Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-12-2001, 12:48 PM   #11
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

You're right, I don't know a great deal about being Wiccan except by what I have been told. I read some of a text at someones house. From what I saw, there was a great deal of ritual involving candles, chants, prayer, etc. It somewhat reminded me of druidic ritual. The only thing so far anyone has been able to tell me is that little poem that ends in "If it harms no one, do what you will." That's it. They said they were Wiccan, but didn't seem to have a good grasp of what that really meant. I personally believe they were more into dabbling than the actual religion. I'm still waiting for some good discourse on the subject. That's part of the reason I started this thread.
Old 09-12-2001, 01:03 PM   #12
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Good arguement Kaz! Quite true, also. Unfortunately, many over the years have chosen to twist religion to suit their own needs and ends. I imagine Jesus would have been infuriated by it. Even in his day there were many who did the same thing. Christianity, being the religion of choice, was used by many to fuel fuel their plans with ignorant religious fervor. I doubt there is anything in the muslim religion to condone what happened yesterday, but I'm sure all of them involved believe they have done a righteous thing. They believe they kill in the name of God. I wonder, if in dying for Allah, they were surprised to wake up to await judgement.
Old 09-12-2001, 01:45 PM   #13
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
You're right, I don't know a great deal about being Wiccan except by what I have been told. I read some of a text at someones house. From what I saw, there was a great deal of ritual involving candles, chants, prayer, etc. It somewhat reminded me of druidic ritual. The only thing so far anyone has been able to tell me is that little poem that ends in "If it harms no one, do what you will." That's it. They said they were Wiccan, but didn't seem to have a good grasp of what that really meant. I personally believe they were more into dabbling than the actual religion. I'm still waiting for some good discourse on the subject. That's part of the reason I started this thread.
So a few people have "dabbled" in witchcraft out of curiosity. I'm sure people have dabbled in christianity, ect. while deciding on a spiritual path, Or joined a religious group for something besides spiritual growth. I know a guy who started going to church in order to meet women. The discourse you are looking for, won't come from me. I respect your beliefs, but I think you started this discussion in an effort to promote your version of christianity and belittle Wicca because it represents a threat to your church's potential member base.

Old 09-12-2001, 03:23 PM   #14
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
So a few people have "dabbled" in witchcraft out of curiosity. I'm sure people have dabbled in christianity, ect. while deciding on a spiritual path, Or joined a religious group for something besides spiritual growth. I know a guy who started going to church in order to meet women. The discourse you are looking for, won't come from me. I respect your beliefs, but I think you started this discussion in an effort to promote your version of christianity and belittle Wicca because it represents a threat to your church's potential member base.

Whew! That's an assumption there killer! What exactly do you think is "my version"? I'll admit that I promote christianity, just like you promote your beliefs. I hadn't even thought of member base until you mentioned it. As far as threats to anything go, you seem more concerned about it than I. As matter of fact I'm between churches right now. Don't make me out to be a zealot who simply wishes to coerce. I simply ask for a bit of discourse about both religions. What harm can come from that? Why the agressive posture? I've stated my feelings about Wicca and christianity at this point. Go ahead and state yours. We'll see where we meet and disagree. As far as not getting any discourse out of you, it looks like we've already started.
Old 09-12-2001, 03:44 PM   #15
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:

Whew! That's an assumption there killer! What exactly do you think is "my version"? I'll admit that I promote christianity, just like you promote your beliefs. I hadn't even thought of member base until you mentioned it. As far as threats to anything go, you seem more concerned about it than I. As matter of fact I'm between churches right now. Don't make me out to be a zealot who simply wishes to coerce. I simply ask for a bit of discourse about both religions. What harm can come from that? Why the agressive posture? I've stated my feelings about Wicca and christianity at this point. Go ahead and state yours. We'll see where we meet and disagree. As far as not getting any discourse out of you, it looks like we've already started.
You'll have to forgive my assumption and implications that you are a zealot trying to coerce people to your viewpoint or protecting a potential memberbase. I was only going upon the content of your original post, which seemed "for" a certain viewpoint and "against" another. You stated that your expirience with wiccans has been limited to a few dabblers. This makes me wonder what sort of knowledgeable discourse on this topic you could actually offer.
You'll have to refer to my previous post above to see how view I view jesus christ in relation to being a witch.
And considering I claim attachment to no organized religious institution, there is no membership base to be threatend. I dont "promote" my beliefs either. I will share them if I think it's appropriate. I most certainly will stand up for them when ignorant or misleading statements are made about them. People will find their own spiritual path, And I'll not interfere eitherway.

Old 09-12-2001, 04:34 PM   #16
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I don't understand. Why would someone not want to promote his/her knowledge and beliefs? Maybe this is a base difference in the two. It would explain the aura of secrecy around wicca. At any rate, if you've seen a couple of my other posts you'll know I like to stir up a good heated discussion, so try not to be offended by where I tread. It's good for the mind and soul to get a little exposure to differing opinions and have to crank out a few arguments for pros and cons. It set's you firmer in the stuff you truly believe in and shakes you loose of the stuff you only think you believe in. Discussion and debate are , IMHO, some of the best learning tools available.