Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-28-2003, 05:49 AM   #11
Baros
Manshoon

There is one case where speed factor, particularly of missile weapons is vital and that is a comparison against spells. A lower speed factor weapon is more likely to strike the mage before he gets his spell off. The same applies to spells, which is what makes MM great for disruption. Think also of how cheesy the Robe of Vecna is considered to be.
Baros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:55 AM   #12
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

with robe of vecna and the amulet of power... my mage ALWAYS gets the first spell off instantly, no matter what spell it is
Old 01-28-2003, 10:18 AM   #13
Jim
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by karlosovic:
with robe of vecna and the amulet of power... my mage ALWAYS gets the first spell off instantly, no matter what spell it is
Not necessarily.....spells with a casting time below 5 are cast instantly in this case. Those between 5-10 will effectively be cast with a casting time of 1-5 (or 0.6-3 seconds). All it takes is an archer with a SF of 0 to surprise an unprotected mage, and the protectile will disrput the spell casting (negating projectile speed).

Don't under-estimate the importance of weapon speed factor
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:31 PM   #14
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

Fortunatly Stone skin is instantaneos and protection from missles is handy. Robe of Vecna is good aslong as your mage is surrounded by you characters. Spells like Death spell and sphere of Chaos(Only just used it and its pretty good, turning bad guys into squirrals) take about2 seconds to cast. Its fully worth the battle to obtain. Besides I didn't fight the lich. you don't have to
. Just run to the other side of the room where he can't see you.

Warby
Warby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:39 PM   #15
Raistlin Majere
Ra

I think you should have to fight Vecna for the robe. it would be MUCH cooler than merely buying it for a few gold.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:45 PM   #16
Baros
Manshoon

Actually, yes. That's the one thing that pi**es me off most of all - the amount of unique, powerful magic items that random shop owners just keep around. There doesn't seem to be any form of economic model employed in Amn (Baldur's Gate was bad enough, but this is worse).

The adventurer's mart has what, 4 customers in there? How much money do they have and how likely is it that one of them would buy the Robe of Vecna? How does Ribald live? (at least he bothered to get security).

I've also said it before but who buys unenchanted weapons? There are hundreds of people selling them, but has anyone EVER bought one?

Powerful magic items should be won, stolen or retrieved from difficult opponents or quests, not bought from the Kwik-e-mart.
Baros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 07:09 AM   #17
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Baros:

I've also said it before but who buys unenchanted weapons? There are hundreds of people selling them, but has anyone EVER bought one?

G'day
EEERRMM yes. in tob you will come across the need. My hero enters local shop red faced and asks for a plain dagger to go, and dont bother wrapping it !

[img]graemlins/uhoh2.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote