Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2002, 10:17 PM   #21
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

A recent poll at CNN (for what THAT's worth ) indicated that about 60 percent of Americans plan to stay home for Thanksgiving this year. Granted, it's not very scientific, but seems like a lot of people are getting fed up with the rush and bustle and the tied-up traffic and transportation systems, especially on the holidays. I went to Louisiana last weekend to celebrate an early Thanksgiving with my mom since there was no way I was going to travel during the holiday rush. Would you believe that even then, it took me two hours to get from Denton to Mesquite, which is 50 miles away?? That's how bad the Dallas traffic is with all the construction. I swear, Dallas is like this huge diseased heart with all of its arteries clogged up to where hardly anything can get through. Pfeh! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

So, that's one reason I plan to "hole in" this Turkey day. That and I really do just enjoy being home. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-27-2002, 10:18 PM   #22
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffi0:
I made a gingernread house once. Althouh "completely and utterly mauled" might be a better verb (or bunch of verbs). It was a terrible mess... The icing got everywhere and wouldn't stick to the gingerbread, just to the table and my clothes. At least we got to eat the thing...
Hey, at least you tried! I've never tried making a gingerbread house myself. Sounds like it would be very difficult.

I know the feeling you're talking about. Similar thing happened when I tried to do a "taffy pull" last year. The taffy never got stiff and it got over everything. What a mess! LOL but it tasted good.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-27-2002, 10:23 PM   #23
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

HAHAHA! I make enough stuff so we don't do much cooking for the whole 4 days! I'm going shopping on Friday with my best friend so Jim's stuck minding the cats and watching football. We're gonna watch the Muppet Christmas movie in the evening on Friday.

Here's the carrot recipe:

Glazed Carrots
1 tsp margarine
1 cup slivered carrots, blanched
1 tsp granulated brown sugar
1/8 tsp powdered mustard
dash of hot sauce, dash salt

In small skillet, heat margarine until bubbly and hot. Add remaining ingredients and saute, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.

This makes two small servings so I usually double it. [img]graemlins/ladyhearts.gif[/img]

[ 11-27-2002, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 11-27-2002, 10:37 PM   #24
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffi0:
I made a gingernread house once. Althouh "completely and utterly mauled" might be a better verb (or bunch of verbs). It was a terrible mess... The icing got everywhere and wouldn't stick to the gingerbread, just to the table and my clothes. At least we got to eat the thing...
I've never made a gingerbread house either! Ack I'd want to eat the walls I was constructing LOL! Oh and "snowy" walls (icing) LOL!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-27-2002, 10:42 PM   #25
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Question Mark

Not particularly spectacular on the sides, LadyZ.

Potato Salad (don't know why we do that at Thanksgiving, but there it is ) for my Dad
Mashed taters with giblet gravy for me and Mom
English peas

for dessert:

Pumpking Pie (made with honey instead of sugar)
Apple Pie (made with a scrumptious blend of apples bought fresh in Ellijay and cooked down - 2/3 Arkansas Black, 1/3 Winesap, cooked down with fresh apple cider, spices and - again - honey)

There! [img]tongue.gif[/img] *hands Wendy a bib for the drool*

[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:48 PM   #26
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Not particularly spectacular on the sides, LadyZ.

Potato Salad (don't know why we do that at Thanksgiving, but there it is ) for my Dad
Mashed taters with giblet gravy for me and Mom
English peas

for dessert:

Pumpking Pie (made with honey instead of sugar)
Apple Pie (made with a scrumptious blend of apples bought fresh in Ellijay and cooked down - 2/3 Arkansas Black, 1/3 Winesap, cooked down with fresh apple cider, spices and - again - honey)

There! [img]tongue.gif[/img] *hands Wendy a bib for the drool*

Honey pumpkin pie!? Oh I hate you! That sounds so totally delicious!!!!!

!!!!!!

!!!!!

(yes, I'm drooling LOL) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-27-2002, 10:57 PM   #27
Rokenn
Galvatron

I've been cooking all week, having my parents and a few friends over. Tomorrow I get started at 6am to finish everything up! I think next year I'm going to pick a less ambitious menu.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:11 PM   #28
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Honey pumpkin pie!? Oh I hate you! That sounds so totally delicious!!!!!

!!!!!!

!!!!!

(yes, I'm drooling LOL) [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QB]
LOL! Well, all you do is add about 1/4 cup less honey than sugar.

But if you want, mail me your street addy and I'll ship you some - and some apple, too, if you'd like.
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:12 PM   #29
Ladyzekke

LOL, Rokken you are going for the full fledge Thanksgiving!! Oh man, I feel for you. I did it ONCE, and only once LOL. I had recipes coming outta my arse and the 9 foot long table was completely covered. Was way too much for only 8 people, and one guy got severe heartburn from eating too many devilled eggs LOL.

I wish you luck Rokken, it's a hard row too hoe, but worth it just for the fame, just for ONE time (you'll understand soon enough re that)

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-27-2002, 11:30 PM   #30
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
LOL, Rokken you are going for the full fledge Thanksgiving!! Oh man, I feel for you. I did it ONCE, and only once LOL. I had recipes coming outta my arse and the 9 foot long table was completely covered. Was way too much for only 8 people, and one guy got severe heartburn from eating too many devilled eggs LOL.

I wish you luck Rokken, it's a hard row too hoe, but worth it just for the fame, just for ONE time (you'll understand soon enough re that)
Actually the only traditional dishes are the turkey, gravy, and from scratch pumpkin pies. Other then that I've made Cranberry-ginger relish, curried nuts and raisins, Jerusalem artichoke gratin, and sherried shrimp bisque. Tomorrow is going to be hell, lol.