Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2001, 07:59 AM   #1
Zaragoth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I asked this in another forum and most people said human sorcerers. What do you think?
I think that thiefs fits the story best I know that they can´t use magics and such but in every book I read, the main character is a bit weaker than the rest of the group that they are traveling with. Almost always anyway.. So - what race and class do you think fits the story best?
-thx-

Old 08-10-2001, 12:02 PM   #2
Legolas the Elven Archer

The main character has lived in candlekeep his/her entire youth, listening to tales of adventure and magic, being lectured in the city with a very extensive library and running errands for everyone. You have never been outside of the city, as you wouldn't be allowed back in.
In BG1 you hardly knew how to fight seeing as how whatshisname and Eric were lecturing you (even though the lessons were mostly for the player, not the character, and you regularly fought rats), so a warrior class is unlikely.
The presence of all the books might mean you could be a mage, but they were most likely discouraging because there were so many. Being a sorcerer might be an option though, as they don't have to read in books to be able to cast spells.
Your best friend Imoen was a thief, so you most likely had no problems with thievery, but seeing as she did the stealing, you would most likely do something else (though she might have taught you some things).
Being a druid is most unlikely, as there hardly is any nature inside Candlekeep.
The lack of a monestary means you couldn't become a real monk either (but if Gorion hadn't adopted you, who knows where an orphin might end up...)
Being a cleric is quite unlikely as well, since you weren't working at the temple of Oghma bt inside the library.

And this leaves us with the Bard. As a child you've heard plenty of tales and songs, your best friend taught you some sleight of hand, you picked up a spell or two whilst studying in the library and you had some fighting lessons. Your errand running has made you quite inventive and has changed your naturally mean and evil attitude to a more pleasant one and increased your charisma. Making people happy has kept you off the evil path followed by most other Bhaalspawn and the only thing that could stand in your way is your own voice.

As for the race, that would automatically be human or halfelf, since the mortal Bhaal was human and half orcs can't sing.

Since you never wondered if Imoen was your sister, it is likely you were of a different race, hence your mother was an Elf and you're a Half-Elven Bard. Which kind of bard depends on how you react to your life on the road, though you'll most likely take things more seriously than a Jester.

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 08-10-2001, 12:09 PM   #3
Starkiller
The Magister

Mage is just as valid. Just becuase there are a lot of books does not make them daunting...on the contrary, anyone with that spark of interest in knowledge and magery inside them would simply be drawn to the library, and the ease of access makes it even easier. Plus the fact that Gorion was your adoptive father and a mage, and since you would have had the essence of Bhaal, you would have had a natural knack for magic, and ones parents are often the most influential figures in ones life at early ages, most kids at some point want to do what their parents do...so say your father is a mage, you get interested, and find that you have the potential inside you to be one of the most powerful mages ever. I think I would know wat I wanted to do in life right then and there.

------------------
"Not everything ends the way you think it should"
Old 08-10-2001, 02:12 PM   #4
Tancred
White Dragon

Perhaps a Cleric? Candlekeep was a monastery town, after all. Gorion might have been able to enroll his ward as a novice in the service of Ogmha? Apart from that, I agree with the Bard idea.

My own character - the first, original one - was a Paladin. When I was sufficiently immersed in BG2 and realised I could rewrite my biography, I wondered how I'd become a Paladin - and made up the idea of Gorion having his ward tutored in the service of Helm in the hope that dedication to a neutral god of law would contain the essence of the evil god within him. He was almost right.
Old 08-10-2001, 02:15 PM   #5
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkiller:
Mage is just as valid. Just becuase there are a lot of books does not make them daunting...on the contrary, anyone with that spark of interest in knowledge and magery inside them would simply be drawn to the library, and the ease of access makes it even easier. Plus the fact that Gorion was your adoptive father and a mage, and since you would have had the essence of Bhaal, you would have had a natural knack for magic, and ones parents are often the most influential figures in ones life at early ages, most kids at some point want to do what their parents do...so say your father is a mage, you get interested, and find that you have the potential inside you to be one of the most powerful mages ever. I think I would know wat I wanted to do in life right then and there.

Not sure if the essence of Bhaal would mark a man out as being a gifted sorceror. I mean, it MIGHT do - the gifts seem to exhibit themselves in different ways. But the essence of Bhaal seems more an innate talent directed by alignment rather than class.
Old 08-10-2001, 02:45 PM   #6
Istaron
Banned User

The bard-theory sound kinda good.
Otherwise, I would say mage or cleric. Candlekeep has the greatest libary in Faerun, so study the arts of magics would only be natural, especially since Gorion, your foster-father, was a (meant-to-be)powerfull mage.
Cleric is also an option, since most of the people working and living in the fortress were monks (of the none-fighting nature).

When they say one has never been outside the walls of Candlekeep, they might not have meant it literarly. I mean, you might have gone for a picnic 1 km outside with Gorion and Imoen. I belive "never been outside the walls of Candlekeep" just means that you have never travelled.

With that possibility, and the fact that Gorion was a Harper, druid might as well be a choise. He might have had many Harper-druid friends visiting that talked about nature and stuff.

Theif, sure, Imoen could have influed you.

Fighter/ranger/Paladin, you can have read about them in books and dream the whole days about being one. So that is also possible; you are not that skilled in the art of war when Gorion gets killed because of the lack of training.

As I see it, only the classes new for BG2 (Barbarian/Monk) does not fit in.
There were no monks that knew the martial arts in Candle Keep, as far as I know. And barbarian... who the hell would dream about being a moron that just throws himself into battle after battle.
Half-orc does not fit so good either, since you would have been kinda badly met by people in the Baldurs Gate region (they don't like orcs).

But mage and cleric is the most logical alternatives.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 08-10-2001, 02:47 PM   #7
Istaron
Banned User

About the races: Human or half/elf fits best in the story

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 08-10-2001, 04:55 PM   #8
Zaragoth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

When I use a special kit or class, I always write a little in the biography telling why I´m this or that class. I also add a few persons that in reality never existed but that helped me in my skills. ( It seems pretty strange that the monks in the keep would show you how to become a successful Assassin )
Old 08-11-2001, 04:01 AM   #9
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Well, Gorion raised you with many heroic storys wich might have inspired you to become a warrior.
So i would say Paladin since he is a cleric/fighter and you cant have lived with those monks for twenty years without learning anything about clerical magic.

------------------

Those who watch their backs meet death from the front- Dreamer128 Demonslayer of the OHF.
Old 08-11-2001, 01:21 PM   #10
Istaron
Banned User

Well, assasin also fits in well. I mean, you have it in the gens! In the History of the Dead Tree it says Bhaal was an assasin as a mortal.
So becoming like your father, even though you've never met him, sounds right to me.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen