Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2002, 09:26 AM   #1
Epona
Zartan

We've had quite a lot about Stephen King here lately, and was wondering what other horror genre writers people enjoyed reading, and why?

I tend to like British horror writers a lot - especially check out Christopher Fowler - he writes some really quirky stuff set in London (his home city). I especially recommend Psychoville, Disturbia and Soho Black, but a lot of his earlier work is also excellent. He is interested particularly in the 'dark underbelly' of London life, both of this world and the supernatural.

Stephen Laws - seems to be mostly out of print now for some reason, hopefully will be reprinted since he writes some good stuff - Chasm was excellent (one of his best), and Somewhere South of Midnight.

Mike Jeffries - again, out of print for the most part - he bases a lot of his stories in Norwich and East Anglia (England). Spooky stuff and worth a look.

James Herbert - quite frankly overrated IMHO. The Fog was one of the worst books I ever read. Some of his more recent work is better though, such as Moon, Magic Cottage, Portent. His latest (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head) was just an excuse for lots of shagging.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Epona ]</p>
Old 01-24-2002, 09:52 AM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

I really like Poppy Z. Brite. An American author who has a very dark, gothic way of writing. Most of her books are set in New Orleans, where she's from, and that's a great background for her stories about serial killers and stuff, with that hot, moist, voodoo-atmosphere.
Although I must say that she overdoes the homo-erotic thing a bit: practically all her main characters are gay men. But in the end that's not too much of a problem. I can recommend Exquisite Corpse (I believe that's the title in English, read that one in Dutch: Begeerlijk Kadaver), and her first book (sorry, can't remember this one's title at all).
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 04:40 PM   #3
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

My wife and I are not big fans of horror fiction, but one author/series we do like is Laurell K. Hamilton's 'Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter' series. Basically, she theorises a U.S. where the Supreme Court has recognised that the undead have rights, too. There are some pretty steamy erotic passages but, unlike Herbert's latest mentioned above, her books are not just an excuse for lots of shagging
Old 01-25-2002, 06:39 PM   #4
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

I like the the stories of H.P. Lovecraft, especially those dealing with the chtulu mythos (yes, I also enjoyed the PnP-RPG). The broad populace doesn't know about the dark gods and myths, only a selected few are aware that there are other beings than man. And man often stands on the loosing side or at least never manages more than a draw in the fights against evil.
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 05:15 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Chris, I agree! I love Lovecraft... his stories have got to be the scariest stuff I've ever read
Living not far away from the sea, I really liked Dagon. My boyfriend read it to me one night and I was SCARED! Read three volumes of his collected stories myself so far, and had a few of them read to me.

One of the most special stories I've read by Lovecraft is the Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath - I really recommend it.
Old 01-26-2002, 01:59 PM   #6
Erydian
Manshoon

I'm not all that much into the horror genre, but occasionally I find myself reading a good "scary" story. Here are a couple authors whose books I enjoy and regularly read:

Clive Barker - I love Barker's tendency to focus on surrealistic/supernatural horror. For a fantasy freak like me, his books are usually scary enough to be considered a part of the horror genre, but are imaginative enough for my tastes. [img]smile.gif[/img] Try Imajica, or Galilee.

Peter Straub/Stephen King - Now I occasionally read books written by either of these authors, but I have really come to enjoy the books that they've written together (The Talisman, Black House). For awhile, the Talisman was one of the best horror books I'd ever read. It had a sense of adventure, as well as an almost reminiscent feel, but it was still capable of spooking me.

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: Erydian ]</p>
Old 01-28-2002, 10:43 AM   #7
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well Lovecraft is a favourite, Neil Gailman, Clive Barker, and er.. what the heck is his name.. :S
ARRRRGH! I can´t remember his name.. But it is a writer who writes about a sort of vampires in a big serie called "necro somethin" and has also written some Chtulu material too.. Among the famous characters Titius Crowe is his making.. Bugger my blasted memory for names... OKI, I gonna find a pillow and smack someone.. :S

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 11:05 AM   #8
Epona
Zartan

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Well Lovecraft is a favourite, Neil Gailman, Clive Barker, and er.. what the heck is his name.. :S
ARRRRGH! I can´t remember his name.. But it is a writer who writes about a sort of vampires in a big serie called "necro somethin" and has also written some Chtulu material too.. Among the famous characters Titius Crowe is his making.. Bugger my blasted memory for names... OKI, I gonna find a pillow and smack someone.. :S
<hr></blockquote>

Oh no, I know who you mean!
OK, I checked it just now at Amazon, it was Brian Lumley, he wrote the Vampire World series and the Necroscope series.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:33 AM   #9
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Epona:

Oh no, I know who you mean!
OK, I checked it just now at Amazon, it was Brian Lumley, he wrote the Vampire World series and the Necroscope series.
<hr></blockquote>

*HUGS*
Thanks! Thats the one!
Grr, I hate when I forget names.. :S
But he has alot of good ones!

Before I started to read alot of english books I read alot of Stephen King and Dean R Koontz, and quite frankly I liked Dean R Koontz better. Phantoms for instance was really great..

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 11:24 AM   #10
Epona
Zartan

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by WOLFGIR:

*HUGS*
Thanks! Thats the one!
Grr, I hate when I forget names.. :S
But he has alot of good ones!

Before I started to read alot of english books I read alot of Stephen King and Dean R Koontz, and quite frankly I liked Dean R Koontz better. Phantoms for instance was really great..
<hr></blockquote>

You're welcome! I'm not *too* bad at remembering names, but my mind works by association - so I find authors and actors pretty easy since if I remember the book or film I can remember the actor - it's work colleagues and people in the pub that I have trouble with remembering - I am always groping for a name, and introductions are always a nightmare for me!

I haven't read any Koontz, again one of my silly quirks is to choose new authors by whether the book cover is attractive, and I don't like the current design of his! But if phantoms is worth a go, I will try it on your recommendation