Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 03:29 PM   #1
Manwe
Manshoon

So... I just got this Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.
I've really wanted to try it out, and now I finally have it. Anyone been playing it, what did you think of it? I really need some help what type of character I want to be, it's a bit confusing... And there are so many choices!... I kind of laughed out loud when reading about the "Beaten with a club"(or something similar) trait. It seems to be a rather enjoyable game.
Manwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:59 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

This is one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and the only RPG I've played that allows you to be truly evil and roleplay it. So, in short, the game rules!
The choices in the game are unbelievably balanced, however some may claim otherwise. So you can be Kevin Kline's character from Wild Wild West, walking around with a hundred or so gadgets, ready for anything. You may be Conan, walking around with a single blade which you oh so dilligently clean and polish. A wizard that seeks true unending power as a god, or a thief that just always wants one more gold piece. This game IMHO offers more options than Morrowind I dare say!
If you have any questions, you've come to the right place to ask, friend!
Old 11-28-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
Lucern
Quintesson

The game is quite cool. I'm thinking of getting back into it. I made a character who was quite unique, and yes, quite useless. My charm just couldn't get me out of random encounters with too many wolves hehe.

My only qualms with it are graphical in nature, but it more than makes up for in in character design, expansive world, and interesting NPCs. It's evident that they put a lot of thought into it, and it's far too interesting to really care about the drab ground and undefined character graphics.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:11 AM   #4
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Great game, one of my favorites! Just this weekend I reinstalled it for a new playthrough. My current character is a Dwarven "techno-warrior", focusing on combat skills and the smithy doctrine. Kindof an obvious choice, but a character I have personally never tried before. And, as a coincidence, I choose the "beaten with an ugly stick" background for him (I think you meant that one).

As for help with your character, I dunno, that's for you to decide really, so many possibilities. I can only advise you to plan ahead, it's easy to really botch things up.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:12 AM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

It's a good game, but I wouldn't say it's the best I've played.

There's IS alot to do in the game, though.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:21 AM   #6
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
This is one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and the only RPG I've played that allows you to be truly evil and roleplay it.
Also, the only RPG that allows you to be really stupid and roleplay it. In other games, even with a character with really low intelligence, you get the normal, well-spoken dialog options, but in Arcanum your mentally challenged character will say things like "Uhh, gaaahh... funny guy say big words" when asked a tough question.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:29 AM   #7
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

"Follow me idiot... er.. I mean, your holiness!"
It's also funny when you try to board a train. The various NPCs also take pity on you for being stupid, or they start hating you. The amount of details in this game is just staggering!