Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2002, 09:55 PM   #51
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Quite frankly I was relating a personal testimony, not making a statement. I'll answer any questions that are thoughtfully presented.
Cool, I am working on my presentation, I have a tendancy to be too direct for some people, so am learning to more carefully word my querys.

Here are a few Q's for you if you feel like answering.
1. Why a mohawk? They always looked very uncomfortable to me.

2. Do you really feel that all teachers are out for power trips?
The teahcers I know seem to be anything but power hungry, they generally have a desire to really help kids get through the hardships of becoming an adult and school.
3. How do you see, teachers doing their job without arbitrary rules that do in fact limit the rights of kid? We limit the rights of children all the time, we make rules for them, we put curfews on them and as parents we punish them. When (and where) I went to school, teachers were expecxted to act as an extension of the parents authority.

And lastly how do you feel about parents searching their kids rooms for signs of drug paraphenalia, cigarrettes and other proscribed items. I know this last question is not related to our earlier discussion but I am curious to hear from some one who has chosen a style so much different than my own.
[/QUOTE]1.the mohawk, its quite liberating in the hot summers of the south to have that much less hair, besides thats the joy of being an individaul...expressing oneself as they may!

2. No, but that particular teacher sure did. She picked on myself and few other students who were self expressive. In no way did I imply all teachers were psycologically unqualified, only some. The teacher who replaced her was quite open-minded, like I stated he even helped us do a similar project, fully aware that the previous teacher treid to censor us.

3. Rules either need to be enforced for all or none. In the expirience I related, their was no rule against content except drugs, sex, and violence. Its true, your not covered by constitutional rights in school. Schools can tell you how to dress, what to say, and how to say it. Perhaps the teacher had recourse to censor our work in light of this, that still doesnt make it right.

4. My parents tried that and it didnt stop me from doing anything. I think parents should talk to their kids, encourage honesty, and above all dont punish that honesty. Behaving mistrustful breeds mistrust is what I am saying. Fortunatly I am on good terms with my parents now, but a mutual lack of trust and respect was a weight on our relationship during my teen years.

Forgive me for misunderstanding the wording of your first reply. I dont take no sh*t, and tend to stand up for myself if somebody gives me some. It seemed like that was your intent. I dont mind chatting up my POV or reading yours. Thats one of the reasons I frequent this joint, all the varied viewpoints and personalities.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:04 PM   #52
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
1.the mohawk, its quite liberating in the hot summers of the south to have that much less hair, besides thats the joy of being an individaul...expressing oneself as they may!

2. No, but that particular teacher sure did. She picked on myself and few other students who were self expressive. In no way did I imply all teachers were psycologically unqualified, only some. The teacher who replaced her was quite open-minded, like I stated he even helped us do a similar project, fully aware that the previous teacher treid to censor us.

3. Rules either need to be enforced for all or none. In the expirience I related, their was no rule against content except drugs, sex, and violence. Its true, your not covered by constitutional rights in school. Schools can tell you how to dress, what to say, and how to say it. Perhaps the teacher had recourse to censor our work in light of this, that still doesnt make it right.

4. My parents tried that and it didnt stop me from doing anything. I think parents should talk to their kids, encourage honesty, and above all dont punish that honesty. Behaving mistrustful breeds mistrust is what I am saying. Fortunatly I am on good terms with my parents now, but a mutual lack of trust and respect was a weight on our relationship during my teen years.

Forgive me for misunderstanding the wording of your first reply. I dont take no sh*t, and tend to stand up for myself if somebody gives me some. It seemed like that was your intent. I dont mind chatting up my POV or reading yours. Thats one of the reasons I frequent this joint, all the varied viewpoints and personalities.
Coolness, I think I see where you were coming from now. In my opinion, as long as you refrained from including violence, sex or other proscribed material in the music you used, the teacher really should not have tried to censor what music you used. As for the trust between kids and parents, its going to be interesting to say the least for me in a couple of years when my son becomes a teen. Thanks for the info, I learned several good things.

Pax!

Edit: As for the last paragraph you wrote in that reply, hehehe you and I are a lot the same there.

[ 05-31-2002, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]