Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 11-01-2006, 05:42 PM   #21
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Ringo's first novel from Paladin of Shadows Ghost just came out in paperback, and I must say, as expected, it's a ripping good read. I just devoured the first 200 pages last night in less than two hours. Somehwat tongue-in-cheek, but still a semi-serious treatment of anti-terrorist politics.

He showcases his gun-toting, conservative bent to good effect, poking fun at anti-american liberals (and their stupid ideas about legislation) every chance he gets - anti-american liberals take this as a warning. Considering his humourous treatment, I don't see how even liberals can be much offended.

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but here's some memorable moments:

- "You gotta be sh*tting me" (with reference to a 40,000ft HALO after being ejected from the rotary launcher of a B2 Spirit)

- "You are one lousy negotiator" (just before shooting a terrorist between the eyes)

- "Religion of peace, my ass" (after discussing how Syria fulfilled the requirements for nuclear release)

- "No one ever says `Given that the sky is blue.' They say: `Given that american soldiers eat babies for breakfast'. One is not debateable in everyday rational terms [...] Neither is the second worth every day debate, it is provably wrong - but it is certainly debated among the press, in my experience" (the President, lecturing a female liberal reporter at a press conference)

- "converting" several liberal minded university bimbos to gun-loving conservatives.

- "It is very simple to use - just point, and spray" (just before spraying Osama bin-Laden in the face with his own mustard gas, then severing his head for delivery to the NCA)
Old 11-03-2006, 06:52 AM   #22
bubbe
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by toot033:
Don't waste your time on the latest Eddings series ( the dreamers) its O.K. but not as good as his other books.
Actully I think the dreamers is as good as his other books, BUT i read Eddings books in swedish and everyone keep telling me his books is better in english.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #23
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

While I've only recently started reading the Wheel of Time series, I must agree with this guy's points regarding the Farseer Trilogy. They are by far the best books I've ever read, and the guy sums up their goodness quite well. I can only hope that The Wheel of Time will compare favourably.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:05 PM   #24
Thoran
Galvatron

Robin Hobb is a great author... her series have depth and breadth but none of the dragging that's the hallmark of Jordan these days.

I personally preferred the Liveship series to Farseer. She really goes off in a unique direction with Liveship and it was an engrossing read. Farseer was also excellent but there are a number of authors with novels/series along the same vein.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote