Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 11-20-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

How long does it take for Jan's personal quest to occur after he joins the party?

I am running a solo bard (Skald kit), but I'm also picking up the various NPC's long enough to do their personal quests. I don't plan on using them for any of the major encounters or quests, but I'm trying to do as much of the game as possible.

I just met Jan in the Government District on my way to seek the services of Sarle for the Temple of Lathandar. So far, he has only been with me for about 1 full day of "Game Time".

I'm trying to avoid starting any other major enounters or quests until I get Jan's quest taken care of - though I don't see any problem with finishing the quest with Sarles since it doesn't involve any battles.

Just wondering how long I have to wait for the messenger to approach Jan?
Old 11-20-2004, 04:18 PM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

It is random. A random timer is generated at some point (possibly during a banter, or when Jan joins you), which tells the game when to spawn the messenger.
There is no way to tell ahead of time exactly when it will happen(although there is a console command that can cause th etimer to expire earlier), but it is worth noting that Jan's quest is usually quite late in the game.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:15 PM   #3
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Thanks for the info, LennonCook. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I'm not willing to keep Jan through that much of the game - unless I find out I can't make it on my own. This is my first solo attempt and the only serious challenge I've gone up against so far are the druids in Trademeet. I haven't done De'Arnise, Firkraag, Windspear or any of the other "big" quests...so I don't know how my bard will handle them. I may end up getting one or two partners as the encounters get harder - but for now I'm still trying to make it on my own.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:48 PM   #4
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Funny, I thought it was either 10 or 15 days.

I can't tell you for sure though.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2004, 01:23 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
It will start at the most inconvenient time possible, probably in the middle of two other quests where time is of the essence.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 04:20 PM   #6
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Thanks for all the information. Jan and his quest will just have to wait for another game and a different PC.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:46 PM   #7
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
It will start at the most inconvenient time possible, probably in the middle of two other quests where time is of the essence.
I can second that. For me it started just as I was about to fight the Shade Lord.