Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-01-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Has the world gone mad???

Saints keen on Woodward

Southampton chairman Rupert Lowe has revealed that England rugby coach Sir Clive Woodward could join the club. Lowe will discuss Woodward's potential involvement at a board meeting at St Mary's on Thursday.

"Sir Clive expressed an interest in getting into football and has looked at our academy and other aspects of the club," Lowe told The Times newspaper.

Woodward confirmed on Wednesday that he would be resigning from his post as England rugby coach.

The 2003 World Cup-winning coach attended Saints' Premiership match against Chelsea on Saturday alongside Lowe, who admits an association with Woodward could be mutually beneficial.

Lowe added: "If we can learn from him about motivation, improving individuals and becoming world-class, then great. And if we can help him then we are very happy, too.

"He's running the England rugby team for the next 12 months, as I am aware, but I will be discussing his involvement at the board meeting on Thursday."

Woodward's contract with the RFU runs until after the next World Cup in 2007.

He is set to resign on Wednesday but a clause in his contract may mean he will have to work a year's notice.

Reports say Woodward has had a fall out with his bosses and will complete a sensational switch to football
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 09-01-2004, 02:18 PM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

Awg, seen this kind of thing happen before. We've had our former national field hockey coach turn into a financial director of a small football team (NAC) a few years back. He eventually managed to mess things up big time, though...
Old 09-01-2004, 08:12 PM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

Lowe added: "If we can learn from him about motivation, improving individuals and becoming world-class, then great. And if we can help him then we are very happy, too.
Does he knows football tactics and strategies as well?
Old 09-02-2004, 05:21 AM   #4
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I hear that he is drafting in Wilko to take all the penalties (special instructions needed - under the bar please), and will soon be introducing Johnny's trade mark "praying mantis" (or is it just constipation) techniques of concentration before the taking of all free kicks, corners, and goal kicks.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:41 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Like a house of cards...

Old 09-02-2004, 05:51 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

From a www.bbc.co.uk report apparently Sir Woody said this:

Quote:
Sir Woody said:
"My whole background is in football," he said.
"I love football and I go to as many games as I possibly can. I never had that passion for rugby I have for football. I never got into rugby in the same way.
"I was forced into playing rugby, because that's the only game the school played. And I hated it. I ran away a couple of times because of football. I didn't mind being at boarding school. I just hated not playing football."
Full report HERE
[img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

[ 09-02-2004, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 09-02-2004, 05:58 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

And there's another twist...Sir Woody hasn't resigned yet apparently. From the esteemed UK broadsheet the Sun.

---------
Woody war
By TONY ROCHE

ENGLISH rugby was a laughing stock last night as Sir Clive Woodward’s planned resignation stumbled over money.

World Cup-winner Woody went to Twickenham to invoke the one-year get-out clause in his four-year £1million contract.

But after an 8½-hour meeting with RFU chief executive Francis Baron, Woodward stormed out claiming: “As far as I am concerned I am still England head coach. I have not handed in my resignation.”

A source close to this increasingly embarrassing shambles revealed: “It’s about money.

“Clive wants to see out his 12-month notice in office but the RFU said if he actually tendered his resignation, they would prefer he did so with immediate effect.

“But they have no intention of paying the £250,000 Clive believes he is entitled to according to his contract.”

Woodward had marched into rugby HQ yesterday morning insisting: “I have come here to resign.”

When he left, the RFU issued a statement saying: “The RFU can confirm discussions between chairman of the RFU management board Graeme Cattermole, chief executive Francis Baron, Sir Clive Woodward and his legal representative will now reconvene on Thursday.

“Sir Clive has not formally tendered his written resignation and therefore, contrary to some media reports, we have not refused to accept it. Clive’s position will be discussed further on Thursday.”

Nigel Melville, Andy Robinson and Newcastle chief Rob Andrew are the early favourites to replace Woodward.

Gloucester coach Melville said: “The job is not something I have ever thought about. I am not out of contract — so that probably rules me out.”

Robinson, Woody’s England No 2, said: “If I was asked to follow him I would try and do it my way.”

Woodward’s determination to end his seven-year reign seemed clear as he allowed media speculation this week to mount over his future.

He privately made it known his real reason for wanting out was the on-going battle with England’s top 12 Premiership clubs over access to his elite 40-player squad.

To add a touch of farce, Southampton FC — where Woody’s pal Rupert Lowe is chairman — say they are on the verge of offering Woody a role at the club even though he has never kicked a ball in serious competition.

Source: www.thesun.co.uk

Original article found HERE

----------

Old 09-02-2004, 07:31 AM   #8
Donut
Jack Burton

Uggh! Memnoch reads The Sun - can this man sink any lower in my estimation????
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 09-02-2004, 11:37 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Don't be silly double-D, The Sun's one of your better papers. I thought Mr Roche summed the situation up rather well.

Old 09-02-2004, 06:07 PM   #10
Davros
Takhisis Follower

So is he gunna coach Sowfampton or not? Two of my people at work are St Mary's born and bred, and I delight in being the first to let them know about any new dizzying lows .