Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 01:54 PM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Apparently, Missourians say, "DON'T 'show me' any homosexuals."

ST. LOUIS, Aug. 4 — Missouri voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly approved an amendment to the State Constitution barring gay marriage, becoming the first state to answer what has become a growing question since same-sex marriage became legal in Massachusetts.

With 100 percent of precincts reporting, the amendment had garnered 70.7 percent — or 1,054,235 votes — in unofficial totals.

Voters in at least 9 other states — and perhaps as many as 12 — are expected to consider similar amendments this fall, so advocates on both sides of the debate were intensely watching Missouri's results, anxious about what they might say about voters elsewhere in the weeks ahead.

"What happens in Missouri will be looked at by people across the country," said Seth Kilbourn, the national field director for the Human Rights Campaign, a Washington group that worked against the proposed amendment in Missouri with more than $100,000 for television advertisements, telephone banks and polling.

Vicky Hartzler, a spokeswoman for the Coalition to Protect Marriage in Missouri, which pressed for the amendment with church functions, yard signs and a "marriage chain" of rallies across the state, said she hoped the outcome would send a loud message to the rest of the country: "Here in the heartland we have a heart for families, and this is how deeply we feel about marriage."

The gay marriage question drew a heavy turnout on Tuesday to an election that also produced a surprising result in the race for governor. Late Tuesday night, Gov. Bob Holden conceded defeat to Claire McCaskill, the state auditor, in the Democratic primary. It was the first time a sitting governor lost a primary in the last decade. Ms. McCaskill will face Matt Blunt, the secretary of state, who won the Republican primary.

In Missouri, as in more than 30 other states, a state statute already defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman. But Ms. Hartzler and others said they feared that a state provision might not be enough for a court somewhere, given the decision last November by Massachusetts' highest court that gay marriage was not prohibited under that state's Constitution.

"This wasn't a battle we sought out," Ms. Hartzler said. "It was brought on us in Missouri by what happened there."

If the fight began elsewhere, it has also sometimes been waged with the help of groups from other parts of the country. Opponents of the Missouri measure spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, while supporters said they spent far less.

Many voters on both sides said Tuesday that they expected the ban to be approved. Missouri has often been described as a reflection of the entire country because of its blend of Southern and Northern, of tiny farming towns and large cities like Kansas City and St. Louis. Much of the state is socially traditional and old-fashioned, said Matthew Byer, 37, as he left his polling place in Ladue, a wealthy western suburb of St. Louis.

"Myself, I don't think it's right," Mr. Byer said of the amendment. "It is embarrassing to me that I think this is going to pass because of fears and because of concerns about what same-sex marriage would mean to married people. It doesn't affect them in any way, shape or form."

In some polling places, there was confusion. In Woodson Terrace, a northwest suburb of St. Louis, Norma Gladman, 76, said she opposed same-sex marriage but was not sure quite what to think of changing the state's Constitution.

"Isn't there already a ban?" Ms. Gladman asked her friends as they walked into the polling place.

A few people said they felt rattled by the wording of the amendment: "Shall the Missouri Constitution be amended so that to be valid and recognized in this state, a marriage shall exist only between a man and a woman?" Some paused and worried aloud as they left the polling place whether their "yes" or "no" vote had accurately reflected their intent.

Others, on each side, were certain.

In Ladue, Lindsay Goldford, a 20-year-old college student, said her Christian background and beliefs were the basis of her support for an amendment. "When you look at marriage, it's between a man and a woman," Ms. Goldford said. "Biblically, homosexuality isn't in the plan."

And outside a polling place also in Ladue, two longtime friends learned on Tuesday that they did not agree.

Mary Klostermeier, 77, said she saw the need to bar gay marriage. "I guess I'm in the old school," Ms. Klostermeier said. "I'm just a very religious person."

But her friend Gene Gabianelli, 72, said he had voted against a ban. "People should do what they want to do," Mr. Gabianelli said. "This whole thing is all about politics as far as I can tell — all about mobilizing people for George Bush."

In fact, local political leaders here had fought over the timing of amendment. Some Republicans had pressed to hold the vote in November, during the general election. Democrats, who had more competitive primary races on Tuesday, pushed to hold it now.

"The political calculus that has been made by the Bush people is that more people will turn out from the far right conservative base with this issue on the ballot," Mr. Kilbourn said. "This is all about the politics of distraction. It distracts from the economy, the job losses, the issues people care about."

Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, said the wave of amendments around the country had come because "the American people want to protect the institution of marriage. That's what's driving this whole thing."

Indeed, Mr. Perkins said, he believed the amendments would pass in every state where they are weighed this fall.

Louisiana plans a vote on a marriage amendment on Sept. 18. In November, people in Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Montana, Oklahoma, Oregon and Utah are expected to consider similar measures. Ballot initiatives are awaiting approval in Michigan, North Dakota and Ohio. Four states — Alaska, Hawaii, Nebraska and Nevada — already passed constitutional amendments banning gay marriage before the Massachusetts ruling.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:39 PM   #2
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

It drives me crazy to think people would rather spend money debating this issue than actually helping the country with real issues like healthcare, employment, homeless issues. Caniglia (sp)? married his horse and nobody is jumping up and down about that. Why people want to tell people who they love and who they can't is beyond me. It's obvious, with the divorce rate in our country, marriage is not so special of an institution anyway. Nobody is affected by my marriage why should I be affected by theirs. Homosexuals do not feel or think any different than the rest of the masses, they are as diverse a group as our country is, and we are all better because of the diverse nature of our country. They fall in and out of love just like anyone else. They feel the pain of a break up just like anyone else. They should be able to marry like any adult couple. People are people and should be treated as just that. People. I don't see gay couples trying to ban heterosexual marriage. This isn't a biblical issue either, there are far more non-christians in the world than christians. Sorry can't talk about that, it makes me crazy anyway.
This Vicky Hartzler says she has a "heart for families" where does she think homoseuals come from, or does she just not have room in her heart for people who don't think like her?
Old 08-04-2004, 03:25 PM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I wonder why people are dragging their heels like that. From a detached perspective, it is obvious, to me at least, that gay couples *will* be entitled to the same benefits and status as straight couples. Eventually. And granted, it'll just be on paper at first. But it will happen.

I found that a professor of mine summed it up best... She said that people cling to things they know they are going to lose. This is why the British fought the industrial revolution to save the environment they previously cared little for, and why people now are telling us that marriage is a sacred sacred thing, and meant for only a man and a woman.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:29 PM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

Is this thread gonna be another 10+ pages of circular discussion on the nature of marriage?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:41 PM   #5
DBear
Drow Warrior

Why does this surprise anyone? Missouri is a conservative state, and I can't see why the Democrats are wasting time there. Missouri is a lock for Bush.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:51 PM   #6
Jonas Strider
Manshoon

Hope that vote comes to Washington state. Eventhough I'm straight, I'm voting for equal rights not discrimination. Like John Kerry said in his convention speech, people should not ask about family values but rather value families. Any married family who value families should be given an equal chance and recognition.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:10 PM   #7
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonas Strider:
Like John Kerry said in his convention speech, people should not ask about family values but rather value families. Any married family who value families should be given an equal chance and recognition.
That's just empty rhetoric though. The bottom line is, some people's idea of valuing families rests upon an abhorrance of homosexuality. The very idea of allowing gay people to legally marry is a slight upon the way they have been religiously and socially indoctrinated.

Personally I have no qualm with civil unions or marriages between gay couples. Society isn't going to crumble, there won't be riots in the streets, fire and brimstone isn't going to rain from the sky. But unfortunately for gay couples, many, many people disagree.

To be honest, I think that most of the gay couples I've met would make better parents than many of the heterosexuals I know. Because they are marginalised for their sexuality, and face ostracism and persecution because of their love for each other, these couples have to really hold true to their love in order to weather the storm of condemnation from *cough* small-minded idiots *cough*. These sorts of relationships, between people who stick together through thick and thin despite outside hostility, who support each other and find comfort in their love, these are the sorts of relationships that will make happy, safe, loving households. People who take it upon themselves to try to prevent and/or destroy this love on the other hand...well, let's just say I don't think they should be raising children... But that's just me, maybe I'm going to hell in a handbasket
Old 08-05-2004, 01:21 AM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

Some well-thought-out opinions here (by which I mean they agree with mine ).

I have no problem with gay marriage. Canada has moved in that direction (with BC helping to lead the way), and that's fine with me. I know a gay couple (who had a civil marriage ceremony) who are great parents. They adopted two brothers who had gone through half a dozen foster parents in two years, and were going to be split up. They've had the boys for over three years now, and provided them with the family stability that the boys never had. The boys are now well-behaved and infinitely happier.

Although I'm skirting the dreaded and banished religious discussion territory, I should point out that all four people in this family are members of my church.

I get the feeling that this whole issue will blow over in a decade or two. I see a lot of the same arguments that were raised re: divorce, and divorce is well-established and practically an industry in and of itself.

Bottom line is that the idea of gay marriage represents a change in social attitudes that some people are not comfortable with. It's not surprising that an ancient prejudice and the current symbol of Other are combining to prove a formidable obstacle to gay marriage.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:19 AM   #9
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

For me this issue isn't about religious belief or condoning someones lifestyle.To me it boils down to equal rights for individuals under the law.Kinda like the way the jim crow laws were struck down with the idea that "seperate but equal is inherently unequal".Whether or not the church recognizes these unions should not (IMHO) effect them being recognized by the goverment.As tax paying united states citizens I believe they should be afforded any and all privileges and rights afforded to all other citizens.It seems completely ridiculous to me that in 24 of these here united states it's completely legal to marry your first cousin, yet in these same states it's illegal to marry someone of the same sex because it offends the delicate sensibilities of those governing those said states.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook
Old 08-05-2004, 02:41 AM   #10
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Stratos: I hope not.

Aaron: Despite what little I know about you, I think I can safely say yes, you *are* going to hell in a handbasket. See ya there! Regarding your observations on queer and hetero families... Although it's a generalization, I am going to have to agree with it. Though I suppose as the decades pass, we'll see more nice, dysfunctional gay couples. I've even heard of lawyers getting ready to specialize in gay divorces. That makes me slightly ill, but I suppose it can't be helped.
And the fire and brimstone, society-will-fall-apart arguments just plain amuse me. Other countries have already taken the plunge and they're doing fine. Ah well...

I'm also impressed with pretty much every other post here. Not just because I'm in agreement, but because some very good points were made.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Closed Thread