Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-23-2004, 10:24 AM   #11
Grojlach
Zartan

Outkast are great, and are definitely one of the more refreshing hiphop-acts within the last decade (along with Dizzee Rascal's 2003 album Boy in da corner). Haven't bought anything rap/hiphop-related in years, but I'm seriously considering buying Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, even though they turned it into a double-CD with more filler than is good for one's patience; they could have released an absolutely great 1 CD album instead.

And Timber, I doubt no one got the 50 cent reference - but there's a difference between noting and actually caring.

[ 02-23-2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 02-23-2004, 10:50 AM   #12
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
along with Dizzee Rascal's 2003 album Boy in da corner
I love that album, I think it's one of the best new things I've heard in ages. Tbh, I've not been inspired by much music produced over the last decade or so, but last year was excellent and proved that you don't necessarily have to be shite to get into the charts!
Old 02-23-2004, 10:56 AM   #13
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Now that you mention it I get the 50 cent reference, but only scan-read the post in the first place.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:08 PM   #14
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I'll make a note to check out Dizee Rascal. Grijoliach, lol on the 50 Cent and touche. And note how I continue to try to identify new ways to misspell your name.

I like the new albums a lot, very mellow and smooth stuff. You'll be surprised how non-hiphop-ish some of the stuff on The Love Below is.

One reason they released it that way, as noted in a recent article I read, is that basically they made these albums independently rather than as a group. Big Boi and Andre have distanced themselves from each other quite a bit and their music is starting to grow apart. Will Outkast break up?
Old 02-23-2004, 04:07 PM   #15
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
I'll make a note to check out Dizee Rascal. Grijoliach, lol on the 50 Cent and touche. And note how I continue to try to identify new ways to misspell your name.

I like the new albums a lot, very mellow and smooth stuff. You'll be surprised how non-hiphop-ish some of the stuff on The Love Below is.

One reason they released it that way, as noted in a recent article I read, is that basically they made these albums independently rather than as a group. Big Boi and Andre have distanced themselves from each other quite a bit and their music is starting to grow apart. Will Outkast break up?
I was aware of the idea behind the album, but thanks for the info regardless. They were smart enough to combine their solo efforts under the established name of Outkast, though - I doubt Hey Ya would have been as successful in the global charts if it was released under Andre 3000's name.

And the Dizzee Rascal album has been released in the US recently (by Matador), so at least that'll save you from having to pay for any expensive import versions, if it comes to that.
You can download the track Fix up, look sharp at the Matador site. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-23-2004, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 02-24-2004, 12:17 AM   #16
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I have this problem: Whenever I play "Hey Ya" I can't help but dance around like an idiot. My wife looks at me like I'm a freak... and then joins in. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

Andre's album contains a really good song called "Happy Valentine's Day," and I'm wondering why he didn't release this song in January. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2004, 03:35 PM   #17
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I think Hey-ya is an amazing song for one reason - Its one of the only modern songs i know that all kinda of people like. I like it, 'cool kids' like it, all the 'sozard' kids like it, all the 'god hates us all' kids like it. I'm sure you get the picture.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:29 PM   #18
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

What's so cool is that the song is very reminiscent of older upbeat dance music while still being cool enough to be played in modern dance clubs. (Does anyone know if it a reworking of a 60's song?) Then there are the tongue-in-cheek lyrics where very dodgy things are suggested, but sung in a way that they are almost disguised. It's quite clever, as is most of the album.

Here are the lyrics if you're interested.

My baby don't mess around
Because she loves me so
And this I know fa sho (Uh!)
But does she really wanna
But can't stand to see me walk out the do'
Don't try to fight the feeling
'Cause the thought alone
Is killing me right now (Uh!)
Thank God for Mom and Dad
For sticking two (too?) together
'Cause we don't know how

Hey Ya.. Hey Ya (X4)
Hey Ya.. Hey Ya
Hey Ya.. Hey Ya
Hey Ya.. Hey Ya

You think you've got it
Oh, you think you've got it
But got it just don't get it
Til theres's nothing at all (Ah!)
We get together
Oh, we get together
But separate's always better
When there's feelings involved (Oh!)
If what they say is 'nothing is forever,'
Then what makes
Then what makes
Then what makes
Then what makes
Then what makes (What makes? What makes?)
Love the exception?
So why oh, why oh
Why oh, why oh, why oh
Are we so in denial
When we know we're not happy here?

(Ya'll don't want to hear me
You just want to dance
Hey Ya.. Hey Ya
Hey Ya.. Hey Ya
Hey Ya.. Hey Ya
Hey Ya.. Hey Ya)

Oh oh!
Oh oh!
Don't want to meet your daddy (Oh oh!)
Just want you in my Caddy (Oh oh! Oh oh!)
Don't want to meet your momma (Oh oh!)
Just want to make you come-a (Oh oh!)
I'm (Oh oh!)
I'm (Oh oh!)
I'm just being honest (Oh oh!)
I'm just being honest

Hey! Alright now!
Alright now, fellas! (Yeah!)
Now what's cooler than being cool? (Ice cold!)
I can't hear ya!
I say what's, what's cooler than being cool? (Ice cold!)
Alright! (15x)

Okay now, ladies! (Yeah!)
Now we gon' break this thing down in just a few seconds
Now don't have me break this thing down for nothin!
Now I wanna see ya'll on ya'll baddest behavior!
Lend me some sugar!
I am your neighbor!
Ah! Here we go! Uh!

Shake it, sh-shake it (Oh oh!) (X4)
Shake it like a polaroid picture
Shake it, sh-shake it (X5)

(Shake it, sh-shake it (X4)
Sh-shake it
Shake it, sh-shake it (X4)
Shake it like a polaroid picture)

Now all Beyonce's and Lucy Lui's and baby dolls
Get on the floor
Get on the floor
You know what to do (X3)

Hey Ya.. Hey Ya (X5)

[ 02-25-2004, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 02-25-2004, 04:45 PM   #19
Grojlach
Zartan

AMG lists the song as being written by Dre 3000 himself (with no other credits), so I think it's a safe guess to name it an original song. 'Sides, OutKast was never really one to cover others; they've proved on more than one occasion that they're capable of writing killer hooks, and this is no different. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2004, 06:21 PM   #20
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Hats off to them totally! I'm a big fan of outkast and I think he's one of the only people who could get away with the outfit he wears in that video in parts and still look like one cool dude