Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2002, 03:13 AM   #41
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Personally, I don't like music, so I don't have much of an opinion on mp3's, but from time to time I do download software from file sharing program.

I am a big fan of the "Free for personal user, but not for corporation" and "try before you buy" mentality.

Sometime, when I learn of an interesting program, I will go on a filesharing program and download it. If I like the program and I can afford it, I will buy it. If the program suck, I will promptly delete it and use my money for something else. If the program is good, but I could never afford it, then I might keep it for personal use.

I see nothing wrong in this, as I still buy things I like and I save money by not buying bad products. I believe the same thing could apply to mp3's.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:20 AM   #42
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I actually almost only download music that's free anyway. Stuff that can't be gotten offline, in my opinion it beats most of the junk that's being produced nowadays. I HAVE downloaded a bit of Pink Floyd music earlier on, but I did buy several CD's later on. I did that because I liked their music and having it on CD was something different than just having a ton of MP3's. I can't really do that often, though, for as mentioned earlier most kids don't really have the money to buy all of the CD's that they want and downloading MP3's is sometimes the only way to get the music that you want to listen to, then.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:01 AM   #43
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

So what's the diff between dwnldng MP3s off the internet and taping songs you like from the radio or making a mixed tape of all your fav songs?
The only difference I can see is the scale of it.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:08 AM   #44
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:
So what's the diff between dwnldng MP3s off the internet and taping songs you like from the radio or making a mixed tape of all your fav songs?
The only difference I can see is the scale of it.
The sound quality. Tapes, especially when recording from the radio, do not have the same quality as the original recording. MP3's virtually do. Also, tapes don't last as long - try playing a tape that's a couple of years old and you'll notice [img]smile.gif[/img]

Another thing I'm wondering about - why has no one brought up the price of CDs so far? Where I live, CDs are ridiculously expensive (at the very least $ 20). I think that by artificially keeping up the high prices, the music industry itself is guilty of encouraging piracy. Thoughts?
Old 06-20-2002, 08:15 AM   #45
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Yep people are more likely to rip it because the industry is gouging them. No argument there. I still dont think it justifys theft though.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:21 AM   #46
stenbjorn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i have a very large amount of mp3's myself , but i can safely say that i usually download a song of 2-3 to see what an album is like before buying it as this gives me a wider view of the album and i always like to have the actual cd...

shame that audiogalaxy is gone , it was the best thing for older punk bands etc and underground music...

i agree with ppl saying the stuff about exploiting etc i think (im not usre bout this) that the amount of cd's bought increased after the opening such as napster by about 9% , so i really dont see the point of closing these things down as most people tend to use it sensibly and dont run international piracy rackets....
Old 06-20-2002, 08:25 AM   #47
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Absolutely agree with you Mel, some of the import CDs (especially Europe House) are ridiculously overpriced.

Sorry if my last post was vague but I am all for dwnldng MP3s and I am sad to see AG go.

What I shoulda included in my last post was that it's a hell of alota trouble to get the songs you want off the radio and into an order that you're happy with, let alone the probs with quality as you brought up.

I read somewhere that the artists get less than 50c for each CD sold, the CDs themselves can't cost more than $1 each so apart from shipping/packaging/marketing where does the rest of the money go?
Now if there was a way that the artists could sell direct to the public for a substantially lower price...

[ 06-20-2002, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Downunda ]
Old 06-20-2002, 02:49 PM   #48
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:
Absolutely agree with you Mel, some of the import CDs (especially Europe House) are ridiculously overpriced.

Sorry if my last post was vague but I am all for dwnldng MP3s and I am sad to see AG go.

What I shoulda included in my last post was that it's a hell of alota trouble to get the songs you want off the radio and into an order that you're happy with, let alone the probs with quality as you brought up.

I read somewhere that the artists get less than 50c for each CD sold, the CDs themselves can't cost more than $1 each so apart from shipping/packaging/marketing where does the rest of the money go?
Now if there was a way that the artists could sell direct to the public for a substantially lower price...
The 'system' is not set up to allow this. Unfortunately a few record companies dominate dominate the popular music scene; they effectively control which records radio stations and music tv channels play, and which band music stores will promote. This gives them control over what music people hear, know about and buy. They are able to define what is fashionable this season; and artists (I use the term losely)are all too easily signed up, used then spat out when the next teen sensation comes along. As these marketing executives insist on telling me what music I want to listen to, how do I find out what I really want to listen to? I disagree whole heartedly in the use if filesharing programs to 'bulk up' your music collection. However, when I hear a good vibe about a band, I like to hear them before buying a cd. At moment I rarely hear any of these from sources outside my cd collection, even on so called 'independant' radio stations. Currently I see no other way of getting out of being force fed music.

To quote from the Constellationwebsite (one of the truly independant record companies); 'Evil cowards rule the world.'
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 06-20-2002, 06:35 PM   #49
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

I am going to play devils advocate here !!

What if someone were to offer the Audiogalaxy people a ton of money for their now useless server and programing and restart the whole thing overseas. Could the RIAA still sue me if I re opened Audiogalaxy.com from England or France instead of from Texas?? If the RIAA doesnt have any pull except in america I think we should take up a collection and do just that.

Then again , what if the Audiogalaxy people just gave the RIAA people the finger, kept their server and system running and told the world its their stuff to do with as they please?? How enforceable is a law or law suit if the person involved simply tells the corporation or government to go get bent??

[ 06-20-2002, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: The Hunter of Jahanna ]
Old 06-23-2002, 08:36 PM   #50
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

What hasn't been said here is what happens when the same ideals used to subvert the major corporations affects the real independent music?
What if your favorite alt artists start to disappear because they just can't afford to keep putting out music - because no one is buying it?
I actually think the candy analogy is a good one, all the more so because I pictured my small locally owned corner store - this affects more than just obscenely rich recording companies.
Why, if I have spent time, money and creative intellect producing something I feel has value, should I just accept people ripping me off? Because Sony makes lots of money? I don't! The avenue is there for people to share/give music freely if they want (and many including myself do) if some one doesn't want to, why shouldn't they be protected by law?