Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
wanderon
Dungeon Master

1)Thac0 figures on stats page for current weapon.

I am currently playing with several NPC mods as well as a few components of EoU (but not the thaco/spell altering component) SoA+ToB with official patch and balderdash. I have Kitanya (NPC mod) but I opted to pawn her sword and armor and give her stuff from the game to make her less overpowering. She has +++++ in long swords and has Flame tongue which is supposedly always considered +4 for what it can hit and Daystar which is supposedly always considered +2 for what it can hit and Blade of roses which is +3 to hit. Yet when I equip Flametongue her thac0 is base 11 Thac0 7 and when I equip daystar its base 11 thac0 6??? Then if I equip Blade of Roses (+3) its base 11 thaco 5???

I am also using Amber (NPC mod) and she gets the same sort of figures with the +3 sword being best followed by the +2 and finally by the +4...

Can anyone explain whats going on here? (Kitanya is level 10 Wizard slayer) Is the game considering flametongue only a +1 in spite of the description that says its always considered a +4 when it comes to determining what it can hit?

2)Possible City Gate spoilers:
We recently fought the Lich here and Mazzy had no weapons over +2 so I gave her Lilacor (+3) even tho she has no profs in two handed swords and this weapon was also "innefective" - does the Lich require +4 weapons to hit it? (We made rather short work of it anyway mostly due to Kitanyas damage and spell disruption using flametongue - he never got to call on his buddies to help him out)

3)Possible Graveyard spoilers:
When does the preist/orphan show up in the graveyard? Is it only during specific times of day ?- in two recent games I have not found them.

EDIT: One more question - whats the point of the "Rod Of Terror" is it just me or does this seem like a pretty useless item for the Lich to drop. It has limited charges - acts a staff + 3 and its "terror effect" only works if they fail their save with a +4 bonus while it carries a 1 in 5 chance of permanently reducing your charisma each time you activate it???

[ 08-12-2006, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: wanderon ]
Old 08-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

1) The Flametongue is only always +1. In terms of the +4 number, it means that it can hit any creature that can be hit by a +4 or lower enchantment weapon - this number has no effect on the actual to hit number involved. Your THAC0 doesn't change - only what you can hit.

2) I can't remember exactly, but +4 sounds about right.

3) Enter the graveyard district during the day, that usually does it for me.

4) The Rod of Terror really isn't that useful, unless you use the attribute wrap cheese.
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
wanderon
Dungeon Master

Thats odd about Flametongue I don't recall it saying anything about +1 anyplace in the description.

I've tried the graveyard a few times in the day altho it was perhaps early morning or late afternoon - I wondered if they are only there for a few hours during midday perhaps - its difficult to "waste time" in the game with no "wait" option to pass time or to be able to choose exactly how long to rest...
Old 08-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by wanderon:
Thats odd about Flametongue I don't recall it saying anything about +1 anyplace in the description.
You can load the item in IEEP to find the specific information out.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:18 AM   #5
Betelgeuse
Zhentarim Guard

what's ieep?
Old 08-13-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

An item editor.

The Flametounge, orignally was a +1 longsword, in BG I. This carries into BG II. However, since the *damage* acts as +4 when agaisnt trolls, etc, it acts as a +4 when determining what it can hit.

The blade of Roses is a simple +3 longsword. Adds +3 to your damage, and thac0.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

The Lich in the city gates can be hit by +3 weapons. I'm not sure wether weapons of any lower enchancement can hurt him, but I know +3 ones can.

I know this because in my last game Minsc chopped him into pieces with Lilacor.

Perhaps that sword was uneffective for you because of the spell protections the Lich casts?
Old 08-17-2006, 04:57 AM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Hooo boy....

A weapon's enchantment level, strictly speaking, affects nothing apart from what sorts of creatures it can hit. Most of the time, but not always, the enchantment benefits the weapon's chances of striking the enemy, the amount of damage when it does so, and the Speed Factor of the person using it.

Most weapons will have one general enchantment level for all of their magical properties: A generic Longsword+2 grants -2 to THAC0, +2 to Damage, -2 to Speed Factore, and can strike creatures harmed only by +2 or better weapons. Certain unique weapons, however, pretty much do what they want. The Mace of Disruption is a +3 weapon that only provides +1 bonuses to THAC0, damage, and Speed Factor. The Warhammer+1, +4 vs. Giantkin is a +4 weapon that only provides +1 combat bonuses--until you use it against a Giant or Ogre, when those bonuses go up to +4. Etc.

wanderon, the wierdness is caused by the weapons, not the mod NPCs. Give Kitanya and Amber 'generic' enchanted weapons and watch the strangeness go away.

All Liches are immune to Normal weapons, but any enchanted weapon (+1 enchantment or better) will hit them just fine--unless they are under Protection from Magical Weapons, which all Liches are for the first 16 rounds of combat.