Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2001, 08:26 PM   #31
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Maybe a passing druid cast Plant Growth on his lawn? Or maybe a cleric of the Cow God Moooooh cast Manure on it.
Old 06-03-2001, 08:29 PM   #32
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I water as the plants need it, Bahamut! If we get a nice steady,soaking rain, I only water my flowers in the window box on the Shed porch because they don't get the rain, but all the others do. If it's really hot and dry, I may 'deep' water things once or twice in the week. Plants in containers dry out quickly and get watered daily for the most part.

If trees and shrubs are new, they get regular deep watering once/week or every 10 days or so for their first year or two. I tend to go with pretty low maintenance and native plants so I don't do a lot of extra watering and fussing.

Cloudy

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 06-03-2001, 08:57 PM   #33
Gaelic
Elminster

For some reason, my yard seems to stall the growth as long as possible, but then launches grass so quickly it would stab into your foot if you were standing on it. In a week I'll have no worry of rain runoff in the newly seeded areas. That means two weeks total time with seed on the ground.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-03-2001, 08:59 PM   #34
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaelic:
For some reason, my yard seems to stall the growth as long as possible, but then launches grass so quickly it would stab into your foot if you were standing on it. In a week I'll have no worry of rain runoff in the newly seeded areas. That means two weeks total time with seed on the ground.

I think it depends on the type of grass you plant, too. Some germinates faster than others. Mine is a northern mix of types.

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 06-04-2001, 02:43 AM   #35
Moni

Cloudy and Gaelic,
I just seeded a small area of our yard with grass...I think it was less than a week ago or just a week ago. The grass pkge (Kentucky Bluegrass) says it has a ten to fourteen day germination time, however, yesterday it sprouted out of the ground and stand almost two inches tall today! With the exception of the spots where some people tromped through it the day before, it looks great! The cats can't wait for me to stop keeping it moist so that they can lounge in it...they are waiting in line LOL!

Moni

------------------

Old 06-04-2001, 03:50 PM   #36
Gaelic
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Cloudy and Gaelic,
I just seeded a small area of our yard with grass...I think it was less than a week ago or just a week ago. The grass pkge (Kentucky Bluegrass) says it has a ten to fourteen day germination time, however, yesterday it sprouted out of the ground and stand almost two inches tall today! With the exception of the spots where some people tromped through it the day before, it looks great! The cats can't wait for me to stop keeping it moist so that they can lounge in it...they are waiting in line LOL!

Moni

I am as green as that grass with envy, Moni!

I am using a fescue. It's a hearty and fairly uniform grass that looks great when the weeds are clear. My problem is the clay soil. I have to spread a thin layer of topsoil to achieve any results. I also make liberal use of fertilizer, but I am careful not to burn the grass with it.

Old 06-04-2001, 03:53 PM   #37
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaelic:

I am as green as that grass with envy, Moni!

I am using a fescue. It's a hearty and fairly uniform grass that looks great when the weeds are clear. My problem is the clay soil. I have to spread a thin layer of topsoil to achieve any results. I also make liberal use of fertilizer, but I am careful not to burn the grass with it.

Gaelic,

Best thing for that clay is a mix of types! Kentucky blue, ryegrass, and fescues! Light layer of soil/sand on top of the clay and the seed on that. Takes about 2 yrs to fill in but WHOOO! Does it fill in!

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 06-04-2001, 03:57 PM   #38
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

How are those little bunnies coming along Cloudy?

------------------
Old 06-04-2001, 04:01 PM   #39
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerome:
How are those little bunnies coming along Cloudy?
Teehee! Saw one nibbling my weeds just the other day, Jerome! Want me to round some up and send them to Scotland? hehehe

Cloudy, on her way home!

------------------
Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 06-04-2001, 05:02 PM   #40
Gaelic
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Gaelic,

Best thing for that clay is a mix of types! Kentucky blue, ryegrass, and fescues! Light layer of soil/sand on top of the clay and the seed on that. Takes about 2 yrs to fill in but WHOOO! Does it fill in!

Cloudy

I first put clay emulsifier down, then worked it in with a hard rake, then a light layer of topsoil, then seed and fertilizer. It is doing pretty well as long as I stay disciplined about watering it. After a while I need to spray weed killer a couple of times. In the early fall I am going to de-thatch it all and reseed. That should clear many of the weeds and get it looking great for next season.

I hope.

------------------
Gaelic