Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 04-28-2003, 06:42 AM   #1
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

I have yet to come across any in SoA, but seem to recall from other games that Arrows of Ice offer the target no saving throws, the target is only protected if they have "protection from missles" cast or some other modifier (girdle of piercing, boots of avoidance, etc.). Is this correct?

Also, any thoughts/opinions on the best missles? I usually get as many fire, acid and biting arrows as i can buy, steal or loot. It's always amusing, for me, to watch a hostile mage's spell casting interrupted buy a poison induced hiccup or belch. Then again, I tend to be somewhat sadistic.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:18 AM   #2
ShadowChild
Manshoon

I tend to use Arrows of Piercing or Poison Arrows - like you said Poison Arrows are great for stopping spell casters. Arrows of Detonation in BG1 were good! EVERYBODY EVACUATE!!!!
Never violate a woman nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.<br /><br /><i>Druss The Legend</i>
ShadowChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:27 AM   #3
Radek
Red Dragon

As far as missiles in SoA are concerned, keep in mind that the best missiles in the game are only "+2 weapon" and that it's the missile that decides what you can hit. But - whether you succeed with a magic attack of a missile (fire, poison, etc.) is determined by the corresponding resistance of your target, not by the "rank" of the missile.
In the other words, there are many monsters in the game - those that need "+3" and better weapon - that cannot be physically hit by ANY missile from SoA but, if the monster is vulnerable to fire, poison, etc., then it can still be hit by the magic attack of the missile. Therefore, you are right with collecting fire, poison, etc. arrows, even if they are only "+1".
Also, there are two bows in SoA that fire "phantom" missiles if they are used without ammo. The "phantom" missiles have higher rank than the "real" missiles so that they can physically hit more monsters. Namely:
1. Tansheron Bow. The "phantom" missiles are concerned "+3" weapon. The bow can be gained pretty early in the game.
2. Gesen Bow. The "phantom" missiles are concerned "+4" weapon. The bow must be forged by Cromwell. You will have both needed parts in Chapter 6, i.e., pretty late in the game.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:00 AM   #4
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

Thanks for the input, Shadowchild & Radek.

The two bows mentioned by Radek, then, are superior to standard or enchanted weapons firing the specialized ammunition? I ask this because:

Spoiler

In d'Arnisse Keep, when retrieving the last Flail of Ages head from the Golem room, Minsc, with Lilacor, seems to be the only one of my party able to do any damage. I know the Iron Golem (as well as others) has magic resistance and standard weapon immunity, but I can't help but wonder if i missed some weapon that would make the fight easier (I just give Minsc all the potions and have Jaheira loaded up on healing spells and let the poor sod whack away).

I have tried quick snatches of the flail head, but never seem to get my timing right, causing Yoshimo or Nalia to experience rather messy deaths.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:17 AM   #5
Radek
Red Dragon

Yes, they are superior because they are "at least +3", that means, they can hit almost any monster in SoA (exceptions: Great Mummies and Kangaxx need "+4"). For example, they can hit Iron and Adamantine Golems, Glabrezus, etc. Moreover, the bows have an unlimited supply of the phantom arrows so that you cannot run out of ammo while firing phantom arrows.
With the Tansheron Bow, Adamantine Golems are simple Let them hang in a door, catch the bow and fire phantom arrows. Well, Adamantine Golems are highly resistant to weapons but they aren't immune, therefore, it will take a while until they fall but they fall in the end without getting any possibility to harm you. You will score 2 - 6 HP per hit.
An additional note. If you have the "bonus merchants" installed then you can buy the best phantom missiles firing weapon: the Sling of Everard. It fires phantom bullets considered a "+5" weapon. The sling costs bags of money but it is worth it. It is the best ranged weapon for your priest [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2003, 08:57 AM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

the warhammer vs giantkin is effective against them found in the area (it will also hit EVERY type of golem)
Old 04-28-2003, 08:58 AM   #7
Malthaussen
Manshoon

I usually don't even try to fight those golems. Yeah, they're worth a few EP, but since I generally do the Keep pretty early in the game the golems are more trouble than they're worth.

SPOILER
From the text of your message, it appears you may not be familiar with the trick of having your priest cast "sanctuary" and then get the goodies from the Golem room (or, in the Hulk room, to bypass the hulks and drop off their food). It's a useful way to complete at least three tasks during SoA. So long as your sanctuaried priest doesn't attack anyone (turn off the AI), she can go anywhere and do anything without provoking a response (except for the programmed responses hard-wired into the game to advance the plot).

-- Mal
Old 04-28-2003, 09:01 AM   #8
ShadowChild
Manshoon

Light Bulb

Don't mind Golems - except those big Adamantine(??) ones, i usually have to find a door way they can't get thru and then hurl Azuredge at them. It only causes 1 or 2 damage (more on critical) but it stops them from squishing me!

[EDIT]

Ah sorry Azuredge won't be available that early on....will it?

[ 04-28-2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: ShadowChild ]
Never violate a woman nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.<br /><br /><i>Druss The Legend</i>
ShadowChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:08 AM   #9
Malthaussen
Manshoon

Yeah, I think the designers blew it when they made the A. golems so big. I've never run into one yet that I couldn't trap on the wrong side of a door and nibble to death with ducks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-- Mal
Old 04-28-2003, 09:19 AM   #10
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowChild:
[EDIT]

Ah sorry Azuredge won't be available that early on....will it?
It is, as you can get it right after you've done the Slaver-quest.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote