Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2002, 10:15 AM   #11
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
If these scud missles work like the ones Saddam had for the gulf war then there is nothing to worry about. A kid with a pellet gun in both more accurate and more dangerous.
The problem with scuds is, that you can put all kinds of warheads on it, including chemical and biological devices. I don't think a kid with a pellet gun can do that, do you ?
Old 12-15-2002, 10:20 AM   #12
Grojlach
Zartan

Sorry for going off-topic...

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Like all other Arabs
*shakes head in disapproval*[/QUOTE]Shake all you want.[/QUOTE]And I will. For as long as you keep on generalizing about how all Arabs are liars and evil and deserve to be nuked (as you've stated before on this board) I *will* shake my head in disapproval, yes. You and many others are only helping to widen the gap between the Western and Arab culture, increase the mistrust by generalizing an entire culture, millions of people with a mind of their own with only a small group of them fitting your descriptions and those of people with similar ideas as you have. Only causing more misunderstandings, awkward situations and eventually mistrust and even hate among those who were falsely accused. If you keep profiling and stereotyping innocent people long enough, they will only be pushed more and more in the direction of that negative stereotype. They may even live up to that stereotype in the end, by turning all that unjustified negative stereotyping into hate they focus on those who accused them of crimes they did not commit. You think they hate you, they think you hate them; it's a vicious circle, spiralling into oblivion sooner or later.

And yes, there are rotten apples among the Arabs, just like there are plenty of deeply rotten apples among Americans and Europeans. Both cultures have brought terrible destruction upon each other in the past few decades, there's no denying that either. But just like I do not wish to be held responsible for carpetbombing Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and whatever country "us" Western people have meddled with over the years, the largest part of the Arabian populace doesn't want anything to do with the 9/11 disaster either.
"But on CNN they show images of anti-Western sentiments in those Arabian countries, angry mobs burning American flags and Bush dolls and all." Yes, Some groups of people in the Middle-East may accuse the US and capitalism for their poverty, for their misfortune - but that hate has more to do with misunderstandings and ignorance than with actually being evil or liars. It's the cultural gap causing all this friction, with hate coming forth from not being familiar with eachother's customs and habits; from paranoia, mistrust. "We" think their traditions are barbaric, "they" think we're barbaric (after all, most of what they ever get to see of the Western civilization is an aeroplane dropping bombs on them ).
And there's of course the "Blame Them" culture playing a role in all of this, proven to be succesful all throughout history. Blame others of your misfortune and poverty and hate them for that. Whether religious groups of people (Catholics, Protestants, Christians in general, Jews, Muslims, pagans, Hindus etc.) or people hated for their political beliefs (communists, capitalists), they've all had their fair share of being accused of something they weren't responsible for, but *were* accused of in waves of mass-hysteria, people incited by some charismatic loudmouth to mark them as "evil" and thinking that removing these "evil elements" from their society would solve everything or would keep their society pure and safe from harm.
I truely hope this entire "us" against "them" culture currently between the Western World and the Middle-East won't escalate any further... And that people like you *realize* exactly what you're saying when you're making such a statement concerning every single Arab in the world. And don't get me wrong, this has nothing to do with being overly political-correct or that I'm denying you your freedom of speech, but I just think you're going too far. I'll be blunt. If you really believe all Arabs are liars, evil and deserve to be nuked, you scare me more than they ever will.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:24 AM   #13
skywalker
Banned User

Thanx Grojlach.

Very well said. Intolerance will be the downfall of us all.

Mark
Old 12-15-2002, 10:33 AM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Blah blah blah
Old 12-15-2002, 11:39 AM   #15
Eisenschwarz

Quote:
Blah blah blah
I like it how you’ve completly ignored what he said.
Prejudice is oft born of ignorance.
Maybe You should trying reading some History?
The Middle east was a bastion of civilisation while europe went under in the dark ages, We got much maths from there I belive (they got some from India IIRC)
There's also a 1001 nights Which Is a Literary classic.
There's Saladin who compared to his western rivals was a paragon of virtue.
Gosh and a lot more I can't remember now. Maybe there's someone who does or has qualified in Middle East Studies here?

HTH.
TIA.
HAND.

[ 12-15-2002, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Eisenschwarz ]

Old 12-15-2002, 11:48 AM   #16
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Eisenschwarz:
quote:
Blah blah blah
I like it how you’ve completly ignored what he said.
Prejudice is oft born of ignorance.
Maybe You should trying reading some History?
The Middle east was a bastion of civilisation while europe went under in the dark ages, We got much maths from there I belive (they got some from India IIRC)
There's also a 1001 nights Which Is a Literary classic.
There's Saladin who compared to his western rivals was a paragon of virtue.
Gosh and a lot more I can't remember now. Maybe there's someone who does or has qualified in Middle East Studies here?

HTH.
TIA.
HAND.
[/QUOTE]I've read more history than you'll ever know, but that won't change my point of view, and stop bringing up how civilized the middle east was in those days. Those days are long gone, and Islam turned THEM into the dark ages now. We,ve stopped the crusades hundreds of years ago, but they're still pissed off about that. Osama bin Laden compares himself to Saladin, i think it's HIM who didn't read his historybooks. But then again, middle east history books aren't all that trustworthy. History lessons in Iraq for instance, teach us that Iraq won the Gulfwar. I must have been on another planet at that time, cause on the planet i was on, Iraq got his behind kicked... big time !
Old 12-15-2002, 12:04 PM   #17
Eisenschwarz

Quote:
I've read more history than you'll ever know,
Gosh, You think?
I mean, I have also read a huge amount of history books,
But unfortunately I tend to forget much of it (

Quote:
but that won't change my point of view, and stop bringing up how civilized the middle east was in those days. Those days are long gone, and Islam turned THEM into the dark ages now. We,ve stopped the crusades hundreds of years ago, but
Islam Is a relegion of Peace, love and justice etc in the same way that chrisianity is.
If I beat someone with a stick and say god made me do it, It no more makes christianity responsible than is An Alaskan Malamute in Texas is.

If Osama Bin laden didn't have Islam he'd have something else.

For the greater good...

That can be just as powerful a drive as religion in causeing evil.
Look at the soviet union.

Quote:
they're still pissed off about that. Osama bin Laden compares himself to
A whole Bunch of people invaded your lands claiming that their religion was the only true religion. They then killed lots of people, They Massacred over 40,000 women and children when they took Jerusalem,
Would you be pissed of for a long time if that happened?

In northern Island catholics & protestents are still at each others throats may I remind you.

Quote:
Saladin, i think it's HIM who didn't read his historybooks. But then again, middle east history books aren't all that trustworthy. History lessons in Iraq for instance, teach us that Iraq won the Gulfwar. I must have been on another planet at that time, cause on the planet i was on, Iraq got his behind kicked... big time ![/QB]
All Totaliterian states do the same, Iraq is a secular dictatorship,
Saddams evil has nothing to do with Islam and everythign to do with his desire to keep his grasp on power.
Japan in the "dark valley" Changed history in textbooks and so did the Soviet union etc.

HTH
HAND.

Old 12-15-2002, 12:12 PM   #18
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Whatever Dramnek. Some passages in the Koran say literally that muslims have a sacred duty to spread Islam all over the world, if not possible peacefully, then force is allowed. Now tell me again Islam is peaceful.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:42 PM   #19
Eisenschwarz

Quote:
Whatever Dramnek. Some passages in the Koran say literally that muslims have a sacred duty to spread Islam all over the world, if not possible peacefully, then force is allowed. Now tell me again Islam is peaceful.
So does the bible, It depends on how you interpret the religion.
Religion is something that takes on a life of its own, from an idea it can become an ideology.
Anything, when applied in a fundamentalist way can be a creator of evil.
Look at the Soviet Union (again).

[ 12-15-2002, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Eisenschwarz ]

Old 12-15-2002, 12:46 PM   #20
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Agreed, the bible doesn't make any sense to me either, but let's not go there in this topic.