Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #211
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Remember that Dutch comic about Mohamad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
And if a human scientist can "create" a living cell in a lab, how does it prove/support "evolution"?
It proves that life can occur from nothing, without the existence of a higher power.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #212
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

But it's not occurring from nothing, the scientist is using "something" to make it. And there is a higher power (than the cell being made at least), indeed an intelligent force at work, namely the scientist.

Besides it defies basic logic that anything that has a beginning would be without a cause.

Off topic: how did a quote from my post get credited to Variol?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 09-09-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #213
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I disagree. Human motivation is varied and can often be unexpected.

For example, I have no interest in pedantic debate on the topic and if that's is the questioner's motive, I simply and respectfully won't answer. My faith is so strong and certain, debate like that is simply a waste of time when other more important work can be done.

Besides, I already provided the answer. To find it point in the shortest direction across the universe.
Lavindathar is correct - I'm curious. You don't believe any gods exist, yet you have a strong faith. The two seem to be mutually exclusive (to me), so I'm curious what you have faith in.

My apologies if you've answered this before. I've been gone for three years and I don't remember what you may have said before.

I'm also curious why you keep responding to a thread you consistently state your dislike? You don't like these threads, they accomplish nothing, they are a waste of time, etc. And yet, you keep posting. That just doesn't make sense to me. If I don't like a certain thread, I usually avoid the thread. For instance, Cloudy's Cafe' just isn't my cup of tea. Nothing wrong with the thread or the posts there, it just doesn't appeal to me, so I don't post there.

Please understand that I am not criticizing you or trying to "call you out" in any way. I just find it odd for somebody to post in a thread they claim they don't like. So I'm curious as to what keeps drawing you back here. You're input and opinions are always welcome.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #214
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
Interestingly, I just came across this article on Wired

To summarize...

There's a lot more in the article, and while it doesn't pretend to imply the creation of human life, it does point towards a step on lower levels.

That article had a lot of typos! Not that I have a point about that, just something I noticed. Anyways, it was an interesting read, and could be used as an explanation for the origin of life. The article specifically mentions another possibility; that inorganic molecules were the membrane, which I would lean more towards than the fatty acids.
Anyhow, for the creation evolutionist, this does not bring about any significant problems. What has always cooked my noodle though, is the first few nanoseconds of the Big Bang Theory. I certainly have at least an average grasp of the theory itself, but the impetus for it seems to be the big question. At least, in my discussions that's always been the point no one can truly explain. We could simply say God caused the Big Bang, or that it happened randomly from the reactions occurring in the original singularity. Maybe there's new evidence that would suggest something? kinda doubt it, but I would find that to be a very compelling read.

Yeah, I'm just kinda rambling up there, sorry!

Last edited by Dron_Cah; 09-09-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #215
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumanoir View Post
It proves that life can occur from nothing, without the existence of a higher power.
Uhh, that's "not" my quote!

Edit: hey, why does that quote up there have my name attached to it?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #216
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Well I didn't change it! Seems that there're a few ghosts in the machine.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #217
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

*ahem* Can we try and keep it civil guys?

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Old 09-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #218
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Agreed, this is the very reason for the restrictions on religious discussion.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #219
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

As Tactless as Lav is being, the point behind it seems to be valid. Rise above it brad, no need to lower it down in to arguments again, it'd be the 2nd time it's happened.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #220
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Agreed, this is the very reason for the restrictions on religious discussion.
It is yes, but I think that the amount of Interesting debate that has come from it has been well worth the two little spats that've occurred.