Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-03-2004, 04:53 PM   #11
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Wiat a minute. I cannot find qttask.exe anymore on my system. Apparently, when I upgraded my "hijack this" to its newer version, and deleted the .exe from there like I had been doing for over a year...this time it actually stayed gone! I ran QT with no annoying pop-up icon in the tray, and it is no longer in the start-up either. "Hijack this" took care of it for me this time. Woot!
And it should since Quicktime player is as much spyware as coolwebsearch is! Stay away from Quicktime! If you must have .mov support try Quicktime Alternative. You can still play quicktime movies in a player of your choice but you won't have to install quicktime player. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2004, 05:33 PM   #12
Animal
Gold Dragon

You can use services.msc or msconfig to disable ill mannered programs that insist on starting up with Windows. Running amok through your system folder deleting files is never a good idea.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:52 PM   #13
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Animal, actually my qttask.exe file was in the Quicktime folder or a sub folder, but I agree with you on the idea that randomly deleting files is never a good idea(which is why I never considered that to be the answer). The problem with Quicktime, which returns us to my original complaint, is that it adds itself back to the startup list after every use and there is no apparent way to disable it from doing so... short of deleting this file.

[ 08-03-2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 08-03-2004, 05:58 PM   #14
Animal
Gold Dragon

I've never encountered that problem!

I think there is a setting somewhere within QuickTime that prevents the loading on startup, and then a quick foray into msconfig usually fixes it.

Granted, I don't use it that much, but when I do it never restarts qttask.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:24 PM   #15
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Now there is an option to disable the QuickTime startup icon, which I tried. I thought that solved the problem, but it just removes the icon hiding the presence of the program; the entry itself was still in the startup list the next time I checked msconfig(or was it regcleaner) for something else.

It's a tricky rascal.

I wonder if Spybot 1.3's teatimer system protector(or whatever its called) would catch and block this entry from adding itself back to the registry? I'll have to try that and see.

Fortunately, I don't use it much either, but it's one of those things that bugs the crap out of you until you figure it out. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2004, 10:30 PM   #16
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Thanks for the link WillowIX, I shall give it a try. I really hate QT player and the bloody interface sucks.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:51 AM   #17
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Just to bump it up for the update:

The alternative QT solution works like a charm. It seems to work quite well with most sites and no more annoying Apple crap. I did notice a slight drop in the image quality but it is something that I could live with.

As a bonus, I downloaded and installed the altenative real player support as well. It works quite well too.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:41 PM   #18
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin2000:
Just to bump it up for the update:

The alternative QT solution works like a charm. It seems to work quite well with most sites and no more annoying Apple crap. I did notice a slight drop in the image quality but it is something that I could live with.

As a bonus, I downloaded and installed the altenative real player support as well. It works quite well too.
Glad it worked for you too. I love it since I get qt support but I don't have to touch quicktime at all. FOrgot to mention real alternative but that one's great as well. Let's face it, Real player is very much like spyware as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2004, 02:58 PM   #19
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

The thing bothers me the most about RealPlayer is that the volume control in RealPlayer is directly linked to the volume control* in windows. Everytime I changed the volume in RealPlayer, I have to set the volume "back to normal" in Windows. I thought RealOne Player has already removed that annoying "feature" but some people just couldn't get a hint.

Note:
* Either wave volume control or the Master Volume Control, I can't remember which.

Anyway, thanks again for the link WillowIX. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-05-2004, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]