), Max out Lightsabre. I'd stop getting Soldier Levels after you max out Melee and Dual Weapons, but if you find something useful that you might want, by all means take it.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:24 PM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

Hmm...Demolitions is a good idea, considering it is a class skill (I was originally considering Security, but I can give this to HK-47, and he can use those powerful droid upgrades to make the cross-class skill really count).

Definitely max out Dual Wielding, Melee, and Lightsabers. Also consider Conditioning to boost saving throws (since I can't use force resistance due to armor), Flurry (since I can't use force speed, for the same reason), and Implants and/or Toughness (the former for the good implants in the game, the latter because it really fits the character). I get a good amount of feats, so I should be okay in that regard.

Powers would definitely be the Wound/Choke/Kill line (I love Kill), Fear/Horror/Insanity (also very useful), and possibly Force Push/Whirlwind/Wave. Though I can use Slow and Affliction, Plague has an armor restriction, so this is not as useful as other powers. However, I can't use Drain Life/Death Field, so should I take the Cure/Heal line (despite the 150% of cost to use)? I might just get the Environmental Bastion Armor, but if not then Improved Energy Resistance can work as well.