Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Thumbs Down Woman fined to tune of $1.9 million for illegal downloads

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/18/...ef=mpstoryview

I believe despite what the article says, it's for uploading, not for downloading....

I've made my views about piracy quite known on Ironworks before, and I stand by them. Piracy has killed and is killing any music industry, and has reduced the album-as-art to single song soundbytes, while removing the ability of artists and surrounding professionals to make a sustainable living. It's theft pure and simple.

However, the size of the fine is beyond ridiculous. The amount of misery they've caused this one woman is reprehensible. 3 years of court proceedings? Financial ruin? To make an example of her? The punishment doesn't fit the crime, nor does it take into account her situation. Ruining one woman's life doesn't bring back the years and art lost to piracy.

Piracy is wrong, but two wrongs don't make a right.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Woman fined to tune of $1.9 million for illegal downloads

But if you can't make an example of someone, how can you deter others from doing it? I too feel it's a ridonkulas amount and feel bad for her, I suspect it will be reduced. I also read that she was originally offered a 4-5k deal to settle this out of court but refused. Innocent, guilty or just stubborn?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:41 AM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

There's no way the music industry can get even a fraction of those people who download pirated material, so fines of this magnitude is the only way for them to get attention. By these high fines they hope to discourage others from software piracy.

Sort of a modern way of chopping of the hands of thieves. Not "fair" perhaps, but they hope to send a message.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Consequently, there's no way they'll get even a fraction of the penalties from the woman in what remains of her life.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

What if "Lady Justice" were allowed vision?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
There's no way the music industry can get even a fraction of those people who download pirated material, so fines of this magnitude is the only way for them to get attention. By these high fines they hope to discourage others from software piracy.

Sort of a modern way of chopping of the hands of thieves. Not "fair" perhaps, but they hope to send a message.
Actually they can and do, as it's all automated. They use Limewire/Kazzaa after after a program matches soundwaves for a pirate copy, they automatically trace the IP of the uploader, then the FBI contacts the IP provider for the user info. They start with a cease and desist (remove the files) then go on from there.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

that fine wont stop or even detur downloading of music; the probability of getting caught is so slim that the average person in their lifetime wont be prosecuted.
As for how they can 'catch you' there are a lot more programs out there than those two, and there are a lot more ways to keep your music on the hard drive hidden. The way of the future is in services that sell music online, the problem right now is that they want MUCH more money than the music is worth - eg 1 track for 1 dollar makes it cost as much or more than a CD, and its an MP3 or similar compressed music file so it is lower in quality than a CD (of course only an audiophile would tell the difference). I think that they should either drastically reduce the price per song, or sell the bandwidth on a monthly basis as per a low monthly subscription like an MMO. (of course i havent researched lately whats going on, this is based on my findings 2 years ago when i bought a total of 1 song and felt ripped off by itunes).

Personally, i find that i do not have any need whatsoever of downloading music regardless of how easy it is....there just arent any new artists that are actually worth listening to. Its quite sad how weak the turnout is for talent in the industry. I most sorely miss the originality and passion of music from the 90s and since i didn't even know about the internet at that point in time of my life i actually have CDs of all of the artists from that decade that i liked.
Gabrielles blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielles blades View Post
that fine wont stop or even detur downloading of music; the probability of getting caught is so slim that the average person in their lifetime wont be prosecuted.
Actually that quite untrue. And if you upload a song and make it available for sharing the odds are you WILL get caught by the automated process I just mentioned.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
there just arent any new artists that are actually worth listening to. Its quite sad how weak the turnout is for talent in the industry. I most sorely miss the originality and passion of music from the 90s
Gabrielle, you just aren't looking or listening in the right places. The new music being created is amazing, plentiful and keeps getting better and better. Across a lot of genres. I am constantly unearthing wonderful new music each day. NPR radio is a good place to start. Shows like "The alternate side". Certain iTunes radio stations are very good also. There's so much great new stuff it's mind boggling.

If you're relying on commercial radio or MTV or something to discover new music you'll be sorely disappointed.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:07 AM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
eg 1 track for 1 dollar makes it cost as much or more than a CD,
A new 10 song CD is $18. The same on iTunes is $9.91

As for value... The you're getting the single song for the 99c. In times past, to get that single song would mean you bought the album for $15.

So instead of a $15 sale there's now only a $1 sale. Which means far less income for the artists.

It means less experimentation for an album too. I bought many albums for one or two songs, and the less commercial songs grew on me. This is a way that new musical ideas get introduced into the lexicon and become mainstream.

Imagine if films did that?
Sold individual scenes.
People downloaded a car chase and ignored the scene where the meaning of life was discussed.
What do you think that would do to filmmaking?

It may seem inconceivable to you, but artists actually made ALBUMS comprised of songs that flowed and jointly said something.

This is why bands like ACDC refuse to break apart their albums to sell individually.

The other thing is, it costs so so much money to make an album or a song, and you grumble at paying a measly dollar? People invest years developing their skills and putting it all together to make something to entertain you and $1 is too steep.

Wow... maybe sing your own songs then?