Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-31-2002, 02:50 AM   #41
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Quote:
Originally posted by Redblueflare:
What's the point? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
My point exactly [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2002, 09:06 AM   #42
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander:
[/qb][/QB]
Now wait a second. Nowadays teachers and school administrators are basically a bunch of out-of-touch hypocrites who have no idea what would be best for any student. I'm sure if they were forced to go through the schools they work in, they would hate it. I applaud what Chewbacca did, at least if his teachers were real jerks, and I think that you lecturing him was totally uncalled for, especially since you probably don't know the full details of the situation. Not everyone has to be establishment-loving.

I remember a story my sister told me about her son - he was having a discussion with his friends the week after Columbine, and he mentioned that he could understand why the kids could be angry at their peers - after all, he was picked on for much of his life - and some idiot kids at the next table overheard it, thought "he's going to go shoot people", and told the principal, who sent him home for the day. Bear in mind that he thought Columbine was a tragedy and he never said he agreed with Harris and Klebold at all. Things like this are beyond ridiculous, and these idiots need a swift kick in the rear.[/QB][/QUOTE]
================================================== =============================

If you look closely, you will see I never said what he did was wrong. You will also notice that I was asking him for information, not telling him what he should do. I explained a couple of concepts from my perspective that is all.

As for teachers that are "out of touch" that is quite a broad and sweeping generalization which is something I get harangued about all the time. How do you make this judgement? your complaint about teachers has been made since the dawn of time, and yet each new generation of teachers who vowed as students to change things is still viewed as "out of touch". Do you think that maybe as students grow into adults, gain more education and advance in age and wisdom might just realize that as youths they saw things through a ...biased perception? Teachers are human beings, Parents, and family just like everyone else, I have never met a teacher who became a teacher just so he/she could go on a power trip and boss kids around. I think teahcers today deserve a whole lot more respect from everyone and less disrespect from the students. Why do you feel that teachers should not be in charge at school? Do you think parents should not be in charge at home if the child decides his parents are out of touch?

These are serious questions and I am genuinely interested in trying to see things from your perspective. I know that even as a kid in school, I didn't mind going to school and I loved to learn, so I was glad of people who were willing to teach....of course I wouldnt have worn a green mohawk or pierced anythng so maybe I lack the mentality to comprehend. Help me out.

Edit: By the way I moved a lot as a kid, was very very skinny about 118 at my Sr, Graduation..that is 5'10" and 118 pounds..stick boy status... I got picked on a lot and I had ready access to guns...never wanted to kill any one with them..so I don't buy that excuse for the columbine kids.

[ 05-31-2002, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-31-2002, 09:16 AM   #43
uss
20th Level Warrior

oh, i have another wierd story:
I read from the newspaper that a new rule might come. right now, in Estonia, to pass university, you must have 25 out 100 points in somekind/s of exam/s. some stupid f***ing idiots want to change it so that you have to get 1(!) point out of 100 so that every uneducated person can be acknowledged as educated and get normal jobs!!! this is KINDA unfair because you can really see the difference of a person who has studied hard in university and the other one who just drinks and has parties all night!

btw, when i watched the matrix trailer, it was very shocking to hear that Matrix is Rated-R in America!
Old 05-31-2002, 10:29 AM   #44
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Quote:
I noticed that you use a word made popular by Heinlein in the 60's (Grock) Do you know what it means?
it means: To Drink deeply.[/QUOTE]Ok, [img]smile.gif[/img] I came away from his writings with an entirely different meaning for that particular word (which I see I misspelled) ahh well one of the things about literature is that everyone will come away with their own impressions.

Old 05-31-2002, 10:33 AM   #45
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
I read from the newspaper that a new rule might come. right now, in Estonia, to pass university, you must have 25 out 100 points in somekind/s of exam/s. some stupid f***ing idiots want to change it so that you have to get 1(!) point out of 100 so that every uneducated person can be acknowledged as educated and get normal jobs!!! this is KINDA unfair because you can really see the difference of a person who has studied hard in university and the other one who just drinks and has parties all night!

btw, when i watched the matrix trailer, it was very shocking to hear that Matrix is Rated-R in America!
Are you serious? 1 question out of 100 is passing? wow.

Old 05-31-2002, 11:02 AM   #46
MagiK

Originally Posted By Chewie.....
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All you did was show that you could be a a jerk in the eyes of your teachers and probably most of your class mates....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for calling me a jerk.
================================================== ==============================
Actually, I said you acted like one, not that you were one. We all act out of character on occasion.

quote:
Did you do any good for the other people in the class who just wanted to do their projects and get out?

Here is an assumption.
================================================== ==============================
Actually the little ? thingy at the end of the sentence shows that it is an interogative....a question not an assumption or a judgement.

quote:
Did you help a single child in the inner city?

so again I ask, what do you really think you accomplished?

What is this supposed to mean?
You mentioned in your first post somehting about inner city kids being neglected or some such so I assumed (bad thing to do) that you ment your fight against the establishment had something to do with righting that wrong.

quote:
Why not put some of that energy and outrage at the establshment to good use by doing something that MIGHT have made a difference.

Another assumtion.
================================================== =============================
In this case I made a mistake of putting a . at the end of the sentence rather than the proper ? however you should still be able to infer from my use of the word "Why" at the beginning that it was ment as an interogative and not an assumption or statement of fact.

You really expected a friendly reply to this? an honest answer to a holier than thou sarcastic question? You drew a conclusion in the guise of a question. And you expect me to be nice?

What you see as holier than thou is just curiosity from someone who doesnt understand your thought process. I do expect a civil answer in most cases. Your comment that this first post of mine was what caused your retaliation is faulty since your attack did not come till after my second post where I tried to further explain that I was not attacking you.

Now here is an "Assumption" for you...It appears to me that you just want to be angry at anyone who doesnt accept your statements without question. If this assumption is wrong, I apologize but I still don't get your position...and it isnt really impportant that I do..as you sort of indicated..this is just a chat forum and nothing to get all worked up about.

[ 05-31-2002, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-31-2002, 11:07 AM   #47
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by uss:

Are you serious? 1 question out of 100 is passing? wow.[/QUOTE]yes, well, even.. Jar Jar Binks could pass!!
Old 05-31-2002, 01:33 PM   #48
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
As for teachers that are "out of touch" that is quite a broad and sweeping generalization which is something I get harangued about all the time.
During my time at university, it was accepted by many--including professors--that the students who were the most "out of touch" (and that is putting it very nicely [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) were the education majors.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:20 PM   #49
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally Posted By Chewie.....
quote:
All you did was show that you could be a a jerk in the eyes of your teachers and probably most of your class mates....

Thanks for calling me a jerk.
Actually, I said you acted like one, not that you were one. We all act out of character on occasion.

quote:
Did you do any good for the other people in the class who just wanted to do their projects and get out?

Here is an assumption.
Actually the little ? thingy at the end of the sentence shows that it is an interogative....a question not an assumption or a judgement.

quote:
Did you help a single child in the inner city?

so again I ask, what do you really think you accomplished?

What is this supposed to mean?
You mentioned in your first post somehting about inner city kids being neglected or some such so I assumed (bad thing to do) that you ment your fight against the establishment had something to do with righting that wrong.

quote:
Why not put some of that energy and outrage at the establshment to good use by doing something that MIGHT have made a difference.

Another assumtion.
In this case I made a mistake of putting a . at the end of the sentence rather than the proper ? however you should still be able to infer from my use of the word "Why" at the beginning that it was ment as an interogative and not an assumption or statement of fact.

You really expected a friendly reply to this? an honest answer to a holier than thou sarcastic question? You drew a conclusion in the guise of a question. And you expect me to be nice?

What you see as holier than thou is just curiosity from someone who doesnt understand your thought process. I do expect a civil answer in most cases. Your comment that this first post of mine was what caused your retaliation is faulty since your attack did not come till after my second post where I tried to further explain that I was not attacking you.

Now here is an "Assumption" for you...It appears to me that you just want to be angry at anyone who doesnt accept your statements without question. If this assumption is wrong, I apologize but I still don't get your position...and it isnt really impportant that I do..as you sort of indicated..this is just a chat forum and nothing to get all worked up about.
Quite frankly I was relating a personal testimony, not making a statement. I'll answer any questions that are thoughtfully presented.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:32 PM   #50
MagiK

Quote:
Quite frankly I was relating a personal testimony, not making a statement. I'll answer any questions that are thoughtfully presented.
Cool, I am working on my presentation, I have a tendancy to be too direct for some people, so am learning to more carefully word my querys.

Here are a few Q's for you if you feel like answering.
1. Why a mohawk? They always looked very uncomfortable to me.
2. Do you really feel that all teachers are out for power trips?
The teahcers I know seem to be anything but power hungry, they generally have a desire to really help kids get through the hardships of becoming an adult and school.
3. How do you see, teachers doing their job without arbitrary rules that do in fact limit the rights of kid? We limit the rights of children all the time, we make rules for them, we put curfews on them and as parents we punish them. When (and where) I went to school, teachers were expecxted to act as an extension of the parents authority.

And lastly how do you feel about parents searching their kids rooms for signs of drug paraphenalia, cigarrettes and other proscribed items. I know this last question is not related to our earlier discussion but I am curious to hear from some one who has chosen a style so much different than my own.