Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2004, 09:17 AM   #1
Berg
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello all,

I've just finished ToB and would like another game to spend hours in front of the computer tearing my hair out! Any ideas for a similar game which is just as brilliant? Your advice will be much appreciated....
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Alas, I have not found a game of similar caliber yet.

If you want open-ended game shenanigans on a world that makes BG2 look small, then look no further than Morrowind, an extremely decent RPG. That would be my definite recommendation - I'll never forget the feeling of being alone and lost in a strange world that I got, the first time I stepped out of the Customs office and into the village hustle and bustle. Not as polished as BG2, but still hugely enjoyable.

If you want light-hearted role playing and character development and you like Star Wars then get Knights of the Old Republic. It's very pretty and great fun (after the abominable first level).

If you prefer your RPGs to be more structured, then NwN is your bet, although personally I wouldn't bother unless you have a decent internet connection because multiplayer is where it shines.

And welcome to Ironworks [img]smile.gif[/img]

Here's hoping for BG3!

[ 11-13-2004, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:57 PM   #3
Berg
Elite Waterdeep Guard

cheers for that - I'll maybe have a go at Morrowind - that seems to be the best bet.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:56 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Whatever you do, Berg, make sure you patch it. The game is buggy. Also, Morrowind is NOTHING like the BG series; nothing like D&D. You will definitly role play and the world is massive in size, but you will be playing from a First Person perspective. The world is truly different and if you want hours upon hours of role playing you'll get it and then some.

I understand Shamrock's feeling of being alone and in a strange world. I was also amazed at how this game has literal cycles of day and night. You can actually watch the sun rise and set. I'd love to see this world redone with the available graphic engines out there.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:11 PM   #5
Jorsh
Dungeon Master

If you don't mind older games I like Might and Magic 6 a lot! It is my second favorite computer role playing game, second to Baldur's Gate games. It has an interesting story line and you control six characters. It is OLD i mean really old, maybe 1997? But if you can find it, it is well worth the hours you'll spend on it.
Jorsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:23 PM   #6
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Another idea might be to take a look at Icewind Dale IWD and IWD2..

While the story's are a little (read lot) lighter on the story side, you can make whole party's to go forth and dungeon romp in.. Note, very little char interaction, no joinable NPC's so no party banter and the like, quest's are less about talking and more an excuse to go kill stuff.. So depend's if that's your "thang"

You could try BG1 if you've not already, there are some great mod's that let you play it in the BG2 engine..

Some people have suggested Neverwinter Night's, also a pretty fun game to play, though can get very simplistic what with the respawning making death an almost nothing event..

Lionheart legacy of the crusader is quite good, but has that diablo clone feel when playing so you might want to stear clear.

Morrowind, well it's very very diffrent from BG2, it's also nothing like NWN, if you like FPS style gameplay you'll find this game enjoyable probably as it's a cross between the two genres, though you'll see some thing's that just won't make sence, like smuggler's cave not 50 yards (45 metres about) from the Census and excise office.. Every indoor area is a loaded sepparatly from the outside, and NPC's don't move between the two.. I find it fun, but flawed.. Nothing like BG2.

This bring's me onto the more action/Adventure game, Gothic, now it's got very little common ground with BG2, infact they are nothing alike, but I thought I'd mention it because MW got a mention and IMHO it's a better game that Morrowind.. It's a smaller world than Morrowind, but it feel's more alive, with voice acting for all the dialog, quite immersive..

I'd say this, try out the demo's for the games before you buy, it can give you a good idea of what the game's like and if you'll enjoy it or not, don't rely of the word's of stranger's to choose game's you like.

//Edit

Almost forgot, The temple of elemental evil, I've heard both good and bad thing's about this game but it might be what your looking for, it's a little bit closer to true DnD in some way's I'm told

[ 11-17-2004, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Q'alooaith ]
Old 11-18-2004, 12:46 PM   #7
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

I personally found ToEE enjoyable, and was lucky enough not to be affected by the huge amounts of bugs.

Warning!

Make sure you patch Temple of Elemental Evil before you start it. I've heard so many complaints and rants about how buggy the game is. Seems to me that the game was rushed and released before being properly ironed out. I think there is an official patch there though.

Out of the ones mentioned, it's probably the second closest to Baldur's Gate (Icewind Dale 1 & 2 being the closest) and it's far shorter. It seems like the creators wanted to allow expansion packs, but with the lack of success I'm not sure if that's happening. The game itself is nice though, if a little hard. But it has features that make it fun, such as cloaks, Party Alignments, and your main PC can even have a romance, despite the lack of NPC interaction. Like Icewind Dale, you make and control the party of 6, so the most interaction you'll have is with other people. There are a couple of NPCs that can join your party though.

[ 11-18-2004, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: slicer15 ]
slicer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:43 PM   #8
Berg
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks people - a lot to think about. I'm most interested in finding a DnD-esque game like the BG series. I've worked my way through the whole series and like the idea of building your party up over a long, no HUGE amount of time! It seemed almost a shame to complete it! From your suggestions so far, I guess I'll look for (in no particular order): IWD/IWD2; Temple of Elemental Evil; Might & magic 6.

I have thought about the idea of starting BG1 again and building a brand new character & party. But...I know what's coming...where's the fun in that?!?!?
Old 11-18-2004, 05:03 PM   #9
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Berg, if you are thinking about the Temple I HIGHLY suggest that you go to www.atari.com and click on their Community site. Once there check out the ToEE forum and read all there is about patching. The list of bugs is mind-numbing to say the least.

As for IWD, it is hack&slash, but it is a fun hack&slash. The really fun thing for me to do was to roll up my entire party (there are no NPCs top join. The sound track, imo, is the best ever produced.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:43 PM   #10
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

BG2 is definitely worth a replay - there are *so* many mods that the game can be entertaining time after time after time.

Personally I would warn you away from IWD - I made the mistake of buying it and the expansion a couple of months back and I found it to be a pale, pale imitation of BG1. Ended up giving up after a few hours play.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote