Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2002, 02:51 PM   #21
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

A lowlevel monk is not that powerful but a high-level monk only has Kangaxx to look up to when invulnerability comes to mind.

A lowlevel monk is still powerful with his unarmed attacks, they are just a little vulnerable. View it as a "test" you have to pass in order to gain greater insight.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:54 PM   #22
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Slightly [img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img] but what resistances do druids get at lvl 21 and do fighter/druids get the same thing?
Old 09-15-2002, 03:59 PM   #23
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

Druids gain 10% Resistance to Fire, Cold, Acid and Electricity I think. Then they gain another 10% some other time and then another 10% some other time! Fighter/Druids get the same, yes.
DJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 04:30 PM   #24
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

Being curious I used the EX cap remover and then cheated to max out to lvl 40. The monk was just about invincible to any magic attack. I was attacked by the guys that appear if you kill to many people and the mages could harm me and the gaurds weapons didn't work against me.I just slaughtered everyone I met. Quite fun really.

Warby
Warby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 05:29 PM   #25
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Warby:
Being curious I used the EX cap remover and then cheated to max out to lvl 40. The monk was just about invincible to any magic attack. I was attacked by the guys that appear if you kill to many people and the mages could harm me and the gaurds weapons didn't work against me.I just slaughtered everyone I met. Quite fun really.

Warby
Natural 78% Magic resistance. PLus 10-20% from items (I forget the specifics) Plus one of the hell tests can give you some IIRC. Anyway my monk was running at 113% MR, which was fun when the mages came out. Elder Orbs could still get through though

Plus you get a natural immunity to mundane weapons way before hell, which is useful.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:48 PM   #26
Mr Flibble
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, just to show you the strength of a high level monk, here are the stats on my monk that I took through both SoA and ToB, without using any mods, tweaks, or cap removers (and obviously, without any items):

Level 40
AC: -10
HP: 150 (a little on low side, but rarely a problem)
Base THAC0: 0
THAC0 Using fists (+4 weapons): -7
Number of attacks (with fists): 4
Find traps: 145
Move Silently: 145
Hide in Shadows: 145

Saving Throws:
Paralyzing/Poison/Death: -1 (-2)
Rod/Staff/Wand: 3 (-2)
Petrify/Polymorph: 2 (-2)
Breath Weapons: 2 (-2)
Spells: 2 (-2)

Resistances:
Fire: 20
Cold: 20
Elec: 20
Magic: 93 ******** WOW ********
Poison: 100

Using this Monk in multiplayer games, the *ONLY* thing that has ever given him trouble is Kangaxx and that darn Imprisonment spell. And using Greater Whirlwind Attack, Quivering Palm, and other Ability bonuses, my monk can take on Dragons single-handed and clean house. So, yes, monks ARE good characters, but mostly once you get to level 25. Once there, you can just run him into a room of wizards/warriors, and he can take anything the wizards dish out, and wipe out the fighters rather quickly.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:21 PM   #27
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Merlin Al'Thor:
I'm not a retarded fighter, thank u very much. and its just my opinion not the whole bloody states. And they can;t wear armour so beat that,
don't knock monks lol by the end of TOB my monk had an AC of -18 (with items) and somthing like -30 against missile weapons. with AC like that who needs armour

[ 09-15-2002, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Daniel ]
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 11:32 AM   #28
Thuram
Dungeon Master

I am soloing a Monk. I am level 17 by now. So far, I am quite impressed about him. I had read many comments and had thought him weaker. But so far I must say he is really strong.

I just killed those guys in the guarded house in the Temple District - those who have Celestial Fury. This is supposed to be one of the toughest fight in the game. WITH the right tactic it was really easy.

When I really got impressed first time was when I killed the demon outside the Planar Sphere (when you need his heart). I remember that with my party before (Thief/Mage, Jaheira, Minsc + some elementals summons) I really had problems. With the Monk though I killed him at the first try.

In a party however, I definetly wouldn't use him as a tank. Either put a Ranger/Cleric (Plate Armor + Shield + Iron Skin + Blade Barrier) or a Fighter/Mage (Plate Armor (just cast your protective spells before entering battle) + Shield + Stoneskin + Mirror Image + ....)
Thuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 12:27 PM   #29
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

sure, but he cannot take on MY warrior's dishs, especially my barbarian will smash any monk for desert. I kill those things four at a time

[ 09-16-2002, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: 250 ]
250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 12:38 PM   #30
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
sure, but he cannot take on MY warrior's dishs, especially my barbarian will smash any monk for desert. I kill those things four at a time
Now, now, let's not start getting all macho and stuff. I still remember the time we debated Monk vs Sorcerer. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Barbarian vs Monk will only lead to endless ranting( although Jim has proven a Barbarian can HEAL from a Monk's attack except the Quivering Palm and any non-crushing-damage weapon that the Monk use( but if a Monk resorts to weapons... Barby's gonna have fun)).

Any class is powerful in the right hands. I will fail miserably as a plain Fighter, but not Kaltia. Give me a Bard though, and I can do wonders.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote