Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2003, 09:54 AM   #1
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Just having a couple of fights with these nasty guys and I have a Q:

is there a 100% protection from that poison cloud that Bloodcaster throws at you ?

I know that Mirror Image helps but it is not 100% - already tested.
Ring of Gaxx and other anti-venom items prevent you from getting poisoned but you still get damaged in the cloud.
I also tried SI: Evocation and it didn't work either.

So - anyone knows ?
Old 11-08-2003, 02:58 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Periapt of Proof Against Poison (it's an amulet) + Spell Imunity: Evocation should do the trick.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 12:21 PM   #3
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Protection from Magic scroll, perhaps...

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 02:11 PM   #4
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
I want to protect my sorceror for a no-reloads game and I want him to cast spells - so that is out of the question. It might work though ...

I tested the fight a couple of times and usually have enough time to cast time stop (with robe and amulet) before I am interupted - but not always. The poison cloud is coming towards me and Bloodbane also.
Spell Trigger - Mirror Image, PFMW, Stoneskin - is the best defense at the beginning - but as I said - mirror image is not 100% safe and I am looking for a 100% protection - if there is one ...
Old 11-09-2003, 03:05 PM   #5
Buster_Wiz
Dungeon Master

It has been forever since I have played ToB so correct me if I am totally thinking of the wrong guy, but in that encounter I set up a chain contengency to fire 3 ADHW's upon sight of nearest enemy, and that seemed to take care of many poison guys before they had a chance to launch any terrible attacks (I think it left 1-3 standing IIRC)
Buster_Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 04:33 PM   #6
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Buster_Wiz:
It has been forever since I have played ToB so correct me if I am totally thinking of the wrong guy, but in that encounter I set up a chain contengency to fire 3 ADHW's upon sight of nearest enemy, and that seemed to take care of many poison guys before they had a chance to launch any terrible attacks (I think it left 1-3 standing IIRC)
Yes, that's true. But when CC trigers - the poison cloud and Bloodbane are already on the way ...
And that cloud does around 40 damage on insane. So 2 rounds in that cloud and bye-bye sorcy ...
There also Project force - psionics type spells - which push you around. So if one of them pushes you in the cloud again (that's what happened to me in my last no-reloads game ) - you are in trouble.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:38 PM   #7
Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Leslie:
quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
I want to protect my sorceror for a no-reloads game and I want him to cast spells - so that is out of the question. It might work though ...

I tested the fight a couple of times and usually have enough time to cast time stop (with robe and amulet) before I am interupted - but not always. The poison cloud is coming towards me and Bloodbane also.
Spell Trigger - Mirror Image, PFMW, Stoneskin - is the best defense at the beginning - but as I said - mirror image is not 100% safe and I am looking for a 100% protection - if there is one ...
[/QUOTE]May I ask how you are possible testing a game in a no reload game? If you're testing it, it means you are reloading. Am I missing something here?
If you want your sorceror to cast spells, then why is casting protection from magic out of question? It is a spell, afterall.
Try Protectoin from Energy (level 8 wizard spell). It grants 75% resistance to "all energy attacks suc as fire, cold, acid, magic and electricity whther magical or non magical such as spells, weapons, wants, breath weapons, etc."

Edit: Protection from Magic wouldn't work. Leslie is talking about poison damage. That is not magic damage (magic missile is magic damage)

[ 11-09-2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Lord ]

Old 11-09-2003, 07:20 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

/me facepalms.

Lord... using PfMagic on his Sorcerer would disable ALL his spellcasting. Seeing as to how he is a Sorcerer, that is not desirable. PfMagic will protect from the Cloudkill, but render his Sorcerer utterly helpless.

Leslie, do you have Contingency as well? These are what I used... ...

Contingency: Stoneskin
Chain Contingency: ADHWx3 on self upon sighted enemies.
Spell Trigger: PfMagical Weapons, Spell Immunity:Evocation (IMPORTANT!!!! This will prevent spell interruption from the Cloudkill), Mirror Image

Cast Time Stop ASAP, followed by IA. Project Image is a no-no here, due to the Cloudkill and risk to your real self (the fighting arena being so small).

At the end of the TS+IA, refresh your PfMagical Weapons. You seriously, seriously do not want Bloodbane to hit you.

Cast a Planetar or Skeleton Warriors (2 will do) next to the creature wielding Bloodbane. Use up the rest of your summoning limit on the other side. Avoid summoning them within the Cloudkill. If you choose a Planetar, make it cast Globe of Blades and make sure it fights the creature ALONE. GoB will cause other summons to hostile if they get hit by it. The creature will also still suffer from the GoB if it succeeds in stunning the Planetar (highly unlikely).

The rest is elementary. Have fun, and good luck.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 03:46 AM   #9
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Lord,
thanks for your concern - but testing was going after my no-reloads game ended. (heh, I killed Demogorgon, all the WK, and then some b...y Bloodcaster ends my run )

Dundeee,
Thanks for all the help. After Time Stop ends, all are usually dead. I reused CC bomb twice in the time stop - so that is 9 ADHW's flying around.

I will go test SI: Evocation - the last time it didn't work. I think the Mirror Image did the trick.

Edited: SI: Evocation is not working, and SI: Alteration neither.

And I can't put Spell Immunity into a Spell Trigger or into a Chain Contingency !

And Chain Contingeny goes up too late - if I have protections in it. I'm already hit when it goes up. So - yes, CC bomb is the only good solution.

(on one of my last tests poison cloud did 53 dmg to my sorc !)

[ 11-10-2003, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: Leslie ]
Old 11-10-2003, 07:25 PM   #10
Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
/me facepalms.

Lord... using PfMagic on his Sorcerer would disable ALL his spellcasting. Seeing as to how he is a Sorcerer, that is not desirable. PfMagic will protect from the Cloudkill, but render his Sorcerer utterly helpless.

Leslie, do you have Contingency as well? These are what I used... ...

Contingency: Stoneskin
Chain Contingency: ADHWx3 on self upon sighted enemies.
Spell Trigger: PfMagical Weapons, Spell Immunity:Evocation (IMPORTANT!!!! This will prevent spell interruption from the Cloudkill), Mirror Image

Cast Time Stop ASAP, followed by IA. Project Image is a no-no here, due to the Cloudkill and risk to your real self (the fighting arena being so small).

At the end of the TS+IA, refresh your PfMagical Weapons. You seriously, seriously do not want Bloodbane to hit you.

Cast a Planetar or Skeleton Warriors (2 will do) next to the creature wielding Bloodbane. Use up the rest of your summoning limit on the other side. Avoid summoning them within the Cloudkill. If you choose a Planetar, make it cast Globe of Blades and make sure it fights the creature ALONE. GoB will cause other summons to hostile if they get hit by it. The creature will also still suffer from the GoB if it succeeds in stunning the Planetar (highly unlikely).

The rest is elementary. Have fun, and good luck.
Well, I didn't know that PFMW disables your magic spells. Why does it do that?