Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
Gundar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi gang -

I just loaded Wiz 8 and the 1.2.4 patch onto my new computer, and now the game freezes up during just about every third combat encounter. Here are my computer specs:

AMD Athlon 3800 processor
1 GB of SDRAM
Soundblaster 4.1 audio card
NVIDIA nForce 6 video card

I've tried re-installing the game about 5 times now and it still freezes up on me. No other game has this problem. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks for the help!
Gundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:23 PM   #2
babar
Manshoon

you have sdram on a athlon 3800?

have you tried running the setup and changing the graphics api?
babar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:35 AM   #3
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

Some standard questions:

1) Have you checked the Common Problems / Reported Issues page?

2) What version of Wiz8 do you have? (either the CDs will have "v1.2.4" printed on them, or you have v1.0).

3) If you have v1.0, have you applied to v1.2.4 patch (also known as the 12_24 patch)?

3a) Checked that patch is applied correctly? (should show "v1.2.4" in top-right corner of main menu)

4) What hardware to you have? CPU / RAM / Video / Sound / keyboard etc

4a) What OS? Is it patched with the latest updates?

5) What settings did you select in the Wiz8 set up? (would be helpful if you could paste a copy of the 3DVIDEO.CFG file located where you installed Wiz8).

6) Have you checked that you've got the latest drivers for your PC, video and sound cards?

7) If you're using DirectX, what version do you have installed? (To determine what version you have, there should be a link to DxDiag located in the C:\Program Files\DirectX\Setup\ directory or located in C:\Windows\System32 for WinXP).

8) Have you tried using both Open-GL and DirectX, do you get the same result with both?

9) Do you get any sort of error message, or any other detail you can provide which might be of help?

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Some you're already answered, but go though the list, it might help lead to the solution.

[img]graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:24 PM   #4
Gundar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the help guys. I've been travelling all week, so this is the first chance I've had to respond.

Babar, I misspoke a bit about my computer settings. Please see below for the true config. Yes, I've run setup a few times and tried all the graphics api's that are listed. Still no luck.

Wolfie, I've provided the best answers I can to your questions below. I'm still having issues with the game, so any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie:
Some standard questions:

1) Have you checked the Common Problems / Reported Issues page?

Answer: Yes, but I could not find this issue listed anywhere. Hence, I thought I would check with the experts here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

2) What version of Wiz8 do you have? (either the CDs will have "v1.2.4" printed on them, or you have v1.0).

Answer: v1.0

3) If you have v1.0, have you applied to v1.2.4 patch (also known as the 12_24 patch)?

Answer: Yes

3a) Checked that patch is applied correctly? (should show "v1.2.4" in top-right corner of main menu)

Answer: Yes

4) What hardware to you have? CPU / RAM / Video / Sound / keyboard etc

AMD Athlon 64, 3400+, 2.41 GHz
1.00 GB RAM
Radeon 9550 w/128-bit DDR Video Card
Soundblaster Live! 24-bit Sound Card
Viewsonic keyboard and mouse
Logitech speakers and subwoofer
Dell 19" flatpanel monitor

4a) What OS? Is it patched with the latest updates?

Answer: Win XP, SP 2. Just updated last weekend

5) What settings did you select in the Wiz8 set up? (would be helpful if you could paste a copy of the 3DVIDEO.CFG file located where you installed Wiz8).

DirectX7
Creative Labs EAX 2 (TM)

6) Have you checked that you've got the latest drivers for your PC, video and sound cards?

Answer: Yes, all were updated last weekend.

7) If you're using DirectX, what version do you have installed? (To determine what version you have, there should be a link to DxDiag located in the C:\Program Files\DirectX\Setup\ directory or located in C:\Windows\System32 for WinXP).

Answer: DirectX 9.0

8) Have you tried using both Open-GL and DirectX, do you get the same result with both?

Answer: Yes, I've tried both and get the same results from both (although the Open-GL seems to crash more often).

9) Do you get any sort of error message, or any other detail you can provide which might be of help?

Answer: No, the screen simply freezes and I have to reboot my machine.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Some you're already answered, but go though the list, it might help lead to the solution.

[img]graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #5
babar
Manshoon

I guess you tried both video cards (Geforce and Radeon) and still got the same results? I am playing Deathsoalker Mod 1.6 now and some times is locks up, but it comes back. Mine is only 1.6 GHz I think (XP2500+) and 768MB of PC2100. Started to notice when I got to Arnika and also happened in the cemetary. Not a big deal as usually I am physically doing something else during the battles.
babar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:35 AM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

One thing you may want to try is compatibility mode with Win 98 and see if that does any good.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
Gundar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Babar, I have tried both video cards and I get the same result.

Nightowl2, I'm not sure what you mean by "compatability mode". I there a setting somewhere I need to change?

Thanks for the support gang!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #8
Sinteuil
The Magister

I've never had a problem running Wiz 8 with XP, but if you want to try running it in compatibility mode with 98 for example, simply right-click on the Wizardry 8.exe icon, select properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and check the appropriate box, which will allow you to select windows 98 or even 95.

This probably won't resolve the issue, but it's worth a try...
Sinteuil is offline   Reply With Quote