Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-21-2001, 09:26 PM   #21
Istaron
Banned User

Well, names containing a colon or two usually scares me off. I find the POLL-mark a bit scary too

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 09-21-2001, 10:18 PM   #22
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
OK OK, the reason I ask this is that many many times I have seen what are IMO stupid, pointless threads get like 10 pages of discussion and answers and meaningful, useful threads get like 1 or 2 replies. It seems to me that most people are influenced firstly by who started the thread, for example, almost everyone reads a thread started by a moderator even if it is just crap. Only secondly are they influenced by the title. Personally, I judge by the title whether to check it out and then if I reply, I'll always check back later to see what else was said, maybe to my reply. Only after this do I worry about who started the thread. I don't usually care how many answers it's got, even if it's got 10 pages I jump in anyway

Everyone please carry on answering, it's interesting to see what makes ppl read a thread and what puts them off.
Hey.. what you disdain, another may favor! My point being that everyone here has an opinion on what they like or don't like and it may not coincide with yours. In addition, some people come here for hearty serious discussions and others to laugh and relax. Some do both. Different reasons, different preferences.

I also try to follow a thread if I post but not always. So many times I find things move down quickly and I forget all the places I was following. Or frankly I don't have time to do it and new threads pop up ever few minutes some days!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 09-21-2001).]
Old 09-21-2001, 10:19 PM   #23
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
I read tea leaves, flip coins, and interpret chicken entrails to decide which threads to look at. In this instance, it was a coin flip that came up heads.
YOU TOO!!!

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 09-21-2001, 10:22 PM   #24
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Well, as a mod, I have to try to keep up with all of them, actually. Unfortunately, some of them slip past me, due to time constraints...but with all the other mods, I know we'll cover most of the basis...and if I do miss something important, it will be called to my attention.

Also, Vaskez, just because you don't find a post meaningful doesn't mean that someone else doesn't as well. We have a very wide variety of people here at IW, and what appeals to someone may not appeal to everyone. I personally didn't care much for the BUNNY!!! thread (sorry, Rikard!) but I respected the rights other people had here to have "fun". There are also serious threads I don't particularly care for, but I know others do, so I just go on to something else.

There has been a talk about making a forum for serious discussions only here. If you are looking for very serious topics, you may want to try the "Polls" forum as well, since that's the way most of those are going right now. Also, keep posting to those threads that you like! A lot of times, they may fall to the bottom quickly and others may not notice them. Quite a few of our members never read past page 1 because there's so much there.

Cheers,

------------------

I know who you are...I saw what you did!
Old 09-21-2001, 11:04 PM   #25
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Hey.. what you disdain, another may favor! My point being that everyone here has an opinion on what they like or don't like and it may not coincide with yours.
Aha! I knew someone would jump on me for saying that! At first I was gonna argue that by pointless threads I meant the ones that "most people" find pointless but then I realised I'd be shooting myself in the foot seeing as I just remarked that those seem to get a lot of attention. Bah! I hate this forum, you can never make any controversial statements and get away with it! Bah! And yes Saz, I see you jumping on my back for the same reason. Bah! Bah! Bah!

[This message has been edited by Vaskez (edited 09-21-2001).]
Old 09-21-2001, 11:06 PM   #26
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Aha! I knew someone would jump on me for saying that! At first I was gonna argue that by pointless threads I meant the ones that "most people" find pointless but then I realised I'd be shooting myself in the foot seeing as I just remarked that those seem to get a lot of attenion. Bah! I hate this forum, you can never make any controversial statements and get away with it! Bah! And yes Saz, I see you jumping on my back for the same reason. Bah! Bah! Bah!
Awww.. come on, we hug alot!

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
Old 09-21-2001, 11:11 PM   #27
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Aha! I knew someone would jump on me for saying that! At first I was gonna argue that by pointless threads I meant the ones that "most people" find pointless but then I realised I'd be shooting myself in the foot seeing as I just remarked that those seem to get a lot of attention. Bah! I hate this forum, you can never make any controversial statements and get away with it! Bah! And yes Saz, I see you jumping on my back for the same reason. Bah! Bah! Bah!

[This message has been edited by Vaskez (edited 09-21-2001).]

Nah Vazkez, you were just wondering, we were just answering. Don't think you are gettin jumped on

------------------
Old 09-21-2001, 11:11 PM   #28
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Awww.. come on, we hug alot!

Cloudy

[/B]
Cloudy, if you weren't such a nice person I could be angry at you. I could, honest!

Old 09-21-2001, 11:33 PM   #29
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Cloudy, if you weren't such a nice person I could be angry at you. I could, honest!
awww...

------------------

Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
Old 09-21-2001, 11:36 PM   #30
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

I'm just insanely curious. I'll follow threads I've posted on and look at new ones as I have time, but eventually, I get to them all. I may only read the first post or two at first (if it doesn't seem interesting to me). But so I don't miss anything really good or funny that may not pertain to the original topic, I end up reading them all. Some of my "best stuff" is in the midst of another topic and I know others are just as 'bad' about getting off topic for a moment. But that sometimes starts up the best new threads.

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

*Member of the HADB clan. Mage extraordinair.
Occasional subjugate to Gwhanos the Fluffy *
(when G is behaving)
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."