Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 05:39 PM   #11
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Maybe it's just a video game, IG.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:42 PM   #12
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Personally, I'd prefer it if you could only call those party members who you'd met, or at least had heard of. And weren't dead.

And what's up with this "strands of Fate that touch yours" crap? I mean, I let Valygar into my party for the five minutes it took to open the Planar Sphere, and so he's bound to me throughout the fulfillment of my destiny, but I can't call Coran, who spent three months tromping up & down the Sword Coast with me, and is currently just hanging out in some Tethyrian tavern? Pffft.
Such a good point. To get coran in my party, I just set "Obey" sounds to "none" and Ctrl+Q him into my party. He seems like he has a full soundset, I can change his portrait, if need be, in Shadowkeeper, and he's a fairly good thief. But an even better archer. Same with any other BGI NPC I meet that I recently had in my party during my adventures in the Sword Coast. Just like old times

[ 05-22-2006, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Kyrvias ]
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:09 AM   #13
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Greasel:
That "strands of fate that touch yours" stuff sounded just like Planescape: Torment. There it at least made sense. But now you're just a son of a dead god. There are quite a few others. If everyone has a trail of souls following them, how many people are actually free? If all former friends of every living Bhaalspawn were summoned, how many would be left behind?
Fortunately, you're the only one with a pocket plane. And the souls aren't "following" you, just... connected, or potentially connected, to the son.. or daughter... of said dead god.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:31 AM   #14
Betelgeuse
Zhentarim Guard

i was even able to summon anomen. never recruited him. i met him in soa. he asked if i was good. i told the truth and that made him angry and he left.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:33 AM   #15
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
I just tested a few of these with some interesting results. Yoshimo wasn't able to be summoned due to his decidedly inert physical status, so that implies no-one like him can join. But not having killed any other npc, I couldn't say for certain.

Despite Jaheira leaving my party after serious argumentative friction in Chateau Irenicus, she was also able to be summoned.

I started ToB with a level 23 Assassin and almost immediately recruited Sarevok, who was quickly able to be levelled up to level 18 - not quite the same, but essentially the fighter's equivalent.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #16
Betelgeuse
Zhentarim Guard

or you could just say yoshi is out of tob for story reasons. really annoyed me too, he was my main rogue. ended up with 2 thief mages where i couldn't increase there thief abilities.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:07 AM   #17
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
That's not strictly true Betel if you decide to kill Yoshimo for roleplaying reasons before his betrayal or if indeed he dies by another means.
Conversely, you can also try to keep him (if you don't have the baldurdash fix) by taking advantage of a couple of loopholes in the game.
One which I was meant to try this time around but forgot is the infamous 'petrify him before spellhold' method, returning later on with a stone to flesh scroll. You can also just save your game and import the savegame to ToB I believe.

The only thing is obviously he wouldn't have dialogues and banters, not being scripted to actually continue into ToB. That'd be an interesting job for an ambitious modder. [img]smile.gif[/img]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #18
Evilyn
Welcomed New User

(EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm replying to/commenting on the SixOfSpades post waaaay up there ^ somewhere.)

Since you're most likely THE SixOfSpades, you already know this and I'm just stating the blooming obvious, but the reason you

"can't call Coran, who spent three months tromping up & down the Sword Coast with me, and is currently just hanging out in some Tethyrian tavern"

is that he's not a BG2 NPC.

(Sorry for the pea-poor "quote insertion" but my damn browser won't let me use the Quote function and I'm way too lazy to format this nonsense.

[ 09-07-2006, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Evilyn ]
Evilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #19
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

My point was to deride the "strands of fate" explanation as being laughably close to nonsense. I could quite easily have gone through the entire game without even speaking to Korgan, or Mazzy, or Viconia, so what's this about my "stand of Fate" touching theirs?

But Adalon, now, I sure as hell touched her fate, but for some reason I can't call her. She must have an unlisted number or something.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Coran isn't a canon recruitable NPC in BG2--but that doesn't make any sense either. I can see Quayle settling down and leaving the life of adventuring, but Coran?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:58 AM   #20
Evilyn
Welcomed New User

That pre-ordained fate-stranding was one reason I never liked the opening of the game. I really, really don't want to see Minsc there in the cage, and I like even less that he breaks out on his own if I step 6 inches too close while trying to bust Jaheira out.

(My dirty secret is that I always kill Minsc on sight in BG1 - hence my dismay at finding him in the next cage over.)
Evilyn is offline   Reply With Quote