Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2003, 05:12 PM   #1
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

I just created my evil monk and he seem to miss alot of the time which I suppose is to be expected as its new. But I have had monks before and they usually do more damage ealier on. Any ideas?.

Also. Does dexterity only affect ranged weapons or does it increase your chance of hitting someone in melee and make you harder to hit?. Its a little vague in the manual and I'd just like to clear it up.

Thanks

Warby
Warby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 05:21 PM   #2
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Dexterity only affects ranged weapons. Also you get armour class bonuses above 14 dexterity. As for your monk perhaps he has less strength than previous ones?
Old 05-15-2003, 05:44 PM   #3
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

Nope

Strenght:18
Dex: 18
Const: 18
Int:13
Wis:10
Char:8

Got the max strengh I can get.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:52 PM   #4
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Well I started a game as a monk and actually abandoned it in Irenicus' dungeon. He missed alot too and it was my first game so I realised it was going to be difficult so I started again with a newbie friendly character. I really don't think there's anything wrong with your monk perhaps your just unlucky with hit rolls. Monks do get insanely powerful at high levels but at the beginning there quite weak as you well know.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:59 PM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

Do you have any mods or anything else installed that might affect it, do you play on the same difficulty, did your previous Monks have anything equipped that this one doesn´t, are they on the same level..etc,etc. The reason I ask this is that is so easy to forget something very small but something that can affect the game.
If they have the same stat, are on the same level or simply just completely identical then there shouldn´t be a difference.

EDIT: Yes, you could just have had some bad luck with hit rolls. Was this overall on enemies or just one specific. And BTW did you compare to the same enemies, I mean different enemies have different armor class?

[ 05-15-2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 05-16-2003, 11:37 AM   #6
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

He missed goblins a fair few times but killed the golems by himself so I can't complain I suppose. I'm just gonna make a new one to see if that ones any better. Is it good to have a max dex or can I drop it a little down to 14 like Zarr said?.

Warby
Old 05-16-2003, 01:10 PM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

max it out
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:26 PM   #8
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
max it out
Yes max it out. What I said is you get armour class bonuses ABOVE 14 dexterity. So what I meant was you wanted at the very least 15 dexterity to get at least one armour class bonus point. As Xen said try and roll 18 dexterity on your monk.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:49 PM   #9
Stratos
Vampire

Dex is overall the most important stat since the armor class bonus benefits everyone. I always max it out on every character I play.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:58 AM   #10
Thuram
Dungeon Master

You can drop CON to 16. Above that value it is only useful for fighters and rangers. Monks count as clerics.

INT should be minimum 9 as this will allow you to use a wand and read scrolls.

CHAR I think it is important. As far as I understand, this will allow you to strike earlier. I once had a thief with terrible charisma. When trying to backstab he often came out of shadows before even trying to hit. I believe it was because of his CHAR but maybe anybody could give us more insight here.

And yes, max out DEX. As monks can't wear armour the AC increase because of the dexterity bonus will be very important in the beginning. It is even more important than strength 'cause you can buy early on a nice girdle for this stat.
Thuram is offline   Reply With Quote