Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2001, 10:48 AM   #1
Sir Jaren Tor
Dungeon Master

GRRR. Went to a lot of trouble depending on studded leather throughout the game, only to find that while the stalker should be able to use the Bladesinger chain, he can't. But the oddest part is that he CAN use the Drow chainmail. Why? Is it a bug that he can wear the drow, or that he cant wear the elven chain mail? Or is it just to frustrate me?

Comments?

------------------
Awww geez, not another chaotic neutral? Where do these people come from anyway?
Old 07-20-2001, 11:01 AM   #2
koz-ivan
Manshoon

it's a bug that he can wear the drow chain.

Old 07-20-2001, 01:34 PM   #3
Aurican
Elminster

Why did you think you'd be able to wear elven chain as a stalker?

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?

http://angelfire.com/rpg/aurican
Old 07-20-2001, 03:37 PM   #4
Sir Jaren Tor
Dungeon Master

Why wouldn't he? All the ranger skills are supposed to be dependant on light armor, and elven chain is light armor. It only makes sense that he should be able to wear it. The restriction should be to light armors and not studded leather in my opinion. It makes more sense that way.

------------------
Old 07-20-2001, 08:08 PM   #5
Istaron
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Jaren Tor:
Why wouldn't he? All the ranger skills are supposed to be dependant on light armor, and elven chain is light armor. It only makes sense that he should be able to wear it. The restriction should be to light armors and not studded leather in my opinion. It makes more sense that way.

It is a CHAIN-mail right? You don't move that silent with those. How are you going to stalk an evil Cow led Wizard in the woods tingling like 100 small bells?

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 07-20-2001, 08:33 PM   #6
Sir Jaren Tor
Dungeon Master

Sorry, but I've played a lot of PnP, and I know for a fact that Elven chain is almost completely unencumbering. It has no arcane spell failure, and can be worn by ANYONE but a straight mage. Its light as clothing but strong as chain mail. Thats why its Elven Chain. If you get any of the 3rd edition source books, you can see that Elven chain caries a LOWER spell failure than Studded leather, and equivelent penalties for certain skill checks. The only essential difference between studded leather and Elven Chain is that one is metal and the other is metal studded. And Elven Chain has a Better AC rating. It seems to me that theres no reason why a stalker shouldn't be able to wear Elven Chain. If anyone disagrees w/ me let me know why, because I can't think of any good reason.

The Class Disadvantages reads "May not wear armor greater than Studded Leather" What exactly is "greater" supposed to mean? Elven chain is certainly not any heavier. If you would go by AC rating then i suppose that you could say that Elven chains is greater than studded leather. (in terms of a defense bonus). I maintain that elven chain should be allowed to the stalker. Anyone who knows of a fix for this (and it is a fix in my opinion since the kit limits you to what is supposed to only be light armors, but nerfs the possibility of getting the really cool +5 elven chain from ToB)

------------------
Old 07-20-2001, 11:34 PM   #7
Sir Jaren Tor
Dungeon Master

*BUMP*
Old 07-21-2001, 01:38 AM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Jaren Tor:
The Class Disadvantages reads "May not wear armor greater than Studded Leather" What exactly is "greater" supposed to mean? Elven chain is certainly not any heavier. If you would go by AC rating then i suppose that you could say that Elven chains is greater than studded leather. (in terms of a defense bonus)....
You are correct here. Elven Chain Mail is chain, which is "better" (or at least more protective) than studded leather, if you discount any enchantments. So no chain mail, ring mail, splint mail, banded mail (not that banded mail exists in SoA), plate mail, field plate, or full plate may be worn by Stalkers. There are several very worthy suits of leather/studded leather armor to be found in SoA, so don't despair.

btw, you might want to watch out for/edit out any potential "spoiler"-like information pertaining to ToB.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....

Who are you? What do you want?