Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 05:54 AM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Then you need Oldblivion

Its a program that applies a series of patches to use older shader models that older hardware can use

With a few other bits an pieces.

Enjoy!
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I saw the original mod but this program is nice. This is a great way to get the game working if you have like, an FX 5900. Tell me, would this work if I ran it on my 6800 or would it just not make any changes? I wonder would it offer a performance boost too for the newer cards, running with the older shaders...Anyone know?

Call me insane, but I actually prefer the old shaders. It gives that old-school, sketchy look to a new game, reminding me of Morrowind. I am all for good graphics but actually prefer this kind of "penciled" look to the sharper, crisp images we see in new games today. I imagine I am alone in this one, it puzzles me sometimes too why I feel this way
Old 04-25-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

It would run a hell of a lot better on any supported hardware(all cards that support the game now will surely support older shader models) though it will look crappier
Old 04-25-2006, 07:31 AM   #4
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Call me insane, but I actually prefer the old shaders. It gives that old-school, sketchy look to a new game, reminding me of Morrowind. I am all for good graphics but actually prefer this kind of "penciled" look to the sharper, crisp images we see in new games today. I imagine I am alone in this one, it puzzles me sometimes too why I feel this way
You're not alone on that one. As amazing as the graphics are in Oblivion (the best i've seen in a game) something has definitely been lost in the transition from Morrowind. I'm still trying to put my finger on it though.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
quote:
You're not alone on that one. As amazing as the graphics are in Oblivion (the best i've seen in a game) something has definitely been lost in the transition from Morrowind. I'm still trying to put my finger on it though. [/QUOTE]I also agree, and it's not just with Oblivion that I see it, many new games these days all suffer from the same problem
Old 04-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Wow so it isn't just me then.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:11 AM   #7
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Quote:
No it's not just you. I started noticing a glimmer on everything in the game that was never there before in any other games. Yes the newer Highend graphics are amazing but I don't really think its the new Hardware I think it may be the art work itself. The game companies may use new hardware and software to build their games the problem I think is they forgot to up grade the artwork and the way they use colors and the reflection and refraction factors of lights and colors.
Even though the graphics are more High rez the need to spend more time in the way they try to make things look more real they at the same time need to take some of the shine out of the trees and grass and everything the game seems to sparkel too much.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:32 AM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
quote:
No it's not just you. I started noticing a glimmer on everything in the game that was never there before in any other games. Yes the newer Highend graphics are amazing but I don't really think its the new Hardware I think it may be the art work itself. The game companies may use new hardware and software to build their games the problem I think is they forgot to up grade the artwork and the way they use colors and the reflection and refraction factors of lights and colors.
Even though the graphics are more High rez the need to spend more time in the way they try to make things look more real they at the same time need to take some of the shine out of the trees and grass and everything the game seems to sparkel too much.
[/QUOTE]I honestly think you just hit it on the head. I am always drawn to reference WoW with it's low technology but superior artwork. It is a triumph of art over technology. Some people don't like the 'style' of WoW but I am just using this as an example in my experience.

You are right CB, it's like designers don't bother with as much of the actual skecthing that they were forced to previously and instead, leave blank spots to be filled in by digital effects in-game. I personally don't find the faces in Oblivion as realistic as the ones in Morrowind despite all the high-rez stuff going on. The armors and clothing are all done well though.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:02 AM   #9
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Personally, i think the graphics of WoW suck, I mean its nice enough but doesnt compare to any of the newer games. As to Oblivion, I can't see anything wrong with the graphics, they're amazing, but I am playing it on a 360.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

The graphics in WoW are lower tech but IMHO the art is, in many instances nicer than the art in Oblivion. Some of the art on the architecture in Obv is better, but the people and bodies are just bleh. Come to think of it I see Morrowind graphics as nicer than Oblivion too, but like I said, I have always been a fan of sketchy, arty graphics as opposed to the "realistic" CGI stuff.

I am reminded of EQ2, you can throw tons of technology at a game but unless the core art is nice and pleasing to the eyes, the end result will still look ugly.