Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2006, 02:33 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Looks like I caught my first ever virus, thanks to a sneaky one getting into an online game that I sometimes play with my brother-in-law, called ConquerOnline. I went to their website today and read that a recent update had sent us a virus, and that they did not catch it in time because it was not detected by Norton. They claim that only McAfee Plus was confirmed to be of any help, so I downloaded their trial version, taking their advice and having to remove Avast before installation.

Then I boot into Safe Mode and try to access McAfee, but it will not turn on! The danged thing don't work in Safe Mode, so I had to reboot and let Windows boot up and from normal operation is the only way I can get McAfee to actually run a scan.

Crap that it is. Its running now...let's see if it can actually detect the blamed virus in the next hour that it'll take to run.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:32 AM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Update: McAfee was able to delete the two known files from my game folder and I rebooted and looked for them and they did not return.

I am still spiffed that the virus scanner would not initiate during SafeMode, but at least I can go to bed now. Blasted day its been, y'all.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:02 AM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

Get rid of Macaffe... you are better of with just wishing you don't get a virus than using it.

F-prot is in my opinion the best virus scanner, it does not use up all your memory like Macaffee and Norton (just getting rid of Norton and I felt like I got a brand new computer), it has a very good realtime scanner, its datafiles are updated almost daily, it's cheap, you can buy it and set it up on 3 computer in the same house... and it's Icelandic... doesn't get much better... [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-12-2006, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:55 AM   #4
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

If your looking for accuracy there is a 3rd party Website http://www.virusbtn.com that regularly tests all the virus software manufacturers.

Symantec are one of the ONLY to score 100% on all tests. Many other manufacturers fail these in the wild tests and known threat tests.

I know Symantec software can be a resource hog at times though a lot of this has been addressed in the 2007 release.

BTW Larry which virus was it? It is rare for one of our scanners not to pick a virus up, also what version were you running?
Old 11-12-2006, 05:23 AM   #5
ZFR
Legion Symbol

So is this the thread where we post which antivirus is best?

If so I recommend Avast!. Been using it for almost a year and it's great. It also got 100% in the virusbulletin tests.

And the Home Edition is completely free.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Dunno where AVG scored but it's lower in my books now that they're not offering free coverage after January. I think i'll still go with AVG though. Haven't had any problems since it was installed. The last one, Trend Micro was a shocker. It took weeks of stuffing around before i fixed the damage that it let through: Damage necessary for the anti-virus adware that followed...
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:46 AM   #7
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

can you guys check where ESET (NOD is another name) in the VBtest 100%? I couldnt register as my activation key hasnt arrived in my email account yet.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:43 AM   #8
andrewas
Harper

40 success/ 3 failure/ 5 no entries. October was a success, as was every entry since april 02. A better record than Symantech, at 34 success/6 failure/8 no entry, although the most recent failure was back september '99.

@sever - AVG is still free, its just the older version which is being discontinued.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

cheers andrewas [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #10
ZFR
Legion Symbol

and while you're at it andrewas, can you check Avast for me?